What the heck!

Daniel Fairly Knives

Full Time Knifemaker
Who made this?

.049" 15n20 Steel :eek::eek::eek:
Polished black paper micarta scales :eek::eek:
Solid stainless pins :eek:

It appears to be some sort of kitchen knife, maybe a camping knife... it is feather light and about a foot long, there is an exposed pommel, it could be a kitchen fighting knife. :eek:

062pw.jpg

yes, that really is the spine!
071gr.jpg

umm, where did you buy that?! I really like that thing! I need to find a source of income soon, or just stop torturing myself hanging out in your forum. I gotta get me one from you soon!

How does 15n20 hold up for kitchen use?

-Xander

umm, where did you buy that?! I really like that thing! I need to find a source of income soon, or just stop torturing myself hanging out in your forum. I gotta get me one from you soon!

How does 15n20 hold up for kitchen use?

-Xander

The bear might have made this one. Lol I need a source of income as well but this knifemaking is too fun!

The 15n20 is awesome steel for just about any knife, it is too bad it is so hard to find in thicker sizes as I could use it for just about everything.

15n20
c .75%
mn .5%
ni 2%
si .25%
fe bal

It is a high carbon steel with nickle and silicon added for toughness, great stuff. The nickle helps with corrosion also.

So far it has tested out very well in the kitchen and even for chopping old 2x4's!

The bear might have made this one. Lol I need a source of income as well but this knifemaking is too fun!

The 15n20 is awesome steel for just about any knife, it is too bad it is so hard to find in thicker sizes as I could use it for just about everything.

15n20
c .75%
mn .5%
ni 2%
si .25%
fe bal

It is a high carbon steel with nickle and silicon added for toughness, great stuff. The nickle helps with corrosion also.

So far it has tested out very well in the kitchen and even for chopping old 2x4's!

Geeze, I knew it had a bit of Nickel in it, but i didn't think it was that much. It should work excellent for a boning knife, good edge retention is paramount in a boning knife.

Where did you get it? I have several designs I want to make in either 1/16" or .060, plus it would work well for folders. I just hope I can get a band saw soon, I don't think I would want to cut it with a hacksaw.

-Xander

Geeze, I knew it had a bit of Nickel in it, but i didn't think it was that much. It should work excellent for a boning knife, good edge retention is paramount in a boning knife.

Where did you get it? I have several designs I want to make in either 1/16" or .060, plus it would work well for folders. I just hope I can get a band saw soon, I don't think I would want to cut it with a hacksaw.

-Xander

It is some tough stuff I know that! Commercial bandsaw steel! I found it tough to grind, lol I have no bandsaw so I ground the entire profile. I bet it would be an excellent boning knife steel.

I am going to make a few more kitchen knives with the 15n20 and then some other steels. :D

The first two photos make the handle look like it is finished differently, it is just the lighting... it looks more like a cross between the two, it has a nice shiny/satin look.

040qgt.jpg

046xd.jpg

053zl.jpg

Daniel,
When you made this knife did you heat treat the steel first before you put the edge on or after the edge? I am working with some band saw material like this and was wondering since it was so thin already if the heat treat would be better before.
Dan

Daniel,
When you made this knife did you heat treat the steel first before you put the edge on or after the edge? I am working with some band saw material like this and was wondering since it was so thin already if the heat treat would be better before.
Dan

I didn't bevel it at all and I'd recommend doing it that way. I actually had another one warp because a breeze picked up and hit it from the side on the way to quench, it bent just from that! Lol face north when quenching!

I am really impressed with the 15n20, it is a performer.

I ordered some A2 last night, a 2.5" tall piece of 3/32 for a chef's knife, maybe a Gyuto! I have some big quench plates just in and I am excited to try them out.

Thank you for the info. After lunch I will start at it. Have a great day. I'll let you know how it goes this evening.
Dan

Back