What is your favorite Double-Bit?

KentuckyBlackBird

Basic Member
Hey all,
It occurred to me that we haven’t seen too many new discussion posts in a little while.

With that said, I’d like to start this one on the premise that you have a favorite double-bit axe. If you have one, post a pic(s) of it or them and tell us why it’s your favorite.

I’ll start out with:
Belknap Bluegrass 3^2. It is the perfect size. There seems to have been lots of work done with this dude, but there is a lot left in it. Though it could work every day, it is a hanger. It t was given to me by someone close to me and was the first DB I ever owned.

Let’s see what you got. View attachment 2437673View attachment 2437686

Last edited:
2.5 lb Collins cruiser, just because it was my first cruiser, and really made me fall in love with them. I don’t usually keep them, because I don’t use them, but I’ve kept this one.

View attachment 2437701
That’s an awesome example of a Collin’s cruiser you have there. The patina is out of this world. I don’t own any, but have been on the hunt for one for quite some time now. I’m don’t use a DB per se, but I have five total in my collection.

That’s an awesome example of a Collin’s cruiser you have there. The patina is out of this world. I don’t own any, but have been on the hunt for one for quite some time now. I’m don’t use a DB per se, but I have five total in my collection.

Thanks! I put fake (vinegar) patina on just about all of them since I usually buy very rough examples. That one was pretty clean but it did color nicely. Some axes are just very fun to pick up and hold. Instant bonding. For me, that little Collins is one of those.

I’ve never used vinegar to put patina on steel. I have/do use it for heavy rust buildup when called for. How do you get that finish to be so consistent, if you don’t mind my asking?

Thanks! I put fake (vinegar) patina on just about all of them since I usually buy very rough examples. That one was pretty clean but it did color nicely. Some axes are just very fun to pick up and hold. Instant bonding. For me, that little Collins is one of those.
Care to share how you did it? It d like to try it.

Care to share how you did it? It d like to try it.

I buy junk axes usually. I tune them up with files and various power tools, then get them into an ultrasonic cleaner full of white vinegar for as long as they need, brass wire wheels for a uniform texture for the vinegar to attack. I put the final edges on after I’m happy with the patina, papering and buffing after they’re hung.

By far this one!! Paid $4 for it at an estate sale. Found in the wild!! My first big score!!

It was even more rusty than this, I could barely make out what kind it was when I first looked at it. I wish I would have gotten a picture of it before I cleaned it.

Last edited:
By far this one!! Paid $4 for it at an estate sale. Found in the wild!! My first big score!!

It was even more rusty than this, I could barely make out what kind it was when I first looked at it. I wish I would have gotten a picture of it before I cleaned it.

That looks like a monster sized axe head. Is it a 4#?

I don't have any double axes. But I think they're beautiful. It's my dream to have one.
I always look on Ebay, there are endless possibilities, some at a good price, but shipping to Brazil is very expensive. Not to mention that when you get here you will have another 60% tax to pay. Which makes the purchase unfeasible.
For now, just admiring friends' posts.

This 4lb TT Kelly handmade California peeler is my favorite DB, I bought it from my neighbor a few years ago.

He wasn't really interested in selling because it belonged to his grandfather but I convinced him to let it go to a good home, and he only ended up wanting $10 for the head.

Question from a newly interested axe guy…

Is a double bit axe always two ends with sharpened edges? Or could it be one standard sharp edge and say one hammer or pick on the other end?

This 4lb TT Kelly handmade California peeler is my favorite DB, I bought it from my neighbor a few years ago.

He wasn't really interested in selling because it belonged to his grandfather but I convinced him to let it go to a good home, and he only ended up wanting $10 for the head.
Never seen one like that. Excellent example!

AA&TCo's Ideal Ridge Cruiser on 28 inch haft. It has lost some patina due to use since pics were taken.

I'm partial cruisers myself. It's hard to find that pattern that isn't used up and first I have seen it as a cruiser.

Have you gave it a go splitting firewood?

Back