What knife surprised the hell out of you and made you rethink everything?

COAST FX350. Everyone should own one to see exactly what I am talking about. Excellent steel imho and build quality is superb. keepem sharp

Very interesting. How much better is the 9Cr18MoV than the typical 8Cr13MoV?

This thread has been a very fun read.

I can't say that I've really had a single knife change everything for me. There are multiple knives that I've learned from, and I am feeling progressively more comfortable with my perspectives as I learn. Some examples, in order:

1. Spyderco Persistence.
Realized after extensive use that there really wasn't a point to buying other inexpensive knives. It did everything great, except hold an edge. That's not a knock. It's a lot of compliments.

2. Manix 2.
Completely blew me away by being so amazing in hand, and taught me that it doesn't matter how much I appreciate function if I don't also like how it looks. Incidentally, if you haven't already looked at a Manix 2 handle and a Hinderer handle next to each other, do it.

3. ZT 0550 & ESEE 3. I took a side by side pic at one point and realized as I was looking at them that small fixed blades are pointless for me. There is literally nothing that I would do with an ESEE 3 that I can't do with an 0550. In fact, the 0550 has a more hand filling grip! It is, in my opinion, a better camp knife than the ESEE 3. That inspired me to test the 0550 a bit, and my view is solidified. If I need "more knife" than an 0550, I'll take a Laser Strike or some other big fixed blade.

I aspire to minimalism when it comes to this hobby. Slipjoints, SAKs, small fixed blades, at the most. If I ventured into one-hand knives it would usually have to be something similarly styled: simple, lightweight, efficient. AL Mar Ultralite and HD Eagles, Spydercos like the Delica/Endura, FRN Native, Manix LW, and the Salts. I tried knives like a ZT 0550 and it turned out way too heavy and thick. I loved my Sebenzas but I couldn't justify using something so expensive.

With that in mind, why have I suddenly become fascinated with the Al Mar SERE 2000? There are so many points against it:
-Heavy, with full steel liners and a bricklike steel backspacer
-Relatively mediocre steel in VG-10
-Inefficient half-height dagger grind
-Somewhat poor blade to handle ratio
-Ridiculous street price at $200-$250
-A simple liner lock only

So why has it grabbed ahold of me so?
-The Moki build quality is RIDICULOUS. The sheer feel and class of this knife outweigh all of the negatives above.
-The "mere" liner lock is in a class with the Spyderco Military and maybe a few select others. Perfect radiused lock face, no stick whatsoever, and consistent no-play lockup at 50%.
-The ergos are very comfortable. I have exactly 0 uses for this knife as it was designed (self defense, folding boot knife, whatever you want to call it) but it has turned out to be a great general utility blade.
-With a thinned edge the inefficient grind is more or less compensated for; I'm not exactly a sashimi chef here.
-VG-10 is not the top of the heap but it has a good HT here and is easy to resharpen...the usual tradeoffs.

In summary, I have one SERE 2k in my pocket and another one on the way. They are much more old school in their design and execution, but that is not a bad thing at all.

I have a Vic Farmer on my belt everyday. Have had a SAK for 20+ years.

Spitfire%2520YoYo.JPG

Nice yo-yo!

And I'll echo what you're saying about the simple SAK. I used to think they were toys and that a "real knife" would cut them in half...
Well I was young and dumb and now I carry one every day.

Also since I haven't seen it mentioned; Rough Rider and Colt have opened my eyes to the beauty of traditional patterns and that China can make some decent knives. About to buy a Case sodbuster and always looking at vintage traditionals and SAKs on the auction sites now thanks to those. ..

My fathers little Case peanut. It changed my mind about smaller knives.

I had always had a full size stockman or SAK on me. When I was in the army, the supply room handed out the old all steel MIL-K knives like lollypops att he doctors office. So I was used to a 3 1/2 to 4 inch pocket knife with close to a 3 inch blade.

When my dad passed away, his old Case peanut ended up on top of my dresser, and it sat there for a long time in a tray with some other knick knacks. Then my 20 year old Buck 301 stockman was going back to Buck for a spa treatment and new main blade. Just for yuks, I dropped my dad's old peanut into my pocket, expecting to just carry it for a bit out of sentiment, and that I'd find it really too small for my needs as a blue collar machinist working in a shop. I mean, the Case peanut is a joke, right? Growing up, I had always wondered why dad had bothered carrying such a small knife, aside from the fact that his mom had given it to him as he was leaving home for college. The first in his working watermen family to do so.

So I carried the little thing, and mid boring Ihad a job on the mill to modify some parts that had come in a heavy cardboard box sealed with that plastic tape that has the nylon stuff running through it. Tough stuff. I reached in my pocket for my Buck forgetting Ihad sent it off, and found my dad's peanut. Thinking 'aw heck' I opened the main blade and it sliced right through the stuff. The next day I had a job on the lathe, so I went over to the rack where the round stick was stored, and took out the peanut to cut the greasy tape that was holding the 1/2 inch bars in a bundle. Again, the thin little blade went right through.

This kept up for a while, and I kind of grew used to having my pocket freed up with a smaller lighter knife that did what I needed to in real world cutting. The Case peanut was an eye opener. When my Buck came back to me all fixed up by the Buck spa treatment, I was happy to put it back in my pocket and the peanut went back on my dresser. For a while. The Buck felt like a brick in my pocket, with the 3 7/7th size and thick enough for three blades. The two bladed 2 7/8th peanut would disappear in the pocket by comparison. Working on my BMW motorcycle, the peanut would cut a new length of fuel line clean as a razor blade. It opened UPS boxes like magic. I started to leave the Buck home and go with the peanut in my pocket. Dads little Case was an example that we don't really need as much knife as we think. Or at least I didn't, and thin is good for a cutting blade. It made me think of all those old guys I used to see growing up, that had the little pen knife in the pocket, and how they all knew what they were doing.

Gospel once again. Really enjoy your stories. BTW, which BMW bike did/do you have? I have an R1150RA, it's the same old oil-head the nazis drove across Europe, with a few modern tweaks.

Back on topic, after I badly broke my leg and was laid up for a while (still hurts/bothers me, will never be right), and depressed and honestly about suicidal, I started browsing BF again, and purchased an 08 Vic Soldier. "Soldier". I was one once, and damnit I was gonna be again. I worked to walk again (they said I might not), and that knife gave me my spirit back, it just kept saying "Soldier" to me. I kept it in my pocket, and it reminded me to never quit. It's a great knife too BTW. I will never sell it. Very well made, all the right tools for every day.

Last edited:
Back