What it the best beginner safety razor?

Using a DE safety razor is so much more fun than one of those multiblade disposable pieces of trash. It is a lot cheaper, too. Once you get past the cost of the razor itself, the blades are super cheap. It took a couple of shaves to change the way my beard felt. With the disposable (head or whole razor) my face was hard and rough. Once I started back with the safety razor, my beard is not nearly so hard. No ingrown hairs, either. Those things make painful bumps that take forever to go away. Never again.

My wife was ogling my razors so I just bought her a Henson (Henson Shaving Co.). It hasn't arrived. It should be here, tomorrow. I am intrigued with the concept of these razors and they are very safe to shave with, but no blade bounce like with the disposable and cartridge razors. I am not certain many people are aware, but the blades in the cartridge and disposable razors are not fixed into place and they bounce and flex as they move across the hair. Terrible. Anyway, I got her a Henson. I am going to borrow it and try it out. I called Henson and talked to a nice young man, there. We decided I need a medium if I decided to get one, but many people can use the standard. Cool looking and there is even a Ti version.

I use a Merkur 34c. Initially I thoughth I'd want the longer handle as I had become use to the disposables but now I prefer the classic short handle.
Letting the weight of the razor itself do the work rather than adding pressure to a plastic handle is they key.
Sharpest blades I found were Feather. But I'd recommend trying out a few to see what works best for you.

As someone who has to shave pretty much every day (before the Pandemic and wearing a mask all the time), I learned the hard way to not be cheap when it comes to razor blades but also not get the slickest marketed one either. I use a Gillette Trac II Plus, non-pivot, with the lubra strip, and that works as well as I need it to.

I also use Gillette Ultra Sensitive Gel, because the razor is just part of the equation when you have to shave a lot to keep the werewolf within at bay.

Feather are hands down the sharpest, but some do find them harsh. Currently I have found my favorite blades are made in Russia or India. It makes sense, both are markets where disposable razors don't have huge market penetration and have genetic groups of wooly man-beasts. I'm guessing that if I go back to office/customer-facing work I'll be shaving pretty much every day again.

Prep is absolutely key, and everyone's skin and budget (time and money) are different, so it's worth trying a few things to see what works best. I know that for me, the change from gel to brush and soap was huge, but it's also probably that gel wasn't ideal for me at the time.

Back