What is your pick for best self defense Spydie

I would choose the Pygmy Warrior as it was specifically designed as a fighting tool. Adjusting the belt bracket from vertical draw to horizontal makes presenting the PW as fast, if not faster, than a folder.

Which is your pick for Spyderco best self defense knife? Mine is the Matriarch 2 w/ wave feature and added Wisemen signet ring. Finger in ring and pull. Reverse grip ready.
inpiSWN

No Spyderco folder fits me better than the Bram Frank Gunting. Forward or reverse grip, edge-in or edge-out. I would prefer the Gunting, even without the ramp. (I prefer the ramp, to the Wave, anyway.) This one is at its best if carried in a proper sheath, on the belt, which can be a limitation. I reckon this is my “ultimate” Spyderco folder, if not the absolute best for daily carry, everywhere I go, year ‘round.

Really, for defense, a fixed-blade is a better choice than a folder, if legal and practical factors allow. Sometimes, I carry an original-version Ronin, as a necker. I have one strategically placed, at all times, in a place at home, that I prefer to keep confidential.

For those of us who often travel to states with restrictive laws, something like a Delica may actually be a best choice. I am fortunate to live in a state that allows any knife, with some specified areas being limited to knives up to 5.5” in blade length, but at least one neighboring state is quite restrictive, and I plan to travel to at least two other restrictive states, this year, so I recently bought my first sharpened Delica. (I bought a Delica trainer, years ago.)

Being the practical sort, I think I will nominate the Delica, for “best” defensive Spyderco, because I can have it on or about my person, in more places, more of the time. Three factors are part of this decision:

1. I can legally carry a handgun, in more jurisdictions than I can carry a large folder, or a concealed fixed-blade.

2. I have reached the age at which I can plausibly go about with a cane or walking stick, and, my painful feet and gimpy knee mean that I am sincere when I say I have a need for a mobility aid. (In my 34 years as a big-city LEO, I had some amount of practical application of 26” of hardwood, and various sizes of collapsible metal batons.)

3. A powerful hand-held light is a force multiplier.

I guess someone could be stabbed multiple times by one of these and not feel/notice it but I'm not sure who?

Thing is I do carry one these when out walking etc. but not for 2 legged threats..around here I worry wayyy more about the 4 legged large wild dog threats..very rural and there have been a few close calls..

MD-9557_20150720124016_72ae21d014ac8fb5.jpg

Salt, you don't even have to worry about the salt in the blood corroding the blade.

View attachment 1275380
That would work, but in reality, if someone actually used a knife on another person, corrosion on the blade would be the last of their worries. The knife would be confiscated by the police and used in evidence. After that, if it goes to court, most likely you would not get the knife back, even if ruled SD.

Jim

Of course, any knife can be used for SD but I own most of the knives specifically designed for SD ever made/sold by Spyderco, including most of the their autos and balis.

Among these, like the front flipper Introvert the best as a SD folder, the D/A Vallaton for an auto and the Janisong for a bali.

However, for actual SD/EDC real world carry, I free the recently released Byrd Emerson Cara Cara best. The main reason is that it's quick to deploy "automatically" from the pocket and is cheap enough to not worry about losing it, throwing it away or getting it confiscated for evidence. MAP for this knife is only $37.80.

BTW, I did have a $100 Bastinelli/Marcaida Pika that I used in SD confiscated in evidence about 4 months ago and still have not had it returned to me. The other party was arrested and charged; no chgs filed against me. Do not know if the status of the chgs against the other party but probably time to check.

The investigating officer said that I "should" get it back but could not say when. I've got another that I can still carry instead.

Last edited:
That would work, but in reality, if someone actually used a knife on another person, corrosion on the blade would be the last of their worries. The knife would be confiscated by the police and used in evidence. After that, if it goes to court, most likely you would not get the knife back, even if ruled SD.

Jim
No expert but I do have some experience in this. Several SD Cases I am familiar with the firearm was returned(after a long delay and paperwork), pretty sure a knife would be too(if it was legal to own in the first place of course). While they have it the blood won't ruin the blade. If not it did its job and the cost is negligible.

BTW, I did have a $100 Bastinelli/Marcaida Pika that I used in SD confiscated in evidence about 4 months ago and still have not had it returned to me. The other party was arrested and charged; no chgs filed against me. Do not know if the status of the chgs against the other party but probably time to check.

The investigating officer said that I "should" get it back but could not say when. I've got another that I can still carry instead.
The Pika I have has dulled and putting an edge back on that thing is a nightmare. It's on a shelf somewhere, dull.

Amalgam if not going to work, stretch 2 if going to work.

Matriarch 2 sits in a drawer because it’s that useless for daily use. Tried to like it as much as my TwoSun folding krambit but the tip is just wrong.

Last edited:
If you are talking folders, the Chinook 4 is pretty hard to beat. Same with the Yojimbo 2. They both work great in a variety of FMA drills.
The waved Endura/Delicas models are amazing if you need to present the blade immediately upon drawing.
Most of their fixed blade line is applicable if you go with a design that your are comfortable with and train with it.
And never forget "Nike-Fu" if you are physically able. "Nike-Fu" = run like h#ll.

Last edited:
The Pika I have has dulled and putting an edge back on that thing is a nightmare. It's on a shelf somewhere, dull.

Hi Alsharif,

It's just a couple of minutes to sharpen with a Sharpmaker. What are you using to sharpen?

sal

I have a few of the SD aimed models. Civilian, PPT, Szabo, Delica with the Emerson opener, Ayoob, and Yojimbo 2.

There is lots I like about all of them but the peak model in my opinion the Yo2 is the one. It's sharp, ergonomic, instinctive, and easy to open and close plus it carries well. It has a trainer version too and a sibling in fixed blade form if that's more to your taste.

I like parts of all the others but they all have things that aren't quite right for me. The backlock knives don't open or close as well, the Szabo is super slow to open, the clip on the PPT awkward and not confidence inspiring.

Hi Alsharif,

It's just a couple of minutes to sharpen with a Sharpmaker. What are you using to sharpen?

sal
Hi Sal,

I tried a belt (Work Sharp with blade grinding attachment) and stones, no luck. I have a Sharpmaker, I'll try that!

It's a mini kramabit with a chisel grind, fun. Exact reason why I don't own any recurves.

Back