What kind of folder do you carry?

For the last couple months its been my Olamic Wayfarer with snakewood handles:

16861411820_552b33ccd3_b.jpg

And my Ferrum Forge Fortis:
19989671523_f578c45f43_b.jpg

If I don't have the Fortis, I have the SM-100 Stinger:
23691660374_987b5a8da5_z.jpg

Anyone carry a Jake Hoback Kwaiback? I've been Jonesin' for one for a Looooooong time, but still haven't pulled the trigger.

I have a weakness for folder with CF scale. These are some of my CF rotation.

27556640666_4b2b773876_b.jpg

This Spyderco Military sprint is my most carried folder. I love the patina on the blade. The weight, action and blade steel are perfect for my need.

28033602075_360ffbd979_b.jpg

Don

Very nice gentlemen.

I second the notion of an american made folder to rival the Shirogorov.

I've said time and time again, that a great place to start evaluating a design is against the Sebenza. It's a classic design that has stood the test of time. It's also a great value on the secondary market, in and around the $350 range. Lots of knife for that much money. It's not perfect but not a bad starting point. I think Nathan's tool focused direction at this time fits into that category well.

But as coiledwire said regarding the Shirogorov 95R, Wow. In my experience with over 30 knives from CRK, nothing CRK puts out can touch it. In fact, my 95R was the final nail in the coffin of my last remaining CRK in my EDC lineup.

I want to see a knife that competes with my 95R, and am happy to pay an equivalent cost.

For me, it's Shirogorov or nothing right now.

Very nice gentlemen.

I second the notion of an american made folder to rival the Shirogorov.

I've said time and time again, that a great place to start evaluating a design is against the Sebenza. It's a classic design that has stood the test of time. It's also a great value on the secondary market, in and around the $350 range. Lots of knife for that much money. It's not perfect but not a bad starting point. I think Nathan's tool focused direction at this time fits into that category well.

But as coiledwire said regarding the Shirogorov 95R, Wow. In my experience with over 30 knives from CRK, nothing CRK puts out can touch it. In fact, my 95R was the final nail in the coffin of my last remaining CRK in my EDC lineup.

I want to see a knife that competes with my 95R, and am happy to pay an equivalent cost.

For me, it's Shirogorov or nothing right now.

I agree with this, but would add that a straight forward set of handle scales is just fine. I would love to see what Nathan comes up with from a machinists standpoint, and I'm hoping they showcase his talents a bit. No need for 16 versions of shapes, materials, engravings, etc. The knife should have the CPK look and feel, but not have to be individually run (I'm thinking of the signature, artistic designs on the small runs of Sebenzas).

I agree with this, but would add that a straight forward set of handle scales is just fine. I would love to see what Nathan comes up with from a machinists standpoint, and I'm hoping they showcase his talents a bit. No need for 16 versions of shapes, materials, engravings, etc. The knife should have the CPK look and feel, but not have to be individually run (I'm thinking of the signature, artistic designs on the small runs of Sebenzas).

I don't think Nathan wants to make collector type individual graphics at this point. Shiro doesn't do that in the production knives either.

I was thinking more with regards to the level of attention to detail, the level of finish quality, and the attention spent on tuning the function of the knife to the point it is basically flawless. Even the two step anodize is amazing. It can go from looking almost grey with tiny hints of red to boldly blue with hints of bronze. Hides wear extremely well, and the stonewash which somehow feels literally soft to the touch is carried throughout. The custom fasteners are amazingly well done. The grind is superb, edge applied meticulously. The action is beautiful, not a hint of movement in the blade at any point in its travel, and dead solid lockup with zero stick. You can hardly even tell it's disengaging. And the interior milling, oh my god.

I guess you can tell I love this thing. It is my new benchmark.

I have no idea if Nathan is even setup equipment wise to pull off a knife like this.

Of course I realize not many people will want to spend $1000 on a folder, but some of us will. :)

Justin, I gave Nathan the Sebenza I traded with you awhile ago, and designed a folder that is mechanically the same, but with a CPK/Loriendesign look to it, so that's kind of the benchmark that we initially started down this path referencing

since then, we've discussed the idea of coming up with a flipper based off of the EDC, and that's about as far as this has gotten. With that in mind, there is still basically a fresh slate for us to work from and this thread is really helpful to get a gauge on things before we go in too deep

from my point of view, a CPK folder should retail somewhere in the $395-$495 range

I have two different categories of EDC knives.

