What Steel Holds an Edge the LONGEST?

Okay C4,

I clicked on your picture of the fish. How come it looks like you superglued them on to the picture?
Are you trying to pull one over on us?
smile.gif
And how did you get kris Kristofferson to pose for it? He looks a lot younger, but I'm sure that's him.

Jim McCullough

Tom,

Don't tempt me! I have as many fish pictures as you have pictures of knives...
smile.gif

Michael

Is that better than Mayonite, the famous steel used by Hellmann's to cut the Mayonnaise? (Not to be confused with steels used to "cut the mustard"...)

[This message has been edited by C4 (edited 12-09-2000).]

A diamond, although blade shape, size of stock available, heat treat complications and price are all challenging considerations.

Depends on what your cutting.

Carbide does real well
biggrin.gif

Talonite stellite,52100,440v,420v,3v,d2,1084,440c,ats,154,a2,15n20,L6,01,02,a6 and others are all tough blade steels.
Depends on the RC and the heat treat process.
Leave um full hard theyll cut forever and chip like all get out.
Will.... 10 v does cut for a good long while.
BUT it chips out.

Maybe the question should be which steel performs best in most all around situtations for the blade size your making?

I find the harder the are to finish the tougher and better they are for most all around use in general.

Para .. Crusible is revamping the 3v for the new year. Threre is also a new version of 420v coming out. Got um on order we'll see.

The new 420v is suppose to be the heat!

Tittie steel is good eh TIM..

CORN - FUSSSUSSS say secret projects will show new light on blade materials later in year.

------------------
Web Site At www.darrelralph.com
Happy Holidays!

[This message has been edited by Darrel Ralph (edited 12-11-2000).]

Will :

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">you'd be hard-pressed to find a steel that outlasts CPM 10V</font>

Thats rather easy - 15V. Concerning 10V, I have been discussing it with Phil Wilson and he has used a lot of it since he made the blade for me including some at 64 RC. I think that after I work with the 15V blade and discuss that with him I'll see if he can't make me one out of it and may get another out of 10V at the higher hardness and compare it to the one I have which is on the soft side at only 62.5 RC.

As you noted, geometry of course is critical, even very brittle steels are going to be durable if you make the cross sections obtuse enough. However they cut very poorly then. Personally I pick some geometry that I find has the necessary cutting ability and then get the steel that has the optimal wear resistance, strength and slicing agression at or above the required durability level.

For example for a small slicer, I don't want the edge any thicker than 0.01" at back, nor the edge angle above 15 degrees. 10V works fine for me here on cutting anything except very gritty dirty material for which I would like a small 3V or INFI blade. I have a forged (Ed Caffery) 52100 blade that is currently out on loan that may excell in this area.

-Cliff

Cliff,
The only use of 15V (within the custom knife industry) that I'm aware of was Elim's folder project. And as I'm sure you'll remember, that attempt was somewhat less than a rousing success as the blade was unable to take a keen edge. Are there instances where 15V has been used successfully that I haven't heard about?

------------------
Semper Fi

-Bill

Bronco:

[Elim's folder project]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Are there instances where 15V has been used successfully that I haven't heard about?</font>

The one one I have heard of so far was Elim's. That was the blade I was referring to in the above.

-Cliff

Tom,

I hope I have not hurt your feelings. You have been awfully quiet since my definition of Mayonite.
smile.gif
Hope I didn't hit too close to home...
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by C4 (edited 12-14-2000).]

How about a new material

1.7%Carbon
17% Chrome
8% Vanadium
8% Tungsten
8% Moly
6% Cobolt
Call it Generals Steel.

biggrin.gif

Failing that my +5 Vorpal Long sword will cut and cut and...

W.A.

------------------
"To strive to seek to find and not to yield"
Tennyson
Ranger motto

I have used a secret S125v test knife.

It is very hard to sharpen.
Almost impossible to resharpen.
Grinding it into a knife shape is also a bear.The carbide structure at the edge is not very aggressive either. No great performer on rope.

It takes a lousy edge and holds it forever, if thats what you are looking for.

------------------
"The most effective armor is to keep out of range"-Italian proverb

Anthony,
But the good side of that S125V knife is that you didn't chip it out, ground as thin as it was, even at that hardness.
Definitely in the top 2% of the toughest stuff I have ground yet. Glad it is experimental.

Back