What Sharpening Stone For Shaving Straight Razor?

I don't know too much about sharpening a straight razor but I do know that most people stropp rather than sharpen.

Maybe some who has used or uses a SR will chime in.

I hope you're not thinking of spending $270.00 on your 1st SR. I'd get some advice from some SR users first.

I think stropping straight razor is different from a knife. I remember my Grandfather stropping his razor years ago when I was 8-12 years old. Get some advice on this too.

I suggest a set of Spyderco ceramic bench stones for starting out. I also suggest getting a Dovo Special Tortoise as a first razor--not that overpriced bit of work. I love that Boker is getting back in the game, but based on reviews I've heard they're a long way from their quality matching their steep asking price.

Naniwa

P1030982.jpg

You don't need stones for maintaining a new razor, all you need is a leather & canvas strop like you see in barber shops (or old movies). That'll maintain an edge on your razors for years.

You only need stones when it is time to rehone the blade to reprofile the edge. You are far from that stage.

I suggest that you invest in a good Dovo razor to start with.

I think you should buy whatever razor you want ;) I think there are better razors for the money but that is beside the point.

Honestly you should buy a razor from someone that can professionally sharpen it. Most reputable dealers will do that as most of the higher end razors don't come sharpened. Different people like them sharpened differently.

I would call Classic Shaving or Vintage Blades LLC and get some advice. There are other reputable places as well. The guys I mentioned are very nice and helpful and I guarantee will save you money and heartache.

As mentioned all you really need is a quality two sided strop to maintain a razor. Eventually you will want to get it sharpened again but properly taken care of it will be a long time in between sharpenings. Even if you have the skills you will likely never spend the money for the stones that they use. If you did it would be a horrible value for you.

You can wear a razor out sharpening it pretty damn fast to the point you have to put such a thick edge on it that it will not shave well. Anyways good luck with it and enjoy your venture into the world of straight shaving. It's a lot of fun. You might also look into a good DE razor for those times you need to shave quicker but still want a quality shave.

Unless the razor is purchased professionally honed, it will require a little work on a stone to be shave ready. So a stone may or may not be necessary to begin with, depending on if you order one as such or not.

I would also consider looking at shavingshop.com. I bought a few razors from John and he is a great person to deal with. Your razors will also come professionally honed, which is a necessity unless you are very versed in straight sharpening. My first few razors were off the bay and cheap so I could learn to sharpen and try shaving on the cheap before dropping hundreds on a good razor. I used Norton waterstones in 4K and 8K grits to get my edges then used a 12K chinese waterstone to finish on before stropping. Read on some of the straight razor forums and you will get several more answers. Most fellas on there use Shaptons and Naniwas to sharpen and hone. Also if you have not bought a razor yet go ahead and get a good one. I had an introductory DOVO for $90 and was very unpleased. My Heribert Wackers I got from shaving shop wre well worth the dollars spent though. Good luck and have fun, a straight is the only razor to touch my face anymore.

Don't get an expensive razor for your first. If you have to ask what kind of hone you should get to sharpen a straight razor, chances are that you don't have much experience. You ARE going to mess up your first razor.

It would be much more advisable to get a razor from someone who knows how to hone it (and will sell it to you shave-ready.) You can find all sorts of these at sites like Whipped Dog or Straight Razor Place.

If the razor is specifically said to be shave ready i wouldn't worry about it. However, there are many straight razors that just have a factory edge on it that requires some work to be made shaving sharp.

Now as for the stones i always use coticules and i love them so id say go for ones of those, but there are plenty of other good options out there.

I also like the Belgium yellow coticule and before that stone I use the Spyderco x-fine ceramic, then a good strop and you're on your way. DM

Last edited:
A good canvas/leather strop is what you need. If it gets duller, a seperate strop with 1 to 0.5 micron paste. Sharpening is not needed all that often. Every 3-6 months maybe, with a fine stone 8000 jap grit.
I use waterstones from naniwa 5k 10k and 12k. Dmt xxf and recently also a spyderco uf. All will do well, you'd need only one of those. Unless you mess up the edge by dropping the razor etc or bumping it into something, a fine stone is all you need for some time.

I bought a dovo as my first. I also have thiers issard razors and some used old ones i restored.
Dovo is fine, just make sure the razors are shave ready. Every razor will shave when honed correctly..

There is a str8 razor dvd passaround here. Sign up for some good info!

The two most recent razor purchases I made were at an antique shop. Total spent was $16.96 out the door. I did have to do some refurbishment and my version of a proper sharpening. Shaved with one that evening with very good results. If I did not have the sharpening equipment/stones/strops, I would take the majority advice and get a good razor that came professionally honed. Hope you have fun!

I've been looking at Shapton glass stones, from 1k-30k but it seems like it will put me back about 800 bucks for just the stones... might be cheaper just to buy new straights and pay someone to hone them.

I've been looking at Shapton glass stones, from 1k-30k but it seems like it will put me back about 800 bucks for just the stones... might be cheaper just to buy new straights and pay someone to hone them.

I'd say skip the shaptons and go for something else. I know some people like them but my experience with them is that they leave a too harsh of a edge.

I always prefer naturals so if you want to still spend the big bucks a escher or a japanese stone will be great, or for cheaper a coticule which is my favorite stone.

Back