What knives do Special Forces use?

I know this has been discussed before but it's been quite a while.
Different knives and times......but has anything changed?

I've been having a on going "discussion" with a fellow at work about this.

He is animate that our Sec Op's Guys use high end knives like Busse.
I asked him where he got his info and I haven't got a straight answer.
He claims that many Guys are sent knives from home and they are upper quality.

From what I read......most Guys carry a $25 Ka-Bar or the like.
Also many Spyderco's and BM folders.
SOME units aren't even allowed to carry anything they weren't issued (issue = M9 Bayonet?)
Many don't carry upper end cuz they don't make that kinda pay nor do they wanna lose a $300 knife.

I'm also pretty certain that 95% of the knives out there that companies CLAIM are used by Spec Op's is BS!

Sooooooo you Guys out there with experience and in the know.....
What do you have to say about this.....please base your info on facts and not hear say.

Should make for interesting discussion and be educational for all :thumbup:

Idk about special forces but most military ppl I know carry emersons
I have a bud in training for special forces ill try to run it ny him sometime

An old Army boss and now decades long friend used a 108mm Victorinox Mauser through the Qualification course 30+ years ago. Selected it over the old Victorinox GAK because it had a 2d blade. He was given a Randall for being top grad so later used that. Had he not been given it, he'd have never owned it, much less used it.

someone said it above, they use whatever. They get lots of pretty knives from all kinds of makers who just want to "honor" them...errr... advertise by saying "look, I make knives for special forces!" In reality, those rot in a closet. What knife do you use? does it work and get a lot of time in the field? chances are you already own the knife the average group guy is carrying.

Last edited:
Multi tools are most common amongst my currently deployed and veteran buddies. I doubt many lug around big heavy hard use fixed blades...they carry a ton already.

I didn't wanna start a OMG .....this again thread. :rolleyes:

Last I saw this question brought to light was quite a while ago
Times have changed......new and better knives.......

Was just curious as what is REALLY used and not hyped..sorry I brought it back to light. :grumpy:

A soldier from the Swedish SF that died a couple of years ago, had a sissipuukko m95 on his west.
There was a picture of him on the news.

Overall here in Sweden i belive most soldiers have a Fällkniven of some sort, very popular brand by regular soldiers.

Dark Ops & Tops come to mind.It's says so right on their packaging! :p

From what I read......most Guys carry a $25 Ka-Bar or the like.
Also many Spyderco's and BM folders.

I don't know the answer to your question but I would bet that it is what others have said, (many different kinds). I did want to quote a specific part of your post thought as a bit of an "off topic" response. I think there are those that believe that just because a knife is a little less expensive, it is not as capable. That Ka-Bar fixed blade is plenty capable. Also, I notice a lot of police I see are carrying spyderco and benchmade. I think this has as much to do about availability as anything. What is being sold at their local B&M stores? There are those that carry the Hinderers and such but they are few and far between, just like civilians.

Whatever suits their needs. I saw multi-tools, swiss army knives, big knives, mora knives, no knives, and sporks. All were carried and used effectively. When something big came up they got an ax off the supply truck. The simple truth of ounces become pounds, and pounds become pain, tends to keep people grounded about what they really carry. You will not see many big knives on the front lines and when you do it often speaks to the inexperience of those carrying them.

Even the most awesome_est spec ops guy needs a good spork.
Luha.jpg

...SOME units aren't even allowed to carry anything they weren't issued (issue = M9 Bayonet?)

You might be surprised at what some people can get ahold of as "issue". My ex-wife was in supply (I don't remember the MOS anymore, maybe 92Y) and she was quite good at getting ahold of some off-the-wall stuff for people in her unit that she owed favors or was good friends with. Its 2013, in the age of computers orders can be pushed threw, pretty much anything with an NSN number can be obtained if you know who to ask.

Can't make a blanket statement like that, a few people believe that but there are plenty of guys that carry and trust folders.

maybe but i wouldn't trust a folder if i was looking to take someone out or needed to act fast.

maybe but i wouldn't trust a folder if i was looking to take someone out or needed to act fast.

And that's absolutely fine for you. Everyone is entitled to their own style, especially when it comes to self defense :) Just don't assume that everyone else would only trust a fixed blade too.

From my experience as a maker, retailer and a couple of friends, "Special Forces" Carry a wide range as Mr. Rat said.

There is the job at hand, then personal choice, then what they want to purchase, then what they are issued and are given as gifts.

It also seems sometimes that almost anyone that ever showed one of the knives to someone in "Special Forces" claims to make a Navy Seal, Ranger etc, approved knife. lol

Also the USMC Kabar is not a $25.00 knife, about $80-100 retail and they are still made here in the USA.

Back