What steel is this blade?

View

This is an old style (not a classic) with a stonewashed blade. Is the blade ATS-34 or BG-42?

Thanks!

Clay

------------------
Clay Fleischer
clay_fleischer@yahoo.com
AKTI Member A000847

As far as I am aware very few BG-42 steel models were made at the time CRK were moving on to the newer and less nice Sebi. However some were made! If you have an exact date of manufacture it aught to help a lot. The birth card also aught to tell you.

Given the odds I would guess it is 95% likely to be an ATS-34 model. But you never know!

------------------
Wayne.
"To strive to seek to find and not to yield"
Tennyson
Ranger motto

A few useful details on UK laws and some nice reviews!
http://members.aol.com/knivesuk/
Certified steel snob!

CD, unless the blade was replaced on the knife I am willing to bet that it is ATS-34. I have come across a few of the first 200 numbered new style Sebenzas that had AST-34 blades, so I believe that they changed the profile before they ran out of the ATS-34 steel stock.

------------------
James Segura
San Francisco, CA

I was under the impression that there were no stonewashed AT-34 blades (or at least very few). I wish I could cite the source for that, but I don't remember exactly. Hopefully Anne can sort this out...

Thanks for responding, guys.

Clay

------------------
Clay Fleischer
clay_fleischer@yahoo.com
AKTI Member A000847

Well I have used Nemo's ATS-34 Sebi, its stonewashed BTW.

Unless you do a anylasis on the steel, I guess it is hard to say?

More than likely ATS-34

------------------
Wayne.
Tennyson
Ranger motto

Certified steel snob!

The blade looks like the new (standard) blade. Did you purchase the knife new or did you get it on the secondary market?

If you got it new, direct from CRK, then its possible that it's a transition model, probably using up the old style handles with the new style blades, having run out of old blades before the used up all of the older style handles.

If so, that makes it an even chance that it is BG42. I don't know of any way to tell for sure.

If you got it second hand, it's possible that the previous owner sent it in for a blade change for whatever reason. If that's the case, then it's probably BG42.

------------------
Dennis Wright
Wright Knife & Sporting Goods
La Mesa, CA
1-800-400-1980
wrightknife@ixpres.com
("Have a knife day!")

Thanks for responding, all of you.

It was purchased second hand and it was reputed to be BG-42, but I don't remember from whom I bought it (it has been a few years). In fact, I had had it several years before I even realized it wasn't the newer shape.

I asked CRK to look at it when I sent it back last time, but I think that got forgotten about, which I certainly understand as busy as they are.

Functionally, I know it makes no difference, but as a knife knut, I must know
smile.gif
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------
Clay Fleischer
clay_fleischer@yahoo.com
AKTI Member A000847

How long have you had the knife in total? This will give us a rough idea if it can be a BG42 blade. It is a fairly new ish steel for CRK after all?

Perhaps Anne can clarify when the first use of this steel was.

------------------
Wayne.
Tennyson
Ranger motto

Certified steel snob!

Just looking at the picture, it is really hard to tell. The only old shape Sebenzas that have BG42 blades are those where the blade has been replaced for one reason or another. An older ATS 34 blade could have been sent in for refurbishing and been finished with the stonewash and blue thumb lug.

Even if Clay bought the knife in 1999, the original handle is quite a bit older than that and without some sort of documentation, it is hard to say. Chris could possibly tell by the feel of the cutting edge but I am not sure if you want to send it back again.

Anne

Thanks, Anne. If I send it back for any reason, I will include a note (and email you beforehand) re: the blade steel.

Thanks to all who replied.

------------------
Clay Fleischer
clay_fleischer@yahoo.com
AKTI Member A000847

Back