What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

Oh oh!! I'm sorry!! I totally forgot to keep it to Barlows only. I can delete if the Mods require it. Yes, there are two knives there that are "boys" knives. Again, apologies. I could also amend the text in my thread so that it is accurate!

Hi All. Have been admiring all the English Barlow and other photos. Here are a few Sheffield Barlows. The one on the left has ox horn covers and a worked back. Second from left has ram’s horn covers. Third from left has regular delrin covers and is a brand new two blade given me by my father years ago. Fourth from left is a lambsfoot I picked out when in Sheffield a long while back. The late Trevor Ablett etch is still faintly visible. Finally, the knife on the far right was my late grandfather’s - a Joseph Rodgers that saw good use. My father has a two blade eyewitness given him in 1958. I’ll post a picture of that one when I find it. Best to all. MJ.

View attachment 1151776 View attachment 1151777 View attachment 1151779
View attachment 1151780
Wonderful post MJ!

IMG_6154.jpeg

So, I was digging out the Stag TC Barlow for Stag Saturday, and came across these rare ones, so took a couple of quick scans!! The top two knivesRare Group 1.jpg Rare Group 2.jpg Rare Group 3.jpg are examples of Evans checkering skills, a bone ancient and an Elephant clip! The middle spear is the prototype TC from the first run!! Next is a perfectly re-handled Stag example (Evan again), and then an Elephant gift from Bill at GEC!
Treasures from years of producing TCs!!!:)

So, I was digging out the Stag TC Barlow for Stag Saturday, and came across these rare ones, so took a couple of quick scans!! The top two knivesView attachment 1152790 View attachment 1152791 View attachment 1152792 are examples of Evans checkering skills, a bone ancient and an Elephant clip! The middle spear is the prototype TC from the first run!! Next is a perfectly re-handled Stag example (Evan again), and then an Elephant gift from Bill at GEC!
Your creations are worthy of framing. Your rare TCs are exquisite.

So, I was digging out the Stag TC Barlow for Stag Saturday, and came across these rare ones, so took a couple of quick scans!! The top two knivesView attachment 1152790 View attachment 1152791 View attachment 1152792 are examples of Evans checkering skills, a bone ancient and an Elephant clip! The middle spear is the prototype TC from the first run!! Next is a perfectly re-handled Stag example (Evan again), and then an Elephant gift from Bill at GEC!

Wowzers... Choice stag!

I needed to wear sunglasses to watch theses beauties! :) Top bone jigging is pure magic. Too rarely seen these days (I don't say others are mean! :D:D:D)

Stunning group of TC's there Charlie, Evan does excellent checkering work.

Magnificent display Charlie. :eek:

Some worn saw cut for Saturday.

View attachment 1152842
Wonderful saw cut. That patinated fat spear on the Keen Kutter! Love brown bone!

a36zuyN.jpg

Amazing set of GEC Barlows. :cool: :thumbsup:

The crème de la crème of TC Barlows. Yowza! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Evan's work is superb. Thank you for posting these, Charlie.

Must be an optical illusion from your scanner Charlie but these sides all appear to have very flat bolsters as opposed to the graceful, compound curve taper that I know they have (and what makes your TCs stand above the rest of the modern offerings).

Back