What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

EenkG5Y.jpg

Here are a couple of Spear comparison shots; the 2012 first (PPP) edition, and the current Ancient.
The New Ancient's blade is a small 1/16" longer, but looks longer because it is slimmer.
They both have perfect walk and talk IMO!!
Spear Comparison 1.jpg Spear Comparison 2.jpg

Note, the New Ancient is marked with an "S", due to the "Ragg" bone on the pile side. I often carry an "S" - marked knife, saving the "perfect" examples for collecting.

Here are a couple of Spear comparison shots; the 2012 first (PPP) edition, and the current Ancient.
The New Ancient's blade is a small 1/16" longer, but looks longer because it is slimmer.
View attachment 938712 View attachment 938713

Note, the New Ancient is marked with an "S", due to the "Ragg" bone on the pile side. I often carry an "S" - marked knife, saving the "perfect" examples for collecting.
Funny, the ragg bone makes it even better rather than detracting. :)

Love all the light steaks in the ebony of that PPP. That's the kind of ebony I love most. :thumbsup:

Happy 4th, all.

View attachment 938712 View attachment 938713

I’ve got a bit of that Ragg (no S mark tho) on my ancient, i think of it like a live edge on some wood furniture. I’m loving the long slim blade!

It's a judgement call in the final inspection of the knives, Laurel. There is also a bit of checking in the Ragg on mine, so that tips mine into "S" category I think. We've had a bit of controversy on what can be called a flaw, and what we can call character on these knives, as you can imagine. IMO, if they are mechanically good, all else is Character!!:rolleyes:

It's a judgement call in the final inspection of the knives, Laurel. There is also a bit of checking in the Ragg on mine, so that tips mine into "S" category I think. We've had a bit of controversy on what can be called a flaw, and what we can call character on these knives, as you can imagine. IMO, if they are mechanically good, all else is Character!!:rolleyes:
Definitely, I see it that way too. Live edges in furniture are desirable imo. I’m lucky to have some furniture making friends, and most of my stuff has live edges on it.

Your patience will be rewarded. Until then, couple pics of my only 14 TC. Love these covers, a clip point blade would be almost perfect.

gecsmoothyellowboneTC14-1.jpg

I had one almost identical to yours John. Your right about those covers there amazing.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Back