What size are the pins in a delica 98?

I have a Delica 98 that has seen some pretty hard use and is going to be retired from daily use here pretty soon. I'm planning on taking it apart and making a dymond wood handle with 410SS liners for it. And I'll have to do some work on the blade too. Can't decide wether to try and grind away the back of the bevel until I can make it a flat grind. Or if I should just redo the blade with a hand rubbed finish. Its starting to get thick at the edge, but it still takes a good enough edge, and it won't get sharpened as often when I'm not carrying it everyday. Too bad I don't have a grinder I can do hollow grinds with.
Before I get it taken apart, I'd like to know what size the pins are, so I can have them, or at least have them ordered. I'll probably use a screw type pin for the blade, and maybe the locking bar too.Anyone know what size they are?
And just out of curiosity, if theres anyone out there that has taken one apart before, is the backspring molded into the zytel? Just wondering how hard it will be to get apart without damaging the spring.
Thanks for any help.

------------------
It'll feel better when it stops hurting.

Hi Matt. What you are planning will be difficult. The 3mm pivot pin is not easily found in a screw type rivet. The lock pivot blade will be even more difficult. A larger pivot screw will require drilling out the pivot hole in the blade. Hard to do on a hard blade without equipment.

The spring is held in place with the molded in back spacer. We cut them apart and leaved the working parts intact and visible so the knife is still operable. You might want to do that first to see what you are dealing with?

That does bring up another question that I've had for a while. I'll post as a new topic.

sal

Geez, 3mm pins
confused.gif
good thing I posted this question before I had it apart.I have no idea where to get that. I can probably get a carbide drill bit and ream out the blade pivot for an 1/8" pin. Thats just a hair bigger than 3mm if my math skills are still working. It might drill better if I go up to 3/16", depending on how much room there is.
For the locking bar I can use regular pin stock and just turn it down to the right size. I don't have a lathe, but I could probably put a piece of rod in my drill press and then use a good square sanding block to thin it down. I wouldn't have to take much off of 1/8" brass or stainless rod.
Looks like I have soem more planning to do.
Thanks Sal.

------------------
It'll feel better when it stops hurting.

Back