First are the ones I carry at home and in my personal life. These don't see alot of abuse. Mainly used for opening packages, cutting food, cutting ropes/string etc. I like spydercos and my sebenza for these applications. High to full flat grinds with a nice pointy tip.

However, my knives that get more use are ones I use at work. I carry a lot of gear at work, so I don't carry pocket bricks as knives. However, they do get abused a little more. Sometimes it's the most handy tool I have within reach, and it will be used for a bit of prying, more abusive cutting, turning screws etc. I prefer benchmade, Kershaw, etc for work knives.

In keeping with the working knife theme of CPK, I would envision a CPK folder as a small and stout knife, with a tough steel, and strong tip.

IMO, once you get into the $500 USD range you are catering to the collector's market more than the user's market. I'm not saying they won't sell, but it's definitely not something I would buy and use.

Ferrum Forge Fortis and Archbishop. Jeremy Robertson El Patron in PD1. Hoback A10. And some Stellite 6K folders. Mac Wasil K390 flipper. I have more, but those are my favorite EDC's. All have been great for everyday out on the farm, as well as doing indoor work.

.... we've discussed the idea of coming up with a flipper based off of the EDC,

This seems like a perfect evolution of the EDC! I saw an EDC lined up next to a ZT (0561 if I recall...) and though the blade profile of the ZT was a nice complement to the EDC, and I'm now on a mission to get the ZT.

CRK/Wilson Combat Starbenza 25
Large Sebenza 21

Got a ZT0452CF that I though was for me but just isn't so I'm gonna try to trade it off.

I carry a wide variety, less now that I have a CPK EDC. While I haven't bought one in 2 years, I might have to get CPK one. We will see what happens.

054644e44890b5553f16fbf7c377200c.jpg
622ac7fb1b59ca971a7b38a513e45130.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CRK 25 on fancy days.
Spyderco Kahr Arms Delica for restricted areas.
Ritter Grips, BM 710, Spyderco PM 2's, and Enduras all in rotation on normal days. All of them in several steel varieties.

Ha! Ive carried it for over 10 years and it's awesome. Tom did a full-height flat-grind to .008" on the edge before sharpening and it cuts like a laser.

Zytel handle, 304 stainless pins, spring/lock, and clip....no magnetic signature and totally rust-proof, not rust-resistant.

1fb99412fbfd89ab05404f82f2e5a8ef.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had one of the first ones of these in the 440C also one of the fixed blades. Should have kept them. Sharpest damn knives I've gotten when they were new.

Of course I realize not many people will want to spend $1000 on a folder, but some of us will. :)

What exactly does one do with a $1000 folder? That's a serious letter opener. I'd bet my (apparently too small) paycheck that it doesn't look like my lowly Starbenza does or get used the same either.

What exactly does one do with a $1000 folder? That's a serious letter opener. I'd bet my (apparently too small) paycheck that it doesn't look like my lowly Starbenza does or get used the same either.

/shrug. Whatever you want to do with it. I won't trash it as bad as I did my Sebenza 25 w/ micarta. But it should hold up a lot better as it's in M390 rather than soft S35V. I generally don't abuse my EDCs too bad. I never pry much, twist screws or anything. But I have cut carpet, scraped paint off concrete slab, cut drywall, trimmed burrs off 2x4's, stripped wire, cut boxes, tape, food, opened packaging, cut crane slings and a million other little things.

That is all I really need an EDC for, small tasks like that. I'm not really going to baton with one, I might shave some tinder for the fireplace and the like, but I won't ever purposely destroy it whether it cost me $300 or $3000.

Worst thing I have probably done to my Sebenza was dropped it down through my engine bay and drove down my street till it fell out. Not really worried about it. When it comes back from spa I bet it will look good as new. It cost what $520?

The cost of a knife, IMO doesn't really change what the knife can do, and cost is obviously relative. I have had some safe queen knives that were only $300-$500. Tons of UG Sebenzas in that range that were Damascus, I mean my only 21 left is pretty well used, and it's an old PJ Raindrop damascus. In my heart I am really a folder guy because that is what I use the vast majority of the time. I have zero safe queen folders.

Back