What Should Your First Khukuri Purchase Be?

The more I check into this forum the more interested I am in the topic of these mythical knives. I can feel myself moving toward my first purchase. My dilemma is "which one" to buy. I know I don't want a Dragon, too big; and I don't chop much (the bottom of the Christmas tree once a year). I think what I want for the first one is one that represents the best military tool.
Would like to her from you all
smile.gif

Ahhhhhh - another Khukuri so to be fan
smile.gif
. A lot of folks start off with the Service Number 1 (SN1). I started off with a Ghurka House World War (it was handless and I made my own) that I picked up for cheap money. I knew I wanted to chop stuff so I wanted the heavier one. All I can tell you is once you use one they are addictive! I picked up another Khururi (SN1) to for another handle job.

Craig Gottlieb from GH can steer you in the right direction: http://www.cystern.com/khukuri/

I went with GH because of the low cost and great value for the $, I have handled the HI products also, but they were more $. It isn't to say the HI aren't worth the $ - at the time, I didn't have the $ for a HI product. Having owned two GH products, and delt with Craig, I am more than content with the GH Khukuris and wouldn't hesitate to recommend newbies to his product line
smile.gif

Ray 'md2020'

I've been impressed with the GH posts in here, especially the responsiveness I see from Craig. I didn't want to bring up any comparisons although I was really hoping to get at that subject; thanks MD
smile.gif
I suspect this is where I'll go. By the way, SN#1 or panawal, which do you prefer?

I'm still waiting on my first Gurkha House to come in (a Bhojpure), but my first khuk was purchased about amonth ago. It was a Himalayan Imports village model from Dhankuta. It is a GREAT knife and for $60 can't be beat IMHO. Since then I have added an HI BAS (British Army Service) and a Bhojpure, so as you can see, they are addictive!

------------------
My Custom Kydex Sheath pagehttp://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Lab/1298/knifehome.html
Palmer College of Chiropractic
On Two Wheels

Jumbi,

If you don't expect to do a lot of heavy duty chopping, go for the Service #1 or the World War model first.

The Panawal is a heavy duty chopper. The SN-1 is lighter and faster (but will still chop up a car if you need it to). I own a SN-1, a Panawal and a Mini-jungle. If I had to pick only one for all around use, I'd go with the Service #1. The price, the quality, the size and the guarantee are, in a word, GREAT.

Hey Maddog,

Didn't get to mail the Leather washers yet. Car been giving me grief. Finally got the junker running, so the stuff will be in the mail on Monday morning
smile.gif

Blackdog

------------------
When the world is at peace, a gentleman keeps his sword by his side.......
Sun-Tzu 400 BC

No problem, Blackdog - I am working this weekend anyway
frown.gif
. Way behind on two HOT projects: doesn't happen that often, but we do what we have to do. I can take the time off later in the Fall and enjoy the outdoors.

I have 10 minutes between set ups
smile.gif
Thank goodness for BF!

Ray 'md2020'

Jumbi: As Cliff Stamp (I think it was him) said, the only reason everybody doesn't own a khukuri for their tool box is because not everybody knows about them. Or, if they do, they've been polluted by impressions got from cheap other-country toys that are merely shaped like khukuris. Best regards, and welcome.

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

Thanks all, I feel on the verge of joining a community here
smile.gif
Craig, I look forward to placing an order in the near future. Thanks to all for the thoughtful advice.

Back