What model thermometer?

Anyone use an Omega with a thermocouple, I think Bruce does. What is the best unit, hopefuly cheap. They seem to sell hundreds of different models? HH 81-82 seem pretty reasonable, but I've never used one to know one way or another.

I have an OMEGA that my brother gave me last year. I used to work for a defense subcontractor and we used these all the time for temo control. They are a quality unit....but since it was a freebie, I have no idea what they sell for.

It is a very precise unit and I use it in my toaster/tempering oven.

You're right, there's so many choices it can make your head spin. But if you look on Omega's web-site, there's contact info. Call and talk to a tech, tell them what you're doing and what you want, and they will hook you up.

I have an Alloy 600 from South Eastern Heaters in my digital salt bath. It's spendy, but made for volatile environments. I have a ceramic thermocouple in my forge, but it burned off and is in need of replacement.

About the only thing I can tell you to look for specifically is a k-type thermocouple. This is the one for the heat range we're using in forges and furnaces.

Nick

If you call Omega, DON'T waste time with a "Sales Technician". They'll sell you the wrong thing. Make certain and go to a "Technical Engineer". Make sure and get an Inconel or ceramic probe, not SS. If you are leaving it in the forge environment continuously, get a "well" and it will last a bit longer.

You should be able to get by for around $130. I paid a wee bit over $220 for the meter/probe combo I chose. I wanted portability. Pay extra special attention to the top end of the temp scale. One cutoff point is 2300F, the preferable one for forge work is 2498F. Be aware that the limits of accuracy on a K-type/meter is about +/- 3%. If your probe gets exposed overtemp for even a brief while, it will be shot.

The ideal probe is platinum/rhodium, but $700 seemed a bit spendy to me... :)

Fluke makes good stuff, too....

If you're putting it in your forge, you can pick up an analog pyrometer from Miami Clay for $75. If you're using one to control a salt pot, I'd go with a digital PID controller...ebay is a good place to pick these up for cheap.

-Darren

Thanks,

That's more than i knew. I heard one guy around here mention what he was using, and Iconel for the TC is what it sounded like, but it didn't register for me.

I have a bunch of ovens for all kinds of things beyond knife making, and if these things work, it would really help organize my process.

OK...here's just a brief run down. Its been a while since I worked in instrumentation but here goes.

Inconel or ceramic is where the thermowell is concerned. This is a hollow tube that is blinded on the end that the thermocouple slides in to. They are made to protect the thermocouple and they will also dampen rapid temperature fluctuations. Some folks have experienced lower temperatures readings using a thermowell. This may be due to a number of reasons, one, the thermowell being the improper material for the application, it being too thick, or not being placed in the proper location in the furnace or material.

How thermocouples work is that they are two disimilar metals forming a "thermo-couple". Due to this "couple" being two different metals, a microvoltage is produced and this potential will be different at different temperatures. It is a non linear scale however will be different for each type of thermocouple used.

The upper range of a type K thermocouple is around 2400 degrees. Type K thermoucouples are made from chromel-alumel. Out of all of the thermocouples this type is probably the hardest to weld. If you ever look at a type K thermocouple at the weld it will look splattered somewhat. I have seen where a bad K thermocouple will open up at higher temperatures and close back up and appear to be good when checked cold.

Type R or type S thermouples are made from platinum-platinum/rhodium and are good up to about 2700 degrees. For what you pay for these they better last longer than a type K!

As far as controllers are concerned, a PID controller was mentioned. PID stands for proportional, integral, and derivative action. These controllers have to be tuned. Most controllers have an auto tune feature these days.

When purchasing a controller one of the first things you have to know is what sort of a "final control element" you are going to use. All that it means is wheather you are going to use a relay to turn electrical power on or off, use an SCR drive to pulse an heating element or use a positioning valve.

On/off control is about the sloppiest. That is what your kitchen oven uses. I would recommend using a time proportioning output. What this does is that it will still turn it off and on however it does it on cycles or pulses. The closer it is to the operating temperature or setpoint the less it is on. It is much more accurate control then just basic on/off control. This is used to drive a contact or relay output. In other words, don't drive a heating element directly with your controller, drive a relay with your controller and wire the "other side" of your relay to the element. You can also use this sort of output to drive a solenoid gas valve.

A current proportioning output usually puts outa standard 4-20 milliamps which drives some device such as an SCR drive that would drive a heating element or some other FCE or Final Control Element. What we do in industry is usually have what is called an I/P, or current to pressure transducer that converts or transduces this 4-20ma current to 3-15 psi to drive a valve. This is pretty common but expensive for the average person like you or me.

A position proportioning output is directly to a motor. Not very likely we'll use this either.

So all this gobble-de-goop to say this. For most of our needs other than a heat treat oven where fairly tight control is needed, we primarily need just a temperature indicator. Most any temperature controller or indicator will give you what you want.

Craig

Thanks Craig, that's a big help.

I don't want the thing to control my forge, I just want to know what temp it's at. And the same for my toaster oven, and my bow press, and my tempering tube for bamboo flyrods, and the kitchen oven... So all I need is a device that gives me one number.

For a forge a thermowell does not have to be fancy. you could use a piece of 3/4 or 1 inch pipe, cap the end and slide your thermocouple all the way to the endcap. This will protect your thermocouple from an oxidizing atmosphere and dampen any fluctations in temperature. It will also prolong the life of your thermocouple.

As mentioned, just about any type K indicator or controller would work. I use my controller as an indicator, works great. It should work in your toaster oven, kitchen oven, forge and also check the internal temp of your thanksgiving turkey if you are feeling industrious. For myself, I'll just watch the parades and football games.

Craig

Back