What knife do you like to dress game with?

I have used many different knives and as long as they're sharp, they work. I too have used folders of different sizes but pulled away from them 'cause they're a mess when your done.
Most of mine over the last few years have been done with a Gerber Pro Series that was discontinued a while back. It's in ATS34 and holds up well. I have a new Manley Blades knife that for one reason or another I've not been carrying when I had a chance to use it on big game but it seems to do well on birds and trout. It is also in ATS34.

Hi,

I've pretty much used what ever was in my pocket for field dressing. Often a Schrade 34OT. But I also had a an LB7 that I liked. I also briefly tried a Buck 119SP. I really disliked that knife, way to big. And I've never found cleaning a folder to be very difficult.

These days I mostly hunt upland game. So this year I started carrying a SAK Hiker and a Case Gunboat.

I find that there really aren't that many cuts that need to be made. And those few cuts are made with the first 1" of blade.

dalee

Here are a couple of action shots of my son using his Gerber Freeman Hunter on his first deer (public land, vintage recurve bow, home made arrows, shot from the ground, etc.)...

Here is is up to his elbow in goo...
20081107_ac_dylans_first_deer_04.jpg

... and here's more goo and a good bloody knife shot...
20081107_ac_from_dylan01_gutpile.jpg

I'm laughing at the line about the size of the knife, unfortunately because its true more often than not. Sometimes it just depends on what someone has been trained to do.

I would consider my dad to be a skilled hunter but he still uses my grandad's KaBar and after helping a friend butcher hogs my dad's technique can best be described as a hack job. But he gets it done. I shouldn't talk too much because my main woods knife is a Buck Nighthawk.

But I found my AG Russel Woodswalker to work very effectively skinning out deer and hogs. The next time I go hunting I'll probably have my Fiddleback Ladyfinger or my day hiker/edc from Larry Hensley, see how they do.

I have used a Spyderco Bill Moran Featherweight (FB01) with an upswept point. The first year it was stock, then I decided to have Tom Krein do a Full Convex grind on it and I have used it for the past two years. This year I will be using a Spyderco Bill Moran Drop Point (FB02). I have not decided if I'm going to use my Krein'd version or the factory version. :)

Fresh from Tom:
IMG_5001.jpg

IMG_5003.jpg

IMG_5004.jpg

Before the regrind but after some field use:
IMG_3918.jpg

IMG_3916.jpg

IMG_3919.jpg

And I will either use this one

Fresh from Tom:
IMG_5005.jpg

IMG_5009.jpg

IMG_5010.jpg

or a stock one that is NIB.

Doug

Last edited:
I have dominantly used a Trapper pattern knife over the years for both deer and small game. My favorite is a Remington Bullet Knife in that pattern that I've had and used for at least 10 years. Have a couple Case XXX versions as well that are just fine.

After getting more interested in knives, my choices became substantial for hunting uses. It got complicated. But a basic folder is generally all you need.

I've picked up the Spyderco Moran mentioned above for use in the field. It should work very well if you want a delicate use fixed blade. I consider the careful cutting when field dressing to be kind of delicate work which is why I generally want a smaller knife.

Have used the big Schrade Old Timer for a long time too (old ones). Good knife. Buck 110 is a great knife as well and about the right size. Used a Gerber Gater folder for a couple years too, and then moved back to my Trapper pattern.

I generally carry a folder and a fixed blade whitetail hunting. I'd probably carry a slightly longer blade for larger big game (elk, moose, etc.) than the Moran.

Lots of nice knives posted. Would like to have one of each. The knife that I have been using lately is an early Trailguide with a leather handle. It zips thru deer making the dressing quick and easy. I will also debone at times in the field and throw the pieces on ice and cut up and package later. Less problems in the town. I am usually tired after a hunt anyway and don't want to hang the deer from a tree.

For starters just keep it simple! I'll also echo others The Buck 110 lockblade folder is a good field dressing knife. For a fixed blade then go with a Buck Vanguard. Once you learn how to properly feild dress large game then you can consider other knife options.

