What multi tool, You using today?

Captain Crunch and the Ambassador...

7oHv2Gf.jpg

Same one that has been in my pocket now for five years, my Leatherman squirt, teamed up with my Victorinox executive that has been a two year regular. That combo has worked for me for 99.9% of what I need in my day to day life, so why change?
My problem is that I’m entirely to fond of my collection that I have to mix it up.

No matter what multi tool/SAK I have in my pocket, I’m well equipped for the daily routine. Sometimes I have more “tool” in my pocket than I truly need, but while my collection is modest, I’ve kept the stuff I like and I want to use it.

I’m not as “over the top” as I once was (three knives every day), nowadays it’s a combo of a primary folder and a Vic or LM T4, and the primary folder keeps getting smaller lol

My problem is that I’m entirely to fond of my collection that I have to mix it up.

No matter what multi tool/SAK I have in my pocket, I’m well equipped for the daily routine. Sometimes I have more “tool” in my pocket than I truly need, but while my collection is modest, I’ve kept the stuff I like and I want to use it.

I’m not as “over the top” as I once was (three knives every day), nowadays it’s a combo of a primary folder and a Vic or LM T4, and the primary folder keeps getting smaller lol

I now what you speak of, Lee. While I maintained a 'collection', I switched up almost everyday. But once the passion of the knife thing left me, and I did my first of the great downsizing, I found that it was easier than I thought to just rid myself of the collection and temptation. Once I was down to where I could hold my entire accumulation in one hand, it was easy to let pragmatic feelings loose and just go with what worked for me day after day.

My kids, grandkids, nephews, niece, old co-workers, friends and forum friends got some good pocket knives.

edit to add; It was nice to give all the stuff away and see my family and friends carry and use it while I was still alive and above to appreciate how much they appreciated them. Now I don't have to worry about who is getting what when I shuffle off this mortal coil. :D

Hey Sos, how do you like that after market pommel?
I really like it. The pry tip is not very big but does work for light use. I wouldn’t recommend using the hammer in place of a regular hammer for all day or heavy work, but it is great for when you see a loose nail or want to Create a hole to help start a screw, etc.

That being said, for regular use, I think I like the one without V-cutter a little better. The pry tip has a little more length and you get both a leatherman bit driver (in top) and 1/4in bit driver (in side) on the Hammer Jammer in place of V-cutter and oxygen tank wrench.
ED7D5EC1-8B37-41EF-A54F-2FE6CABBF5D4.jpeg

I really like it. The pry tip is not very big but does work for light use. I wouldn’t recommend using the hammer in place of a regular hammer for all day or heavy work, but it is great for when you see a loose nail or want to Create a hole to help start a screw, etc.

That being said, for regular use, I think I like the one without V-cutter a little better. The pry tip has a little more length and you get both a leatherman bit driver (in top) and 1/4in bit driver (in side) on the Hammer Jammer in place of V-cutter and oxygen tank wrench.
View attachment 1412972

Thanks for the detailed response! I don't own a Skeletool, but the addition of the Hammer Jammer may be enough to make me get one.

Have been carrying pretty much since I got it. Here's some thoughts on it.

It's a stout little thing, at 93cm long, approx 1.1/2cm across spine. It is very solid but weighs only 93.6g.
Ergonomics are comfortable, even with large hands it's wide so it's not causing excessive fatigue, that similar Slim tools can. No sharp edges on handle,all edges are bevelled, jimping on spine as it's not excessive or sharp. The scale pattern adds a nice little texturing for grip. I did think the scale screws might be a problem as they are not sunk flush but to date no problem.

The lock, is the new magnetic system, you unlock by sliding the bar across on the scale. I'm impressed in that it is a solid on the blade and all the tools. I don't know how it will wear but I've used it consistently and find it easy to use and I'm a lefty.

the main reason I wanted to try this tool, as all the tools open 1 handed and has the basics.

The Blade
It's 5 1/2 approx shape is almost a semi skinner belly with a drop point, handy shape has enough belly for rolling or draw cuts and point for piercing.
It's a thick little blade with a high hollow ground. Tried to capture it in following pic. It does have the cut out in the blade for opening. So it does have the problem that all cut out blades, like spyderco holes. The hole creates a void that can create drag when cutting when cutting. I found it more noticable on the smaller blade, not enough to stop using it but it is there.
Now it's supposed to be 1 handed, problem is like the wave and skeletools the blade is on the wrong side for left handed. So you use your index finger for a 1/3 then use your thumb. I've got used to it over the years.
I have seen in reviews that it can be hard to open 1 handed due to size. I think some of it might be due to the lock system, if you open it about 1/3and let it go it had resistance and snap shut.

The tools are all 1 handed opening and lock. They are even easy to use left handed.
For me multitools are what I use in my daily life, not just going bush, so everything from gardening, cooking, cleaning whatever I'm doing through the day.

The Awl
It doesn't have a traditional tip more a couple mm chisel, so can be used as a flathead screwdriver if yo want. Has nice edge.
Works well for punching holes in buckets, solid and cause it locks you can use pressure without it closing on your fingers. Great for removing foil seal off tins(like milo/coffee cans). Works well as a mini scraper. I have tried punching through 3mm scrap leather, works well. Great for sliding under ring pulls on large cans.

Mini prybar combo.

Has partial blade on bottom for package opening. It works I use it a fair bit. Everything from cutting tape on boxes to blister packages.
Works as large flathead.
Prybar is great for opening things.
I find it a very handy tool.

Screwdriver/bottle opener.

It's a flat shaft Phillips head. As it is an inline locking screwdriver with a thick handle, makes it feel more like a traditional single driver and the shaft is long enough to reach most jobs.
Bottle opener, yes it opens bottles. I use it more as a jar opener, put the edge under the edge to break the seal, I've used it quite a bit.

So summing up.

The pros
* The one handed opening, if like me you have reduced use of 1 hand, it's a bonus to easy get the tool you need or even better to switch tools.
*locking tools.
*lock mechanism is easy to use
*Ergonomics It's a bit of an ugly duckling but I like it and it's comfortable to use.
*weight is good doesn't feel heavy in a pocket.
*versatile blade shape.
*Easy to keep clean.

The cons
*lanyard hole is too small for paracord and to wide for key ring. That is why I have brekaway chain on mine.
*Have to buy pocket clip separate.
*The price it's a huge con.
On Leatherman US site retail $39.95US = $54.90 aud approx
On Leatherman Aus site retail is $99.95Aud plus $24.95 for pocket clip and lanyard ring.

Would I recommend 1, yes if it was cheaper. As at the current price and you wanted the pocket clip, it would be more economical to buy the T4 with scissors and comes with pocket clip. For you guys in the states it's still a viable option but outside the states the price be a detriment for purchase.

If you like them shop around I bought mine on sale.
Cheers
Mitch

Back