What is Your Most Sentimental Knife/Knives?

Most everyone I know that is into knives has at least one if not more knives that hold a special place in your heart. It might not be your most valuable, sharp, used, or even most liked. However we keep them none the less. Perhaps it’s your fathers old pocket knife you remembered him using while you grew up, or it was your first hunting knife. I’m curious to find out what your sentimental knives are. I understand this isn’t a Becker related topic per-say but it is a bit of a community in this sub forum and that’s who this directed towards.

For me there are two that stand out right off the bat. Both of them are knives that belonged to my grandfathers. The first knife was my mother’s fathers. He passed away this summer. A few months after he passed my Grandma wanted me to go through his workshop and take any tools I thought might have a use for. When in his work shop I came across his WWII Ka-bar USN MK2 (He was a lieutenant in the navy during WWII)

100_1435.jpg

100_1443.jpg

100_1442.jpg

100_1444.jpg

The second was my grandpas on my father’s side. He passed when I was about three so I never really knew him. Still this was one of my first knives and because it was his makes it more special.

100_1452.jpg

100_1446.jpg

100_1447.jpg

100_1449.jpg

So what are your guy’s sentimental knives?

Incredible blades you got.

I dont have any old blades or really Sentimental ones, but one I will never get rid of is a Esee 6 I got from Jeff Randal....

Mine is an old Case Stockman I got when my grandfather passed away a couple years ago. Its been in my pocket ever since.

Got a couple, my late father's old timer lockback that he had carried since I was young and a case mini copperlock engraved with daddy that I got from wife and son on my 1st father's day. Love the pics of your blades buddy, great stuff.

Incredible blades you got.

I dont have any old blades or really Sentimental ones, but one I will never get rid of is a Esee 6 I got from Jeff Randal....

I really like the blade profile on allot of the ESEE knives but have always backed out because of the handle. It just looks too......Square to be comfortable. When its in hand does it feel natural or does it feel a bit blocky.

Mine is an old Case Stockman I got when my grandfather passed away a couple years ago. Its been in my pocket ever since.

That's great man, I know i love my little case sodbuster. It's really nice that you sentimental knife is small enough that you can pocket carry it. I have always thought so many of the case knives had that grandfatherly feel to them. Perhaps why I was drawn to the CV sodbuster.

Got a couple, my late father's old timer lockback that he had carried since I was young and a case mini copperlock engraved with daddy that I got from wife and son on my 1st father's day. Love the pics of your blades buddy, great stuff.

I have one of my fathers old timer lock backs also, Its one that he had used, abused, and then put our of commission. So I snagged it from him and sharpened and polished it up. I was really surprised how nicely that little lock back took an edge. Sounds like you got a few that will never leave the collection! Thanks for sharing.

In 1977 my fiance and I were struggling college students, squeezing every penny to cover our college costs and put money aside for our wedding. One Saturday I dragged her to a gun show at the old Masonic Auditorium in Toledo, OH and she played the good girlfriend, pretending to be interested in all the guns and knives I was pointing out. I passed one guy's table a few times and admired the Case bowie knife he had for sale. I really liked it but it was way more than I could afford at something like $40. My sweetie excused herself saying she had to go to the restroom and I continued to walk the displays.

After we left the show and were in the car headed back to her house she reached into the back seat and pulled out the Case knife. I was floored! After she left me to 'go to the restroom' she circled back around to the dealer, bought the knife and took it out to the car. She was proud when she told me she talked the dealer down to $37.

This is one knife I'll never get rid of.

P6190046.JPG

For me it would have to be my dads old yellow case trapper. He died in September and that was the knife he always carried. It saw years of work when his mind was clear and quite a bit of abuse when it wasn't. Still, him and that knife is what gave me the love I have for knives so it will always be precious to me. It's the 3rd one down in the pic.

P1010759.jpg

Unfortunately I have no knives from previous generations so I suppose my favorite is a Randall Alaskan Skinner, Model 11,that I bought 30 years ago. It has field dressed and skinned dozens of deer over the decades. I know some think a Randall or similar quality knife should not be used or carried but I bought it specifically to have a good fixed blade hunting knife and it has served me well over the years. Someday it will be passed on...

My grandfather carried it. My father carried it. I've carried it. My son will have it someday.
Honk Falls factory burned in the 20's, so this knife will be turning 100 in the not-too-distant future.

HF1.jpg

HF3.jpg

Here are some more...

Top to bottom: same Honk Falls serpentine jack, Uncle Henry stockman my granddad carried, a Boker one-handed-opener that was my father's, a Boker that was my first knife, and a Ka-Bar that I always associate with my father's tackle box.

Memory.jpg

In 1977 my fiance and I were struggling college students, squeezing every penny to cover our college costs and put money aside for our wedding. One Saturday I dragged her to a gun show at the old Masonic Auditorium in Toledo, OH and she played the good girlfriend, pretending to be interested in all the guns and knives I was pointing out. I passed one guy's table a few times and admired the Case bowie knife he had for sale. I really liked it but it was way more than I could afford at something like $40. My sweetie excused herself saying she had to go to the restroom and I continued to walk the displays.

After we left the show and were in the car headed back to her house she reached into the back seat and pulled out the Case knife. I was floored! After she left me to 'go to the restroom' she circled back around to the dealer, bought the knife and took it out to the car. She was proud when she told me she talked the dealer down to $37.

This is one knife I'll never get rid of.

P6190046.JPG

Awesome story! I wouldn't mind seeing more pics of that bowie.

Jeremy

I have a Buck 110 that I'm quite fond of that my brother gave me as a gift when I was something like 12. It has cleaned its fair share of deer, but has now been retired and replaced with some fixed blades. At Thanksgiving dinner my dad told me he had an old folder that he hasn't used in a long time that he would find and give to me. I'm kinda really excited about getting it.

