What possible good is there in

In reading the news and listening to Radio Nepal we learn the Maoists have.....

blown up power stations -- leaving areas without electricity -- very nice for local hospitals and health stations.

blown up schools -- kids have no place to learn.

blown up a dairy -- 6000 litres of milk a day bought from local farmers. Now no place to sell the milk. Probably no need anyway. The Maoists will just rustle the cows anyway.

blown up an agricultural distribution center where NGOs gave seed, pesticides and fertilizer to local farmers too poor to buy these products. No seeds, no fertizer or pesticides for the poor.

blown up telecommuications stations -- now the only way to get info in or out is hand carrying hard copy for ten days.

blown up roads and bridges -- nice. Nothing to market and no supplies coming in, including food and medical supplies.

blown up airports -- recent bombing of airport in Western Nepal caused prices to go up sixfold on everything.

What's the point? How can this be liberating the people of Nepal? Does anybody see how any good can come from this?

I sure as Hyell hope this makes it to the news tonight. If it aint in the media I am gonna be real pissed...we gotta do something.

IF THIS AINT TERRORISM WHAT IS? :mad:

Write your Senitors!!!

Like most (all :barf: ) politicos, talking one way and act the other.

Try to help the good folks, and take notes since it is spreading all over (communist or no, its still the same B$) :barf: :barf: :barf:

)
IF THIS AINT TERRORISM WHAT IS

I'd say it is in the very literal sense of the word:mad:

Terror: "4:violence(as bombing)committed by groups in order to intimidate a population or government into granting their demands"

Terrorism: "the systematic use of terror esp. as a means of coercion"

(Merriam Webster's Collegiate Dictionary)

Maybe the people that are duped into committing these vile acts believe that they are fighting for something. Those they follow who plan such things seem more like bratty (but thoroughly dangerous and deranged) children breaking each others toys:

"If WE cant't run the country, then no one can, because it will be destroyed."

Who would want to rule a wasteland? In the rural areas, sounds like soon there won't be anything left for them to steal from starving farmers.

The mindless tapeworm is smart enough not to kill it's host.

I want to see those US troops in action!!!! I'm very impatient. BirGorkha and a lot of other small business are being slowly strangled to death due to acts such as the above along with all the other senseless killing, theft, disruption and general criminal acts.

Uncle Bill,
I guess that all we can hope for in this present situation is that with these rebels being so bold, blatant and violent against innocents. Maybe the free world will see what a threat the rebels are to the stability of Nepal and step in to help and stamp out this cancer. These rebels are nothing but a blight on their country and should be wiped out like we would any other plague! I pray that something can come to pass.

Why do the Maoists destroy infrastructure?

It might be that they are destroying everything that was built with outside aid. Since much of the outside aid is skimmed off, or misused for projects that may actually harm those whom it was intended to help, they view aid and all results of it as bad. May not make sense to destroy the little bit of good that has resulted from the aid, but they seem to think that outside aid is all that supports the current regime.

Interesting reading--maybe those knowledgable can comment on accuracy: (did you know that Japan has provided the most aid, and is most despised by the Maoists?)

"Himalayan Blunderland -- The killing fields of Nepal"

http://www.blonnet.com/bline/2002/02/20/stories/2002022000531300.htm

Don't fool yourselves, they are doing it to create chaos and fear because those conditions favor them. They want to sieze power.

Don't fool yourselves, they are doing it to create chaos and fear because those conditions favor them. They want to sieze power.

No doubt. That's why they attack police stations and government structures/institutions. But many of the things Bill has listed damage the people from whom their support comes far more than the government or it's supporters. Either they're insane, or something symbolic, not practical is behind some of these acts.

RonS is right on. They want to seize power, and they want to demonstrate to the people that they can and will take out anyone who gets in the way.

A government governs by the consent of the governed. But as Al Capone said,

"It's easier to persuade someone with a friendly smile and a gun than with just a friendly smile."

The maoists have merely substituted fear for the friendly smile.

There is also no question that the maoists are sane. The question is whether they should be considered as humans after the things they've done.

I believe that psychologically and spiritually a good case can be made that they could once again become human under the right circumstances.

As a matter of practicality though I'd gladly concede that leaving them hanging for several days in the town square would have a much more salutary effect on everyone concerned.

You must understand your enemy to truly defeat him.

If you understand him soon enough, maybe you have one less enemy.

IMO the URL I posted is valuable to understanding what is happening, even if it is not 100% accurate.

It's not a case of Nepali government good, commies bad. The current government shares the blame.

Much more complex, with the established leaders of both sides in the wrong, and the ordinary people caught in the middle. Moderate the extremists on both sides and maybe there is hope.

Those who are not willing to entertain moderation must be neutralized before things can proceed. On both sides.

Right now the Maoists are the worst offenders, and it seems that the only route to moderate them is is partial/complete annihilation, but the corrupt government must also be changed before things can be righted.

Only then can the future "revolutionaries" energies be channeled instead to bettering Nepal. Other wise a truely insidious situation will prevail, where what should be the strength of the country instead eats away at it from within and perverts all attempts to aid it's recovery.

Reverting to the state of things a few years ago sure doesn't look like enough to me. Hopefully the rest of the world will pay enugh attention to get the job done.

Back