What Length Blade Is Legal?

Is it 3" and under is legal to carry "concealed"? Someone define "concealed" for me. Does concealed mean, completely hidden, or even partially hidden? If I have a 3.4" blade folder, in my pocket, and the top, say, 1/4 is sticking out.... is that considered concealed? Thanks.

Doug

Depends entirely on where you be. Look in the law section and do a search for your state/country.

There is no simple way to answer your question without knowing Where you are. In most states, folders with blades under 3 inches are considered 'common pocketknives' and can be carrier completely concealed deep in a pocket. Many states allow folders with blade lengths up to 4 inches concealed (not visible). Some states consider that if the top of a pocket clipped knife is visible (even 1/4 inch) it is not concealed. Other places say it is. Knife Law is very confusing.

In california, ANY length blade is Ok to carry concealed as long as it is carried in the folded position. That means mega folders like the Rekat SIFU and the Cold Steel Vaquero Grande are legal concealed.

In some places, it may be illegal to carry a particular knife even if it is displayed openly. Check out the knife law forum here: Knife Law forum.

I am going to move a copy of your thread there.

Paracelsus

The legal length of a knife blade is usually laid out in the law - so check the laws for the jursidiction(s) that you plan to carry in. Remember, a knife may be legal in one jurisdiction, but not in another. A knife may be ok in one city, cross the city limits line into another and you could have a lot of problems.

As for concealed carry - be VERY careful here. Usually the law does not state the definition of concealed. Here in TX, if you have a CCW and carry, the handgun must be TOTALLY concealed - no part of it can be displayed.

However, carrying a knife or handgun in a holster in PLAIN site could be considered concealed because all or some of the gun or knife is not visible. This is particularly true if the holster conceals the entire gun or knife. I was flat told by an LEO in SC that my Scout pocketknife was considered a concealed dangerous weapon because it was concealed in a belt pouch. I checked the law there an the knife itself was legal - but generally LEO are either given or assume very broad latitude in determining alleged offenses. Many times, judges will side with the LEO. Be careful.

To help people out, I live in California.

LEO? Law Enforcement Officer?

It sounds like, what Paracelsus says about California is correct, I have checked with a couple of stores, and they basically say the same thing .... If it is folded, no worries.

Whew! That's a load off... but, I guess I should check with the police ... just to make certain
smile.gif
!

I have found, that the Benchmade 722 fits in the watch pocket of my jeans (my preffered location to carry it in), but I was concered that it's 3.25" blade would be too long to be legal to be "concealed" ... Hmm... Maybe I will look at a couple of mondo folders, just for kicks, eh
wink.gif
? THANKS GUYS!!

Doug

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rick1955:
The legal length of a knife blade is usually laid out in the law - so check the laws for the jursidiction(s) that you plan to carry in. Remember, a knife may be legal in one jurisdiction, but not in another. A knife may be ok in one city, cross the city limits line into another and you could have a lot of problems.

As for concealed carry - be VERY careful here. Usually the law does not state the definition of concealed. Here in TX, if you have a CCW and carry, the handgun must be TOTALLY concealed - no part of it can be displayed.

However, carrying a knife or handgun in a holster in PLAIN site could be considered concealed because all or some of the gun or knife is not visible. This is particularly true if the holster conceals the entire gun or knife. I was flat told by an LEO in SC that my Scout pocketknife was considered a concealed dangerous weapon because it was concealed in a belt pouch. I checked the law there an the knife itself was legal - but generally LEO are either given or assume very broad latitude in determining alleged offenses. Many times, judges will side with the LEO. Be careful.

</font>

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rick1955:

</font>

Can you carry a gun in plain sight there? Why would a CCW owner have to carry a gun COMPLETELY concealed?

~jf

The way I read the law in TX, you cannot go around in public places displaying a firearm (with the usually exceptions, such as hunting, firing ranges, etc.) (I guess this would fall under the general description of "branishing a firearm". You can carry a gun on your own property, although it probably would not be wise to do so in your front yard in an urban area.

I guess the reasons for a CCW person having to completely conceal the firearm is that the permit is for a "concealed weapon", and open carry of a firearm would likely cause alarm in other people.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Whirlwind:
Can you carry a gun in plain sight there? Why would a CCW owner have to carry a gun COMPLETELY concealed?

~jf
</font>

I am a Texas CHL (aka CCW) holder. My class instructor explained that under Texas law simply showing a handgun to someone is considered assault. Permit holders are required to carry our handguns so that they are not visible.

It seems a bit strange to me too, but it's one of those cases where different laws interact to create a somewhat unexpected result.

--Bob Q

Back