What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

XGDtRcA.jpg

ydLG2fa.jpg

I prefer single blade folders but I do have this one.

I can’t believe I missed 1,000+ pages of this thread. My first knife was a Barlow when I was about 5 years old. I misplaced it about 10 years later after replacing it with a SAK and a Buck 110. It was either a Colonial or imperial, I can’t remember for sure.

I am seeing Barlows with 1 and 2 blades here. Is either the standard? Mine was 2 blade so I have always assumed that was normal.

All of the Barlows I had as a kid we’re two blade also. I don’t know if there is a standard, someone with more historical knowledge then I have (which is probably everyone watching this thread :D) will have to address that question. I just enjoy them all!

Those are nice looking Barlows, brings back memories, wish I could find more of the knives I owned when I was a kid. Unfortunately, too many years have passed since then and they have seemed to disappear as some things tend to do.

Those are nice looking Barlows, brings back memories, wish I could find more of the knives I owned when I was a kid. Unfortunately, too many years have passed since then and they have seemed to disappear as some things tend to do.
When Remington started getting into the knife business, they did a market study on how long a pocket knife lasted while a person used it regularly!!
I seem to recall that they came up with the number of; ~3 years before it was discarded for some reason.

When Remington started getting into the knife business, they did a market study on how long a pocket knife lasted while a person used it regularly!!
I seem to recall that they came up with the number of; ~3 years before it was discarded for some reason.
Yep, that sounds about right for me when I was a kid. As I remember, I didn’t have anything that would have had anything other than sentimental value today, but I bet my buddies and I destroyed some valuable baseball cards in the spokes of our bikes!:D

Back