Here is mine. It is a Randall Model 5-5 with Angier configuration. O1 steel, Nickel hilt, 1980's spacer set up, black Micarta that looks green at times, and compass.

2ahabn5.jpg

ouo3m8.jpg

m7b0y8.jpg

Comparison shot of my 5-5's Micarta and the newer Micarta.

Last edited:
Guyon, I think its great that, that knife has been passed through the generations like that. Hopefully it will be a treasure for many more generations.

IMG_20111213_092930.jpg

Top one is a Morseth blade. Grandpa made the handle from cocobolo and aluminum.

Bottom one he made from 440c, micarta with phenolic, and brass

5245288166_9d9466b46f_b.jpg

I got this knife February 14th, 1992 at the RAF Bentwaters Air Force base in England at the ripe old age of 11. (After doing some quick math I think it might have actually been 1993.) My father and I were at one of the shops on base and he was getting some stuff for my mom for Valentines Day. I had a penchant for saving my allowance for these days we visited this shop, and I remember that originally I had set out to get a new Lego set. The one I wanted they didn't have in stock though, and back then there wasn't much of a call for ordering stuff, so if they didn't have it, you pretty much didn't get it until they did, or you found it someplace else.

I remember that I was a little distraught at not finding the Lego set I wanted, but then after some wandering around I found a small section with some knives on the wall, and was incredibly intrigued by them. Would my dad let me get one? Only one way to find out... I asked my dad if I could get one, and he told me that he didn't have a problem with that, provided I took care of it and was very careful with it. (How different life was back then.) He then mentioned to me that there were other knives for sale in a different area of the shop. I saw this one and was immediately smitten with it. He tried to convince me to get the pilot version as it came with a whetstone, but I wasn't having any of that, and after some further deliberation and the realization that this wouldn't wipe out all the allowance I had saved, I bit the bullet, and purchased my first knife.

Several years went by at this point, and after it was all said and done, this and a stuffed animal I got the same day were the only things I had. I gave my new baby brother the stuffed animal a year ago right after he was born, leaving this, and only this, as my oldest possession, and the dearest. My parents divorced a few short years after I got this knife, and my mother's choice in men was, at the time, less than perfect. Her second husband was fairly abusive, and there were times at night when I worried when the next altercation would happen. This knife was near me almost permanently during those times, mostly outside, but at night, it lived under my pillow, just in case. I think that it was my security blanket for the longest time, and honestly, having it around me constantly probably stopped more fights than anything. There were some good times though, and where we lived in Arkansas was an outdoor paradise. Our back lot was filled with woods, and extended for quite some ways. My step-father's parents owned the next couple of lots over, so the woods seemed endless, and I was given free reign to do as I wished. I stayed outside to avoid him, but despite that I truly treasured my time outside there.

I made many shelters using that knife and that knife alone to fell many trees (back before I knew anything about preservation or that maybe I shouldn't just cut down every tree in sight) but thankfully due to the understanding of the limitations of the knife, most of the stuff cut down was fairly small and not missed. I made a bridge that spanned a creek between the lots that was easily 14 feet wide, and it was a sturdy and well built bridge. I made many hidden lean-tos that later became some great shelters for paintball, and those were times well remembered. Outside, in my dad's old BDU's, wearing a pair of his old issue boots, sleeping under the stars and just loving the outdoors.

After my mom had the good sense to leave, I moved several times, bouncing back and forth between her house (where ever it happened to be at any given time) and my dad's, and in the process lost or misplaced or just plain discarded almost every thing I owned. Stupid on my part I suppose, but looking back, I cannot think of anything else that I really treasured. This knife was, at the end of it all, the only thing that mattered. It was my safety, my tool, and the one thing that never let me down. Years of what I would now consider abuse saw only mild damage to the knife, a slight loosening of the pin that holds the tang in place.

Last year, during a particularly emotional time with my fiancee's son, I gave him this knife. I showed him how sharp it was after over 18 years of ownership, and never had I seen someone so impressed. I showed him how it would shave arm hair, and during the process managed to slice a hair in half lengthwise. His jaw dropped. I then showed him the scar on my left arm, and explained that doing the shaving my arm hair thing is what had earned me that scar, in a rare moment of not respecting the knife as I should have. He understood. It was then that I gave him the knife, and I thought it was a fitting gift for earning his tote'em chit in Boy Scouts. I would catch him just holding it, looking at it, always with a look of awe and reverence.

He took it out a couple months after I gave it to him and for the first time in over 8 years gave her a taste of some work. She isn't as sharp now, and there are a couple of rolls on the sharpened swedge on the back that I steeled out (for the most part), but every now and then I will see him at his desk, hunched over it with a ceramic rod I gave him, doing his best to get it back to razor sharpness. I try to help him sometimes, but mostly I let him learn for himself as he forges that bond with the knife.

I have since gotten him a BK11, and a very nice SAK that he doesn't seem too fond of, but he is getting a new folder for Christmas that he picked out but thinks I forgot about. He has some other junky pocket knives, gas station deals and whatnot, but he is learning.

So that is, or rather was, the knife that held the most sentimental value for me.

Circa 1989 Camillus which has been through everything but an actual battlefield.
HPIM0586.jpg

Circa 2000 Camillus BK-5 which has slaughtered and butchered possibly hundreds of cattle, hogs, deer, goats, and even a few large catfish. It's even been used as a machete more than once too.
MagnumCampAndHam.jpg

H.I. Super CAK, as I call it the WW3 Model, because it's the only one of it's kind and I was destined to have it.
SuperCAK6.jpg

got to be a Spyderco Clipit bought new around 1987. carried the most out of all the rotation. haven't carried it lately but it was the one and only for a few years

Back