What makes a fighting knife

OK guys you did it.
I got this guest from JW Bensinger here at my house for a while now.
I didn't want to show it until I finish a review but can't hold it back anymore.
18367907886_9065e7d9c6_z.jpg

Hands down my best fighter but why and more details later
:p

Very nice!

What is a fighting knife and makes one good is that it is the knife you happen to have with you when the fight breaks out...all three have been around the block with me a time or two and the M7 getting least use, all three have stood in when required for most anything.

Today i normally carry a 5-6 and always always have the squashed frog somewhere as a 3/16ths" thick distal tapered convex ground razor comes in handy all the time and is no joke...the clank as it opens is enough most times...ask anyone who has thought about going up against one...they had lost before starting....

The last squashed frogs were made circa '79 and this one is a nicer earlier version from one of three makers so have taken good care of it and it is always in a side pocket always have even on dress slacks...quite protected and ready to kill any letter or package or cord at the slightest provocation nowadays....the 5-6 rarely is anywhere visible unless away from work on belt sheath which is no-no at my current installation.

Daily carry 5-6 personalized with a personal mark and a nice compact Dozier which is highly unusual due to compact stoutness, probably less than a dozen out there as this, keeping in mind that this particular 5-6 measures 0.225" at ricasso and most of blade..

None are fighters but will be there if ever another fight...most "fighters" will be in a drawer or on a wall somewhere...

In the trade, these were all called professional tools for the professional.

Last edited:
i was an engineer officer, we had deckies to tie knots if we needed them, had a deck officer show me how to macrame belts out of small stuff. that was during hippy times when they were popular. of course, not all deckies were qualified knotists. ;) they did have their uses tho.

For the record we pointed and deckies did, unless what we pointed was totally stupid which happened at times but since we were messing with boats and the Navy, they wanted us able to handle things just in case...it was a waste of taxpayer money in my case on the knot school...at least, past anything i ever actually needed.....any cub scout would smoke me like a cheap cigar...

For the record we pointed and deckies did, unless what we pointed was totally stupid which happened at times but since we were messing with boats and the Navy, they wanted us able to handle things just in case...it was a waste of taxpayer money in my case on the knot school...at least, past anything i ever actually needed.....any cub scout would smoke me like a cheap cigar...

I got my Eagle Scout and can barely do a knot to save my life. For me, it was clever to realize that I could tie a quick knot in the cord of my new Dan Bong by just grabbing the two ends and looping them in a simple left over right.

And I don't fully agree with the assumption that fighters will end up in a drawer somewhere or such instead of use. It does depend on your arrangements. I keep a reproduction V-42 Stiletto (really it's a V-42 handle and pommel with a Fairbairn-Sykes blade that has the thumbprint ricasso) on my night stand. I have many knives to pick from, but I chose that one as a last ditch, "get off me" knife because it's a symmetric design, so I can just grab it and not have to worry about grabbing it with the edge in a particular direction, and it has a very sharp tip for primary use that will permanently dissuade anyone. I used to keep an M5 Bayonet there, which I think you would find familiar, it's the same blade as the M7 but designed to mount on an M1 Garand. I switched them out because of symmetry I mentioned.

I also keep experimenting with a way of keeping a good knife on me and ready to go. I'm thinking of getting an all-weather karambit with a good kydex sheath. I have a karambit already, but it's damascus steel and didn't come with a sheath. My attempt at making one from cardboard and duct tape was less than successful in the long term, by which I mean after a week.

I hate to open the legal can of worms, as although there are quite a few folk who live in "liberal" major metro cities and states where there are horror stories of unjust prosecution by DAs, the simple fact is that the vast majority of Americans do not live in such a situation and most internet wrangling is armchair theorizing from folk who read too much and then "project"....

HOWEVER, since this is not the bad old days when you could kill without compunction and snuff a life like a candle even because duty calls, there are things to think about as to what makes a good real world fighting knife which one might actually use in a life or death one-in-millions emergency...

