What kind of folder do you carry?

a number of people important to me, (and others of course) passed away over the past four years, and it totally sucks. I wanna kick death in the nuts and light it on fire. Losing someone very close is the worst possible pain

SzDBst6.jpg

419MNqz.jpg

eyWsVGw.jpg

Sharp by Design Typhoon

This thing is FRIGGIN HUGE even for a total knuckle head like me!!! For those in-the-know, the one above (1st pic) is not exactly chump change either but the venerable Shriogorov 111 pretty much eclipses the Millie when opened. When closed, they literally carry the same in pock but with the 111 weighing 0.4 ounces over this CF/Ti Millie. I'll do some comp photos a bit later on this weekend against the FK :D

Oh, before I forget: I wonder if Bob likes the "blood groove"? :p

img_3033-jpg.968167

img_3035-jpg.968169

RAY COVER, SR.

I've owned maybe 30 Ray Cover folders over time. If you do not know who he is, you are missing out on what veterans will tell you is one of the best slipjoint makers to walk the earth - and his knives were always perfect - and seriously inexpensive, esp for a custom folder.

I ran across this mint one the other day and couldn't pass it up for less than $300 mint (3 3/4" closed, 6 1/2" open). Ray never promoted - when asked about knives, he would likely change the subject to fishing. Fit and finish is superb. This semi-skinner is not my kind of folder, but is one that will get put to use. Oh, Ray also made some dynamite fixed blades. Just google his name as shown and you'll see lotsa stuff, probably. Not to be confused with son Ray Cover, Jr who is a top-end knife engraver.

The last image, one I used to own, is an example of a canoe by Sr, engraved by Jr. Hard to believe it would only be a $700 knife!

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

RAY COVER, SR.

I've owned maybe 30 Ray Cover folders over time. If you do not know who he is, you are missing out on what veterans will tell you is one of the best slipjoint makers to walk the earth - and his knives were always perfect - and seriously inexpensive, esp for a custom folder.

I ran across this mint one the other day and couldn't pass it up for less than $300 mint (3 3/4" closed, 6 1/2" open). Ray never promoted - when asked about knives, he would likely change the subject to fishing. Fit and finish is superb. This semi-skinner is not my kind of folder, but is one that will get put to use. Oh, Ray also made some dynamite fixed blades. Just google his name as shown and you'll see lotsa stuff, probably. Not to be confused with son Ray Cover, Jr who is a top-end knife engraver.

The last image, one I used to own, is an example of a canoe by Sr, engraved by Jr. Hard to believe it would only be a $700 knife!

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

This bottom one Bob! So darn handsome. Not that the one on top is any slouch either, but the one on the bottom: work of art :thumbsup:

And that's why you can't have nice things! I want, I want, I want :p
My most recent attempt to retrieve it was two weeks ago. The buddy I sold it to wants one of my de Bragas. I put together a trade for it that would only take place if part of the trade was to get this Cover back.

But it's been two weeks, no answer:(

that is a really nice looking knife

the jigged bone one is super nice to my eye, very practical looking and something I can see as being pleasant to have tucked away in a pocket every day

Yup that jigged bone is very nice and I don’t even typically like bone handle scales! Bob, sure knows how to pick handsome knives.

I've always respected Bob's eye for cutlery
Lorien Lorien
Lorien, over time (last 10 years) you have seen some of my pieces no one else has seen. I'll return the compliment by saying it's been a real pleasure to watch your growth over the years in all things knife-related, and in such a useful and undeterred way. I was seriously proud when became a moderator. We both learned alot from the battles, lol.

All the best,

Bob

Last edited:
My collection ebbs and flows, as do most of us, mine out of necessity to get something new, something else has to go, here are my two latest folders that I really like, this WE 801 is as bout as close to THE knife as I have ever gotten, Frame lock, overtravel limiter, steel insert for the lockbar, nicely textured carbon fiber inserts, great blade shape, gratuitous flash with the two tone blade, M390 steel, lanyard hole that is below the thickness of the scales, and extremely well made with perfect detent and smooth closing, it's just great ;)

IMG_7105 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

and this Manly Wasp folder is a slip joint, blade just under 3" making it legal about everywhere and s90v blade that is ground down very thin, I measure about .008" behind the edge, wicked cutter!

Wasp by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

G2

both go great with the EDC...just sayin' ;)

IMG_6171 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Back