• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

What knife stores have you been to?

What knife stores have you personally been to? Actual brick and mortar store whos primary purpose is knives.

What stores have you been to?

What was the best thing about each store?

What was something you did not care about each store?

Are you planning a road trip ? I think if you were a little more specific about your location, you would get better info.

Ross Cutlery in Los Angeles. Bought a Benchmade Nim Cub II tanto there. It's a cool store they have a LOT of knives. But, the area is really really crappy. Last time I went there an addict was trying to take my wallet.

I have been too....

AG Russell's in Rogers Arkansas.
Probably my favorite of all.
The best thing about his store is that it's not all production knives. It does have production knives such as ka-bar and boker but they also have Randalls ready to buy, Dozer knives and lots of other custom makers including his own.
What dont I care for? I wish they would expand the store and include more production lines.

Ozark Cutlery Supply in Joplin Missoury.
I like this store. It's a small store but lots of knives to be found. The lady who runs it knows enough about knives to answer all your questions.
I wish it had more custom stuff.

Shepherd Hill Case Factore Outlet Lebanon Missouri.
Good section of kitchen knives and 4 or 5 production knife companies.
Don't like that part is a flemarket kind of thing. Need to make that area more knives. Too small to make it a serious knife destination.

GPKnives Troy,IL (east st louis)
Went in there today, wow, over whelming at first. Lots of quality brands. Very serious knife store.
Did not like it did not have many custom knives.

Been trying to stop at Smokey Mountain Knife Works in Tennessee but i don't see any signs that say truck parking so i never stop.

I've been to smokey mountain knifeworks,and edgeworks knife and supply in Frederick md . Smokey mountain was kinda overwhelming and the prices seemed high. Edgeworks is great,it's a smaller place but I could spend a day there the prices are fair.

Grand Prairie Knives.
Shepherd Hills Cutlery
Smokey Mountain Knife Works.

I enjoyed them all and I don't really have any complaints. SMKW did catch me off guard but it's not really a complaint. When you pick out a knife to purchase you give the clerk your last name and they take it up to the checkout counter where you buy it on your way out. Totally understandable as a theft deterrent.

My wife was still in the store when I went to pay for the one knife that I picked out. She had picked out a knife to surprise me with and when they handed me two knives at the checkout counter her surprise was ruined. Aside from that we both loved the place.

There are only a handful near me - all of which are either primarily gun shops or otherwise broadly sporting goods outlets. The only one I really liked was Sports World, as their prices and selection are pretty decent.

I have been to Academy, Bass Pro, REI (in Denver), Gander Mountain, and some smaller boutique shops, and their selections and prices are pretty offputting. I think Bass Pro wanted nearly $100 for an AUS8+FRN Cold Steel, which is pretty representative of why I stick to online shopping and the occasional pawn shop.

Edit: I somehow neglected to mention when I went to the Spyderco Factory Outlet in Golden, CO. I called ahead and was as surprised to hear I could meet the Glessers as they were surprised that someone wanted to meet them.

Was just at DLT this morning. Fantastic dealer with great people who honestly care about their customers. They are my go to for production knife ordering.

Been to three off the top of my head; Smoky Mt Knife Works, New Graham, and KnivesShipFree. I don't count the sporting goods stores that happen to sell knives. But I have bought a number of knives at Sportsman Warehouse as they carry a modest selection of good knives. There is or was a knife shop in Huntsville AL that I tried a number of times to visit, but they were always closed when I got there. Would like to visit Spark's store.

Also have been to Frost Cutlery's store, but no big deal there.
Do any of you know if Blue Ridge Knives in Marion VA have a knife store? They are primarily a middle man type operation.

I love to visit SMKW from time to time. I can spend hours there wandering around and always spend at least $100 (usually more) before I leave. I go there about three times a year in general. I have been going there for years off and on. KniveShipFree is under whelming due to the size, but they are primarily a mail order fulfillment place rather than a retail store. Yeah, I use the Big River terminology and it fits. KnivesShipFree has a tremendous selection of good knives, but you have to ask about a specific knife and they go get it for you. A few are on display.

What about you J JamesofArc ?

I obviously have visited DLT, SMKW, AG Russell, and Knife Works at Blade.

Last edited:
I stopped by BladeHQ on a road trip a few years ago. There were nice people working the counter. I didn’t pick up anything while I was there, but I’ve bought from them on-line a couple of times.

Last knife store I physically went into was The Edge Company in Brattleboro VT about 25 years ago

New Graham, A. G. Russell, Olde Town Cutlery, Going Gear, Fiddleback Forge shop (I guess that counts here), The Gear Barrel, Smoky Mountain Knife Works, Plaza Cutlery, Cowboy Knives, Knives Ship Free, Benchmade. NGK is my favorite, Olde Town and Going Gear are local, A. G. Russell was really special because I got to meet A. G. and have him sign the box on one of his designs that I bought, Benchmade was the most interesting because I got to go upstairs and watch everything happening on the production floor. The guys at Fiddleback Forge, especially Phil, were the friendliest (that may be because I brought Jerry Lee and a box of donuts). They showed me around their shop and answered many questions about production, models, etc.

I've been to Chesapeake Knife and Tool, in Towson, MD., It's been closed for years. I've also been to Country Knives in Intrrcourse,PA.. It's much larger now than it was many years ago, but the prices are full retail.

Plaza Cutlery (closed now), Nordic Knives, Kelley's Cutlery all in California. In Japan, Tower Knives and Kunishige in Osaka

Visited BladeHQ several times when I was living in Utah, always great customer service. Also visited Cutlery Corner a small B&M in Orem,UT he mostly had Benchmades, great guy there too.

Hawthorne cutlery in Portland, OR small, but decent selection of several higher end brands.

Edgeworks in Frederick, MD- excellent staff, nice selection.

Country Knives near Lancaster, PA- terrible. Overpriced and the 2 times I went, the staff was unhelpful and unfriendly. Nice selection though.

Spyderco factory store twice- pleasant experiences, friendly staff.

Smoky Mountain Knife Works probably 8 times- great selection, friendly staff. Ok prices. Very cool atmosphere.

Couldn't tell you the names of most of them, or hazard a guess if they are still open. (If I see a knife shop, I try to check it out while I'm there.)
I do remember a place called One Stop Knife Shop. I try to get there when I'm in KY (not very often, unfortunately)

Back