And it boils down to simple terms...if anyone uses a blade which obviously was designed as a specialized weapon strictly with design features of only offense and defense, and totally useless for most any other task in the minds of urban and suburban Americans, they are going to have a lot of tall explaining to do and so very easy for that person to be described as a "Taxi Driver" waiting to happen....

these are the folk who seem to think they will be able to use their battle axe or black knife with white stenciled skulls and spiked pommels and guard which shoot out razor blades and an oil slick, and not have law enforcement give them a good hard look.

Such folk might wish to give a second thought to such tactics and if in training for mortal combat, to train with less flashy tools and more with more "normal" knives , avoiding plans of using the old scimitar or broadsword and go more the direction of things excusable as machetes, hunting and fishing and kitchen knives, garden implements and etc....obvious Rambo gear with double edges, double guards, sawteeth as in my beloved #18, and smashing pommels might want to be given a second thought as to is this really what one wants impounded and examined by a grand jury as a "self defense" weapon even as those planning on opening up full auto on a housebreaker....

Be careful what you wish for because you just might get it.....as a civilian pretty much, today i tote things such as the Randall 5-6 "Camp and Trail" or 10-5 "Salt Fisherman and Household Utility" or a Dozier hunting knife for a reason...even though legal in this state, the squashed frog is essentially a riggers knife complete with marlin spike...and the universal tool khukuri....
...they have reasons for being around besides making piles of bodies out of a Conan novel...

Add more mundane blades to the training and carry list....southern style duels to the death where cutting commences at the slightest insult are pretty much gone....plan accordingly and carry a good fighting knife for the purpose....and the times.

Just mine own thoughts and suggestions....based on a very simple observation....what sword or axe killing (or anything possibly described as such by ill informed or ill educated sheriffs or spokesmen) does NOT make national headlines....and then what happens to a fair trial as various people and groups decide to get some publicity out of the event......THE END.

Last edited:
On the carry sheath, note the simple rig with the 5-6....the tab keeps the sheath from falling off blade but placed so that index finger releases sheath at natural grasp....when under belt or IWB, body pressure against belt or waistband and guard width prevent knife from slipping downward....stows handily in large jacket or coat pocket or even front trousers pocket with only an inch or so showing and easily covered for quick out and in jaunts, likewise robe pocket or pack....and moulds to body shape unlike modern American fixation with kydex.....soaked in melted beeswax in oven for 100% penetration of leather....it may take on water or sweat but rinses/wipes clean and impervious to rot....

Last edited:
Like I said, I don't fully agree. For the most part a lot of what could be considered a good fighting knife does raise eyebrows or is too big to carry on a regular basis. There are however circumstances where a good fighter will be available.

Speaking of swords, there was that headline from a while back of "Mormon Bishop with Samurai Sword Saves Woman". Not fully relevant, but it is a funny headline.

I hate to open the legal can of worms, as although there are quite a few folk who live in "liberal" major metro cities and states where there are horror stories of unjust prosecution by DAs, the simple fact is that the vast majority of Americans do not live in such a situation and most internet wrangling is armchair theorizing from folk who read too much and then "project"....

HOWEVER, since this is not the bad old days when you could kill without compunction and snuff a life like a candle even because duty calls, there are things to think about as to what makes a good real world fighting knife which one might actually use in a life or death one-in-millions emergency...

And it boils down to simple terms...if anyone uses a blade which obviously was designed as a specialized weapon strictly with design features of only offense and defense, and totally useless for most any other task in the minds of urban and suburban Americans, they are going to have a lot of tall explaining to do and so very easy for that person to be described as a "Taxi Driver" waiting to happen....

these are the folk who seem to think they will be able to use their battle axe or black knife with white stenciled skulls and spiked pommels and guard which shoot out razor blades and an oil slick, and not have law enforcement give them a good hard look.

