What kind of folder do you carry?

Well yeah it rusts. All the best stainless rusts. It's only 14% chromium. That isn't much chrome for a 1.4% carbon steel. Ya wanna mushy edge!?

Yeah, but that one rusted on a nightstand, without every being used or wet or anything... Oh, and room humidity was in the 50s..

nope on the mushy edge, think i'm done with S35VN..

Charles Vestal made this knife to my design from S35VN, and hollow ground the primary bevels with very little material left between them. I meant to specify more material, as this was meant to be a little more woodcrafty than huntery. As it stands, I did ripple the edge shaving down some poles and cranking it super hard into and through knots, but no chipping, and great edge retention so I'm pretty impressed with the steel.
L2OCxD9.jpg

I've been using a Ferrum Forge/Massdrop Buc since they came out, I really like it. It's s35VN and I haven't had any issues with it. Cuts well, I like the blade profile and grind, and it sharpens up easily. I would've bought a Dao but a lot of people bitched about the flipper tab being too small.
jO8GJLe.jpg

I got a pretty awesome gift in the mail last night, @fonedork sent me a Stretch in ZDP-189. I loved the VG-10 Stretch I had before, I expect this to be even better. It'll be kicking the Buc out of my pocket.
xy9zxvL.jpg

Can you believe Oktoberfest beers are already out? I was bitching about the weather being 'unnaturally cool, should be 100 degrees at night this time of year' like an old cranky farmer yesterday then I found that on my way home! I don't like the weird weather but I love me some Sam Adam's Oktoberfest. Anyways...

I can't always wear a knife clipped on my pocket with some of the things I've been doing at work, there's no rule against it but some people noticed so I stopped. These Collector's Knives/Lionsteel collabs have been the tits for pocket carry. I gave my dad an ebony wood clip point last year and I've been carrying one of these on the days I don't want to have something clipped on.
yJU3CAy.jpg

I like the scales on the spear point the best but much prefer the sheepsfoot blades.

I'd like to get one of the Hogue/Ritters from Knifeworks to mess around with but I had shit-all luck trying to check out on their website last night. Their M390 is run a bit harder than most companies do, seems like a good move.

Yeah, but that one rusted on a nightstand, without every being used or wet or anything... Oh, and room humidity was in the 50s..

nope on the mushy edge, think i'm done with S35VN..

Yeah, something there isn't working right. I don't think that your experience represents the norm.

A slow quench speed or going up high into the secondary hardening hump can reduce the corrosion resistance of a stainless steel considerably. I'm going to speculate that heat treat maybe could be improved.

Tumbling a stainless steel with media that is contaminated with a carbon steel can also lead to rust spots.

Hanging a finished knife on a nail in an area with grinding dust can lead to dust that can cause little rust blooms.

something went wrong with that knife. The corrosion resistance of s35vn should be at least as good as aeb-l or Delta 3V.

I've been using a Ferrum Forge/Massdrop Buc since they came out, I really like it. It's s35VN and I haven't had any issues with it. Cuts well, I like the blade profile and grind, and it sharpens up easily. I would've bought a Dao but a lot of people bitched about the flipper tab being too small.
jO8GJLe.jpg

I got a pretty awesome gift in the mail last night, @fonedork sent me a Stretch in ZDP-189. I loved the VG-10 Stretch I had before, I expect this to be even better. It'll be kicking the Buc out of my pocket.
xy9zxvL.jpg

Can you believe Oktoberfest beers are already out? I was bitching about the weather being 'unnaturally cool, should be 100 degrees at night this time of year' like an old cranky farmer yesterday then I found that on my way home! I don't like the weird weather but I love me some Sam Adam's Oktoberfest. Anyways...

I can't always wear a knife clipped on my pocket with some of the things I've been doing at work, there's no rule against it but some people noticed so I stopped. These Collector's Knives/Lionsteel collabs have been the tits for pocket carry. I gave my dad an ebony wood clip point last year and I've been carrying one of these on the days I don't want to have something clipped on.
yJU3CAy.jpg

I like the scales on the spear point the best but much prefer the sheepsfoot blades.

I'd like to get one of the Hogue/Ritters from Knifeworks to mess around with but I had shit-all luck trying to check out on their website last night. Their M390 is run a bit harder than most companies do, seems like a good move.

Good to see you around a bit lately, Grog.

Can you interchange the scales on those lions? Build the knife you want? I've been wondering about that line of knives for awhile... Maybe some ironwood or something on one. Looks easy to swap, but are the slabs glued as well as screwed?

I’ve carried CRK for more than a decade and though I’ll admit that I hated and avoided their S35VN knives after two didn’t hold an edge for me, they nailed the heat treat later and even raised the hardness to closer to its capabilities.
I use a CRK Nyala as my hunting knife and it holds an edge forever as well as being about as stainless/rust resistant as a steel can get. It’s so good that I’ve become comfortable with leaving it over night covered in blood and fat if I don’t get home until late and don’t want to wake the little ones bringing in gear and washing it all off. That’s definitely not how I usually treat my equipment but the S35VN doesn’t care at all.
First time was an accident, I wrapped it in the rubber gloves and left it in the bed of the truck with the deer, got home late and totally missed it when cleaning up. Remembered in the morning when I woke up and found it just fine- whew!
If being half wrapped in sweaty rubber gloves while covered in blood doesn’t rust a knife, I doubt much else that you’d NORMALLY encounter will.

I got a pretty awesome gift in the mail last night, @fonedork sent me a Stretch in ZDP-189.

I've got a manbug and dragonfly 2 in ZDP-189. Takes a super fine edge and cuts for days. Granted those are light use knives, but I've been amazed at how nice that steel is. One of my favorites for any kind of delicate cutting...it's like a scalpel when ground that thin.

Good to see you around a bit lately, Grog.

Can you interchange the scales on those lions? Build the knife you want? I've been wondering about that line of knives for awhile... Maybe some ironwood or something on one. Looks easy to swap, but are the slabs glued as well as screwed?

Thanks man, good to be back. They look like they're T6 or smaller fasteners but I haven't tried changing them, not sure if they're glued.

Back