What sheath for Victorinox RangerGrip 178?

I looked at the offerings from Vic and was unimpressed and wondered if the group had found alternatives for the Victorinox RangerGrip 178? Perhaps a Leatherman has been tried?

This is my first post and I'm overwhelmed with the wealth of knowledge in here, really wonderful. And thanks.
5v557w

https://www.flickr.com/gp/88299419@N00/5v557w

Last edited:
I looked at the offerings from Vic and was unimpressed and wondered if the group had found alternatives for the Victorinox RangerGrip 178? Perhaps a Leatherman has been tried?

This is my first post and I'm overwhelmed with the wealth of knowledge in here, really wonderful. And thanks.
5v557w

https://www.flickr.com/gp/88299419@N00/5v557w

Have you considered multitool/flashlight pouches from manufacturers like Maxpedition or Tasmanian tiger? Those would be durable but affordable options if bit of "tactical" look doesn't bother you.
Alternatively there are some cross draw leather sheaths that might work, but I can't say what manufacturers are good because I don't have experience on those.
Ultimately, if you like to carry the knife a lot I would also consider having sheath made specifically for the knife. It's costs you more but the comfort and fit of the sheath tailored for you is unbeatable.

I looked at the offerings from Vic and was unimpressed

I bought the black leather to make free shipping from an internet closeout dealer and I threw it out upon arrival. Victorinox's Zermatt leather pouches are good enough and they sold better ones in the past, but not for your knife. Too bad! I would check the "Sheaths & Such" sub-forum.

Yes, please do! I have the Vic nylon/polyester sheath for my Rangergrip 78. It's OK but I'd like something more rugged.
Ok. So got the Rangergrip 78 with the NiteIze sheath. It fits, but tight. The Kabar sheath though is great and fits it without any issue. Haven't posted pictures before - will see what I can do.

Ok. So got the Rangergrip 78 with the NiteIze sheath. It fits, but tight. The Kabar sheath though is great and fits it without any issue. Haven't posted pictures before - will see what I can do.

Great, thanks! I'll have to see about ordering one.

Great, thanks! I'll have to see about ordering one.

Yes, I think a worthwhile investment and seems pretty well made. Has velcro AND snaps for the main closure, as well as for the loops on the back. MOLLE compatible too it seems, and vertical or horizontal carry. I know they can be found at KaBar directly and elsewhere through your typical online vendor/auction sites.

Yes, I think a worthwhile investment and seems pretty well made. Has velcro AND snaps for the main closure, as well as for the loops on the back. MOLLE compatible too it seems, and vertical or horizontal carry. I know they can be found at KaBar directly and elsewhere through your typical online vendor/auction sites.

Ordered from Amazon this morning!

Looks like I will have to wait a couple more days. It was supposed to be here today but...
Went from the seller to USPS, then to Distribution Center #1, then to Distribution Center #2, then to Distribution Center #3, then to THE WRONG POST OFFICE (30 miles away), then back to Distribution Center #3... :confused:

Holy Moley! (Or should I say "Holy MOLLE"? ;)) This thing is fantastic! Much more robust than the Victorinox sheath. Really well built and the metal snap plus Velcro fasteners is for sure a "belt and suspenders" approach to keeping things secure. I'm wearing it in "horizontal mode" right now and it is comfortable. Fits my RG78 perfectly. In fact, there is just a bit of room in the bottom that the knife doesn't extend into (if you have one you'll know what I mean). I've replaced the toothpick on my knife with a Firefly firestarter, so I have been carrying a couple of cotton balls stuffed into the bottom of my RG78 Victorinox sheath. That little extra room in the bottom of the Ka-Bar sheath holds them as well. Thanks to beestokk beestokk for the suggestion and hope this report helps the OP out.

Holy Moley! (Or should I say "Holy MOLLE"? ;)) This thing is fantastic! Much more robust than the Victorinox sheath. Really well built and the metal snap plus Velcro fasteners is for sure a "belt and suspenders" approach to keeping things secure. I'm wearing it in "horizontal mode" right now and it is comfortable. Fits my RG78 perfectly. In fact, there is just a bit of room in the bottom that the knife doesn't extend into (if you have one you'll know what I mean). I've replaced the toothpick on my knife with a Firefly firestarter, so I have been carrying a couple of cotton balls stuffed into the bottom of my RG78 Victorinox sheath. That little extra room in the bottom of the Ka-Bar sheath holds them as well. Thanks to beestokk beestokk for the suggestion and hope this report helps the OP out.
Awesome! Very glad you're happy with it and it worked out for you! Good description and details for those searching for options. I couldn't figure out how to post pictures (tried but said picture file was too large...). Anyways, good to hear A Ace Rimmer !

Back