Such folk might wish to give a second thought to such tactics and if in training for mortal combat, to train with less flashy tools and more with more "normal" knives , avoiding plans of using the old scimitar or broadsword and go more the direction of things excusable as machetes, hunting and fishing and kitchen knives, garden implements and etc....obvious Rambo gear with double edges, double guards, sawteeth as in my beloved #18, and smashing pommels might want to be given a second thought as to is this really what one wants impounded and examined by a grand jury as a "self defense" weapon even as those planning on opening up full auto on a housebreaker....

Be careful what you wish for because you just might get it.....as a civilian pretty much, today i tote things such as the Randall 5-6 "Camp and Trail" or 10-5 "Salt Fisherman and Household Utility" or a Dozier hunting knife for a reason...even though legal in this state, the squashed frog is essentially a riggers knife complete with marlin spike...and the universal tool khukuri....
...they have reasons for being around besides making piles of bodies out of a Conan novel...

Add more mundane blades to the training and carry list....southern style duels to the death where cutting commences at the slightest insult are pretty much gone....plan accordingly and carry a good fighting knife for the purpose....and the times.

Just mine own thoughts and suggestions....based on a very simple observation....what sword or axe killing (or anything possibly described as such by ill informed or ill educated sheriffs or spokesmen) does NOT make national headlines....and then what happens to a fair trial as various people and groups decide to get some publicity out of the event......THE END.

Well, agreed. And I have killed some chickens during my life and it wasn't pleasant :), but necessary. I won't kill a rare bug, if I don't have to, much to the dismay of my wife that is terrorized by anything bigger than a mosquito. I cannot even imagine cutting someone up, except to preserve your own life or a loved one's, or prevent grievious harm...and even then...how it would feel. I am not curious to find out, and wouldn't, regardless of the law...even had it been more relaxed on the subject of self-defense. As it stands, in my part of the world unless the intruder surprises you at night, you are not in self-defense, and you must use no more power than he is using. So if he has fists and is an ex-boxer, I should do the same, being50 pounds lighter, I guess. That's Europe for ya.

I have an ex-Legionaire friend, and a few words he had with me made about the difference between real-life and fiction, as well as how much some things impact you...made me look at everything in a new light.

Last edited:
i have a 'squashed frog' - aka 'gravity knife. specifically verbotten in the UK, mine is grandfathered so i can own it, as long as i keep it on my property & do not scare any sheeple with it.

the others in the photo are a bundeswehr fighting knife (ww1) top, utility knife (middle - was current issue in the '70's) aka grabendolch - grave daggers.

the Fallschirmjäger rigging knife was issued to paratroopers for one handed use to cut fouled parachute shrouds. germans used a rig where all the shrouds came to a single suspension point on their harness instead of the dual ones we used in the US (which allowed a little more control). as issued they take a bit of work to sharpen. older ones with wooden grips are worth quite a lot of money. the mqarlinspike is usefull for untying knots in paracord. it's too heavy for EDC in my book. mine is an 'Eickhorn Type V', marking on the green plastic grip is 'AES70'. it does have a thin marlinspike on the grip side opposite the trigger.
bundeswehr.jpg

As soon as I read UK and "gravity knife", I thought you were looking for trouble with authorities, :).

my edc is a cheap ceramic folding knife w/o a lock and a wharncliffe style blade with an edge a hair under 3 inchs.

they come in black and two nice 'hello kitty' composite plastic grip colors that are designed to make sheeple all warm and fuzzy. i bought two black ones.

they were horrendously expensive at £3.95 ea. (~$6). :)

Capture 001.jpgCapture 002.jpg

Top knife is quite attractive Kronckew. Blade reminds me of an American M3 Fighting Knife, though more attractive.

Moonw, I thought people would enjoy that little story. From what I know, just about all blades are legal in Utah. And take a look at On Killing by David Grossman. It's about the psychological effects of killing, and has a section on knife killing. It focuses on military and police, but it's quite interesting and broadly applicable.

Top knife is quite attractive Kronckew. Blade reminds me of an American M3 Fighting Knife, though more attractive.

