What knife would you like to see next from CPK?

Anyone I personally know that says they don't agree with having a 90* spine on a knife, isn't a user. And honestly, when are you pushing with your thumb that hard? The force, in my usage anyway, is always on my palm and never my thumb and I never really have to put my thumb on the spine for anything.
It's uncomfortable if you are notching a tent steak for example or carving. It's not the end of the world though. I like the sharp spine mostly for scraping stuff like bark off a stick opposed to striking a fire steel. I like keeping my knife clean of that smokey crap that is left on the blade as I use my knives for food prep too. Carrying a little metal striker with a 90º edge is easy and weighs nothing.

Overall i prefer no 90º spine on my knives, I actually love Busse's Nuclear Meltdown treatment how the spine is completely rounded and smooth. I would like a 90º on a "bushcraft" model though

I've notched hundreds of stakes to set up tarps and tents, never rode my thumb on the spine. I also like it for scraping tinder, and majority of the time I have matches or a lighter to start fire. For me it's one of those "you don't miss it until you need it" features. Shit happens and I've lost items in the woods and at home before, including a couple firesteel.com strikers. It's one of those things that I think should be offered. I like knives that can do more than cut stuff if called on. Obviously I can't force Nathan to make my HDFK's with a sharpened spine and the thought of taking a diamond stone to the spine of it makes me cringe.. so I'm beat and I'll always be wishing it had it.

I like the Mora Garberg's sharp pommel. It actually strikes a fire steel pretty well. Maybe some kind of feature like that could be used in the future. Honestly it doesn't bother me though, I have a firesteel and striker tied to my belt via paracord that sit in my pocket. Can't lose them unless I lose my pants.....which has happened before......okay maybe a 90º is a good idea..

I love a sharp spine on my camp knife. My primary mission in camp is the protect my edge. Use it only as needed and is prudent. Losing my prize winning keen edge is depressing when the main event Iike cutting up a large animal is still hopefully to come.

So I would use the spine for some things if possible. But I usually take several knives. But in case of only having one, then I would want that sharp spine.

Anyone I personally know that says they don't agree with having a 90* spine on a knife, isn't a user.

I'm going on record as not liking a sharp spine on a knife, and I use mine once in awhile. I rarely use gloves and my mitts are pretty hard, but I don't like the way sharp spines tear up batons.

Why not just have a ferro notch ground in Kyle? Best of both worlds.

Now that's an honest reason not to want it. It will definitely tear up a baton.

And I don't like the notches because they don't scrape tinder well at all. I like the 90* spine for more than just striking a ferro rod. I hate using my edge more than I have to when I'm in the woods, and a 90* let's you shave tinder at a really rapid pace that a knife blade wouldn't handle or keep up with.

And I don't like the notches because they don't scrape tinder well at all

That is very true. I think you and I have the same 'save the edge' philosophy, and basic approach to making tinder, i.e. produce fine scrapings that accept a spark so that there's a flame by the time it hits shavings and larger tinder. For me, I don't hit the woods with just the blade and ferro rod, usually. Most times I'm in pretty rough country and like the extra security of a small fire kit in a tin, stocked with fat wood, cotton balls, rod, striker, lighter, matches, etc. Where you're using the spine, I'm using the striker for making scrapings. And we're both saving our knife edge by doing so. I have a couple setups for when I'm traveling very light, and those do have a sharpened spine, so I do get it. I'm still hoping for chamfers on FK 2.0 though :p:D

On the FK 2.0 (didn't scroll through all the posts, I'm assuming 2.0 is the same as "LW") I'd love to see a 4.00 - 4.25" blade, .160 - .170" stock, approx. 1.30" blade height.
At least that's what comes to mind while daydreaming at my desk job :)
Can't wait to see the final result.

Last edited:
I was thinking about an exaggerated OD2 scalpel for fine work. I love OD2 for flesh, and a scalpel would be cool

Last edited:
Hidden tang, micarta handle with brushed stainless guard and pommel. 4"+/- blade, around .125 thick. Clip point, but nothing extreme. Just to give it a nice old school look while not making the tip weak. Swedge the clip.

Last edited:
I've mentioned this but decided to add it to this thread. A NASK, or HDFK in 5/32". That is all. Oh, and a pre sale!

Back