I go real simple for field dressing. Elk and mule deer I use a Wyoming Knife and then a small hatchet to bust the pelvis. Wyoming knives are the fastest I have ever used to field dress an Elk. If I have to quarter them out its whatever flavor Of knife I happen to be carrying. This year will be a HRLM or an RMD.

For the task of getting the guts out of a deer,in the field,I like a blade short enough,where I can get my index finger over top the tip,so when I "zip" it open,I do not cut the intestines.But alot of the smaller bladed knives I have tried,well the handle & blade ratio just does not feel good,never enough handle & if alot of handle,it feels wierd w/ a small blade.

This one from Rick Menefee ,IMO,is one of the better feeling ones.To me it's like a hunters surgery knife.
DSC01858.jpg

It also has just a long enough blade for the anal cavity.The Krein pocket bowie was a great little knife,but IMO,the blade was a bit too short for the anal cavity.
Here is the Krein pocket bowie ,I tried it to skin,too.It's def. a nice one,if you have some experience
DSCF2313.jpg

As said above,by others,it becomes alot about practice & patience,knowing where to make cuts.Once you see the anatomy of the organs a few times,it becomes easier.

I used to think a folder was inferior to a fixed blade,but after getting comfortable with doing it,I feel it's no problem. I like a blade like in my avatar knife,a modified warncliffe,or a spear.It's got a drop tip.
Here are a few
DSC01708-1.jpg

DSC01077.jpg

Once I get done with the skin & guts,I like boning knives of different sizes to process the meat.
This boner has a 5" blade is was a good style The pocket knife was like the ones above
DSCF2367.jpg

If you are new at it,the entrials coming out asap is a must,but clearing up in the throat & cutting through the chest cavity can be done later,at camp,cleaning the animal up a bit better

Here is a saw that helps with som bones & a longer boning knife,better for steaking out the boned out cuts
DSC01155.jpg

DSC01139.jpg

It helps if the knife is real sharp.It helps to be cautious,if your hands get gooped up & your grip does not feel good,take the time to clean your hands,it makes a big difference.
After you have done it a few times you will then know what blade will work best for you,as there is alot of chioces out there
Happy Hunting,
-Vince

For many years I cleaned all my game (deer,squirrels,turkey,fish) with a Buck 110. Worked just fine,,THEN,,I became a Knife Nut and things got complicated for some reason. Damn It.

CLASSIC knife nut post.

Keep up the good work, Bladeforums.

CHEERS

The fact is that the everyday EDC that I was fond of at the time has field-dressed most of my deer, and was perfectly adequate for the job. Small Cold Steel Clipmate, Spyderco Native, Al Mar Nomad have done just fine.

The best skinners I ever encountered were old farmers who used their pocket stockman or some such. However, I find that any 4" or so knife of relatively thin blade with plenty of belly in the blade makes the job easier for the infrequent skinner (ie, me.)

All that being said, I bought a Bob Dozier Semi-Skinner at Blade this year that strikes me as the perfect Whitetail Deer knife, until I see something else I need an excuse to buy.:D

I was using a blindhorse small tiger knapp, but I traded that, and now I'm using a esee izula and an esee 3......small knives are great for doing the trim work!!!!!

I have heard it said that you can often tell the experience of a hunter by the size of his knife. The larger the knife the less experience. A young hunter may carry a large Rambo style knife whereas an older, more experienced hunter can be seen with a small Case pocket knife. That's not to say that either is wrong, I have found that the older I get the less gear I want to lug along with me.

I prefer a smaller fixed blade like the ones below. I have been carrying a knife like this for quite a few years now.

044.jpg

SDS

These look just the ticket for quick dressing.:thumbup:

I myself carry a folder - a Blade-Tech.

I myself will never be over the Buck 110. For me, it is the quintessential folding knife, a blade to be had and held by every hunter from novice to veteran. That being said, my poor lil 110 ran away from me this past spring and until he shows up again I will be using a spyderco chinook. I must say, I'm quite looking forward to it. Damn you Bladeforums and your evil influencing ways =D. Seriously though, amazing knife.

This size and blade shape has quickly become a favorite of mine for whitetails. 6 1/2" overall with a 2 3/4" blade.

Picture437.jpg

Scott

Back