What Katana?

I want to buy a Katana style sword that is usable. I doubt it will ever get used but I want one that is "real". The one I really like and is in my price range is the Bamboo style from Bugei Trading, but I also found a Paul Chen Katana that is approx $500 cheaper its around $750 and the Bugei is $1250. I guess my question is, What is the best sword for the money? And not just a wall hanger, one that can really be used, but like I said it will probably just hang on a wall.:D

It's hard to go wrong with Bugei but the Chen stuff is also a good bang for the buck. Unless you are planning on doing iai or something or are a true katana aficianado I'd go with the Chen sword.

It is hard to assess what exactly is the best "value" in a Japanese-style sword these days. Some people will tell you that Criswell makes swords that are spectacular for the buck, and some people will tell you that Shinsakuto are the best value. Others will debate between Hanwei and KC. It's difficult to discern what you feel is important in a sword, so some of us go by assumptions.

I *assume* you want something that is of classical style, but will also work well and look good. I assume you don't care too much about hada and the more subtle features, or which school the blade is from.

Personally, I feel the best value (quality for price) in a sword can be had with Cicada Forge blades. For something slightly less aesthetically inclined, the Hanwei mid-range models are great.

The non-custom Bugei swords are also made by Hanwei, though to different standards I believe. I think Howard Clark is still doing their customs, but the prices on those may be prohibitive. If your wallet allows, definitely consider going custom as you will not be disappointed.

If you need any links to any of the aforementioned stuff, just ask. I'm sure I'm leaving out some suggestions right now so someone feel free to jump in :)

I just want to emphasize that Bugei katana (other than their custom line) are made by Hanwei (owned by Paul Chen). You pay extra bucks at Bugei for the same stuff because at Bugei, they inspect the swords individually. Hanwei is known to have a rather poor quality control.

It really depends on what you intend to do with the sword.

As for myself, I would prefer a good gendaito (made during WW2) by good swodsmiths. They are useable and will certainly increase in value. You can find a good gendaito for less than $2,000.

Originally posted by beluga
I just want to emphasize that Bugei katana (other than their custom line) are made by Hanwei (owned by Paul Chen). You pay extra bucks at Bugei for the same stuff because at Bugei, they inspect the swords individually. Hanwei is known to have a rather poor quality control.

Ummmm... I'd beg to differ there. While that *MAY* have been true of 'Chen Katanas years ago, they're *MUCH* better now. If you get them from a respectable retailer, it's even better, as you can get it replaced, unlike Kris Cutlery. In fact, Kris Cutlery are the ones with rather poor QC and even worse post-sale service, as experienced by quite a few people on Sword Forum International (SFI)...

Originally posted by beluga

It really depends on what you intend to do with the sword.

As for myself, I would prefer a good gendaito (made during WW2) by good swodsmiths. They are useable and will certainly increase in value. You can find a good gendaito for less than $2,000. [/B]

If they're WWII-antiques, wouldn't using them be a serious no-no? Doesn't that risk devaluing such a blade?

Just my $0.02

Ummmm... I'd beg to differ there. While that *MAY* have been true of 'Chen Katanas years ago, they're *MUCH* better now. If you get them from a respectable retailer, it's even better, as you can get it replaced, unlike Kris Cutlery. In fact, Kris Cutlery are the ones with rather poor QC and even worse post-sale service, as experienced by quite a few people on Sword Forum International (SFI)...

That's true, but Bugei still charges more because they inspect Chen blades no matter how well Chen has improved since before. When you ask anyone at Sword Forum International, that's the main reason why they charge more. I am not against Chen katana, I have 2 of them; PK and Tiger Katana which I love to do tameshigiri with. They are great swords for what I paid for.

KC was good, the bad QC just happened around 6 months ago, I don't know about it now though. The last time I bought naginata blade was 6 months ago, and I got good product and good service from Cecil.

If they're WWII-antiques, wouldn't using them be a serious no-no? Doesn't that risk devaluing such a blade?

As long as the blade doesn't chip, it would be okay. I bought a Gendaito by Ichihara Nagamitsu one year ago for $1,750. The blade is still in perfect condition (not fresh polish though). I used it for iai and tameshigiri demonstration. One guy approached me and offered me $2,500 for the katana in as is condition. He is no rookie in nihonto field and knew I paid $1,750 for it.
But, I wouldn't use my muramachi period nihonto for tameshigiri.

Beside,

I doubt it will ever get used but I want one that is "real"

:D

I've got it narrowed down to a Paul Chen Musashi Katana or the Tiger Katana, the Tiger is approx $800 and the Musashi is around $450. The cheaper one is forged and the Tiger is forge folded. I like the Musashi because it has a longer handle (and the price aint bad either) but which one is really better? Someone help me out here. Please.

I own most of chen's katanas....

I have used them for tasmeshgiri cutting..

both my musashi and the tiger performs well...I must say, that of course technique is 80% of cutting.... The tiger is a little beefier blade , better furniture, and is folded steel ( a beauty)..but the musashi is quite well balanced and fast in handling...

oddly enough, I really love the musashi the most...it is a lot of sword for the buck......

just an opinion...

TAO...life is zen, so are swords

Thanks for the replies. I'm going with the Musashi, my wife is going to give it to me for Christmas. She dosn't know this yet but she is going to find out:D . Thanks again.

Back