Moonw, I thought people would enjoy that little story. From what I know, just about all blades are legal in Utah. And take a look at On Killing by David Grossman. It's about the psychological effects of killing, and has a section on knife killing. It focuses on military and police, but it's quite interesting and broadly applicable.

I, for one, enjoy every bit of knowledge from here. I'm like a sponge :).

Thank you for reminding me about that book, I've heard it's a must read for anyone that as much as touches...touchy subjects.

Any reading or movie or whatever falls short of actual war...and it scars you the way no egghead could ever conceive....to be avoided rather than dreamed of......

The type V messer, truppe was a smaller commercial lightly built relatively thin and shorter bladed proposition and never issued, anything lacking BUNDE mark is retail foods...the type IV (Type 1964 used by both airborne and armored crews) is massively constructed and cast steel head serves as breaker and buster as well...comparison below....dead giveaway on commercial knives is screw pivot for marlin spike, and note the issue knives scissor open around the brass bushing spike/lanyard pivot and has massive machined steel leaf springs, full stainless liners both sides and scales brass-riveted to liners. Also the guide bar on side of the 3/16ths" thick ricasso is pegged into place as are the flat springs for trigger and spike. The blade steel from this particular outfit is superb, holds a fantastic edge and came out of box razor and i mean razor sharp....it is a wonderful anything-knife which stabs effectively as it cuts due to distal taper and full convex grind...one of the most controllable handles of non-fixed blades and also extremely secure and safe...bulky by modern ideas is still far more compact than a fixed blade (as shown above) and so goes most everywhere as it is a collapsible fixed blade in my mind..

I carry 15oz Airweights at times and 10 oz knife is no obstacle, only bulk...the fallschirmjager messer is a side pocket proposition only, otherwise all it would need is knobs and an antennae to pass as a walkie talkie...it, plus a 5-6 makes a total of 17 oz and only 2 ozs over an aluminum framed j-frame S&W.....still a lot of weight/wiggle room for the handgun choice as well without feeling burdened....

A friend once owned an Eikhorn AES70/LL70/etc and thought he had owned the real thing until i sent him the REAL thing...he put it in his bug out bag and simply calls it The Beast....and said absolutely no comparison...

Last edited:
the others in the photo are a bundeswehr fighting knife (ww1) top, utility knife (middle - was current issue in the '70's) aka grabendolch - grave daggers.
Grab = grave (or as a verb grab it means asking somebody to dig)
Graben = trench, ditch (or as a verb simply digging)
Dolch = dagger

Grabendolch I'm certain is a trench dagger.

A grave dagger would be Grabdolch and thats nothing I ever heard of. In fact even if that word should exist when hearing that in German it sounds more like a dagger for digging than a grave dagger.

Trench dagger is the best translation in my opinion.

Ironically I got woken up this morning by a phone call from a friend asking what my grail fighting knife is, and what I think of Gerber (he bought something fixed blade from their tactical line) and what I think of Ka-Bars. Since I was just woken up and have many grail knives I said there are kukris I still want, and told him that my grail knives would be the Fairbairn Smatchet and Cobra, as well as the Decker-Sandow Cobra.

Grab = grave (or as a verb grab it means asking somebody to dig)
Graben = trench, ditch (or as a verb simply digging)
Dolch = dagger

Grabendolch I'm certain is a trench dagger.

A grave dagger would be Grabdolch and thats nothing I ever heard of. In fact even if that word should exist when hearing that in German it sounds more like a dagger for digging than a grave dagger.

Trench dagger is the best translation in my opinion.

I thought it a trench knife and now i see why the strange name....thanks for clarification...

What is a fighting knife and makes one good is that it is the knife you happen to have with you when the fight breaks out...

'Nuff said. When trouble breaks out, what is the best to have, whether a sharp/blunt instrument, or firearm, you're stuck with whatever you have on yourself at that moment, or utilizing anything around you as an offensive or defensive instrument.

Back