What Makes Spyderco so Good?

Hey, this is my first post. Basically the reason I am making this thread is because I need help convincing my friend that Spyderco makes some of the best knives in the world. I am somewhat new to the knife collecting world (been researching and seriously buying knives for about a year now) and It seems to me that Spyderco's are some of the best knives around. The only two I currently own are the Tenacious and a FFG Delica. Anyway, my friend claims that he has heard that SOG are better than Spyderco, which I know is not true. Anyway, what are the features and things in general that make Spyderco's so good, because I have failed in trying to convince him. Thanks!

Spyderco makes some high performance cutlery. They typically work with some of the best steels available in the industry and more importantly they don't just use it they use it correctly with great blade geometry, attention the the edge and bevel and they are picky about proper heat treatment for the blade steels.

Hey, this is my first post. Basically the reason I am making this thread is because I need help convincing my friend that Spyderco makes some of the best knives in the world. I am somewhat new to the knife collecting world (been researching and seriously buying knives for about a year now) and It seems to me that Spyderco's are some of the best knives around. The only two I currently own are the Tenacious and a FFG Delica. Anyway, my friend claims that he has heard that SOG are better than Spyderco, which I know is not true. Anyway, what are the features and things in general that make Spyderco's so good, because I have failed in trying to convince him. Thanks!

Features of the knives and the company:
Lots of R&D goes into a design before it's released.
One of only a few companies to consistently introduce new and exotic steels to the market
Spyderco brought lots of innovations to the game (search for the various elements) including the pocket clip, serrated edges, various locks, etc.
Ergonomics are outstanding on almost every model.
They listen to their customers and introduce designs based on our feedback
Spyderco Sage is a tribute to knife makers and the locking mechanisms that have been contributed to the world, and makes donations to National Alzheimer's Association Denver, Colorado Chapter.
Spyderco Pink knives supports Breast Cancer Network of Strength
They also provide the SPyderco Whale Rescue Blade in an effort to maintain the whale populations abundant.

What's not to like?

In my opinion what makes spyderco a great company (aside from personal preferences) is the fit and finish and the quality of the materials they work with for the price range. With spyderco you absolutely get what you pay for, they're not jacking up prices to make a bigger profit on their higher end pieces like some other companies do, it's almost a straight percentage cut, you pay more because the knife is better and you always get your monies worth.

I love their blade styling and the spyderhole but that's really more preference. The materials they make knives with for the price range you pay though isn't... and that's rather hard to find elsewhere.

I concur with RevDevil, STR, and j3jymann.

Spyderco are industrial leaders, SOG, well they're just followers.

me and my friend debate all the time over knife companys and prices among affordable folders( S&W, SOG, Gerber, Kershaw, Ontario, ect ect... ) while i dont think any 1 company is the best altho alot are better than others and spyderco is far up there.

i agree fully with the above said, here is why i like the Spydercos over the SOG knives that i have held in hand

Better Steel Options.
better feeling in hand ( Ergonomics or however it is spelt )
pocket clip's on some SOG knives have sog cutout of them, this makes them very weak if they catch on anything. the Spyderco wire type pocket clip is open or "cutout" in a way but its rounded and kinda springy, the SOG's are just flat.
i dont really like the sliding lock system on some of their knives( i forgot what its called )
some of them have like little saftey and switches and whatnot, i dont like them overthinking a folder, i think smith and wesson ( taylor llc or whatever ) does this alot, they try and put alotta cool features in one cheap knife

thats just my thoughts on the few models i have held in my hand

i held my friends SOG trident and well comparing it to my endura 4 waved and d'allara (ball bearing lock, discontinued model) well it felt like a toy and i really didn't like the ergos. spyderco on the other hand.... great ergos, awesome designs, steel, edge geometry, and i love them spyderholes. and i find them more pleasing to the eye, that and they look less "tacti-cool" and more utilitarian which is what all my knives are used for. and they donate to very good charities as listed above. and well i agree with the above listed statements too. and their price point is really good, you can find their models pretty cheap depending which online vendor you choose. you can find them on this thread here : http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/838387-best-online-spyderco-dealers

Last edited:
They use really good steel in many of their knives, and use steels that many companies wont touch, namely H1. Both of the knives I bough from them have great fit and finish, were very competitively priced, and perform well. They both came with an excellent edge. And it didnt even require reprofiling like so many factory knives do. Great edge geometry.

They just make great knives. I have no complaints whatsoever with my knives for spyderco.

Don't think I can really add anything to Rev's excellent reply. I bought a Manix 2 based on positive feedback that I got here on the forum, and haven't regretted it one bit. It's truly an amazing knife with great ergonomics and balance. The only SOG I own is a Twitch II, and compared to the Manix..well wait, there is NO comparison. :D

I just don't have any love for SOG's

Spyderco is an excellent company.....unfortunately, for all the claims of "ergos", none of the 10 or so models I've handled (including my Endura) really fit my hand well. It's a shame, because they are well made, high quality knives.

Plus 1 to RevDevil's post. One point I'd like to make is that there is no need to convince your friend of anything. Let him own and use SOG if he prefers them. Their line may meet his needs just fine. I will only try to talk someone out of a particular knife if it is truly dangerous for them to use. People who know better choose better tools, and among production knives, Spyderco really shines, but there are other good knives as well. So long as you are convinced that your choices work for you, your friend does not need to be convinced of anything.

Good point Bill1170, I agree with you. I honestly don't care what kind of knives he uses, I was just trying to help him but his money into the best product possible. He probably just likes the "tactical" look of SOGs, and thats fine.

Spyderco does an enormous amount of R&D and gets feedback before releasing a model to the market, they use the best steels and combine that with optimal HT that is determined by R&D for the steels and intended use of the knives.

They design the blades for optimal performance based on the use of that model and choose the best blade grind and geometry for it based on R&D.

What we end up with are high performance knives with great steels that perform at extremely high levels.

I have never owned a Spyderco knife, but I've seen a few. They are definitely well made. They just look a little weird to me. Although, the way I collect knives I will probably have one sooner or later.

I agree with all that's been said, good point on the R&D--they are very committed to testing and improving their products.

I think the key element are that they simply do not cut corners--whether it's in the design (ergonomics, cutting performance) or the materials. They don't stop at acceptable, they strive for excellence. For example their steel selection--I look at a lot of other companies, and see knives for $50 in AUS-8 or even 420HC..not to disparage those steels, they are great for what they are, but certainly not high performance by today's standards. I just shake my head and thank God for Spyderco.

I seriously cannot believe I'm getting a Para 2 in quite possibly the highest-performing knife steel in existence, and it's costing my well under $150 (I'm a lucky one whose pre-order came through, so I don't have to pay ridiculous gouged prices).

I think one thing that causes Spyderco to be such a great company is the fact that they truly have a passion for what they do. They are knife users and lovers, and seem to be just as if not more enthusiastic than the us enthusiasts on the forums.

Also, I think they are simply good, honest, ethical people. They are not just in this to make money. They know there is much more to life than that. I think that they do this because it's what they love, and they provide an amazing service to the knife community by providing cutting-edge (no pun intended) cutlery at a very fair price. A great testament to their ethical nature is all of the models that support great causes. Different knives they make or have made support Alzheimer's, AIDS in Africa, Breast Cancer, September 11 terrorist attacks, and the brave troops fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Their pursuit of excellence in the industry and in life inspires me, and makes me proud to carry a Spyderco every day! I know, I'm gushing :D

Back