what to buy

The Jaguar is a good starter bali. OK blade, decent handles but crappy pins. If you repin it after using it for a while it is a pretty decent knife.

Although the Jags are a little more than $20 I wouldn't try to go any cheaper. They are great starter knives (like our green friend above already mentioned), but if you go any cheaper than that your really gonna miss out. The CCC's aren't worth much in my opinion and may not last long enough to get a good addiction going. I know when i first began with a CCC I almost lost interest until I bought a Bear MGC (not as good as Jags IMO). Fortunately, though I'm safely addicted and can never turn form the path of the balisong again.

IMO i guess i would have to say its a matter of what size handles your more comfortable with.

I have a Jag, the handles are big, and heavy, and im not all the excited about the way it flips, dont get me wrong, good knife, and great for arials because of the weight, but thats about it, not my favourite knife for finger twirls, or general flipping.

On the other hand, there is this knife here, its a CCC but I find its a very well built knife. Very smooth, the weight is good for both flipping and airiels, and its fairly solid.
kriss_silver_small.jpg

http://216.71.158.68/webcat/krissblade.html$23.95US

Just so you know, you can also get this Bali in black handles for $17.50US
http://216.71.158.68/webcat/product83.html
krissblackonsilver.jpg

I dunno, the Chrome effect just looks better :D

Its fairly similar to a BM in both weight and size, the handles are about the same size, and the weight is pretty close to that of a BM, about 1.4 ounces heavier.

If your just starting out, you might want to try the smaller handles first as i doubt you'll be wanting to do airials right of the start :), the lighter balis work for airials as well, but I find I get better control from the added weight you get from heavier handles.

Anyways, after you try both the heavy and lighter balis, you will end up prefering one over the other in time.

Laterz.

I wouldn't recommend those "Classics". Despite Zilla's claims, I wouldn't classify them as "Great Starting Knives", (But hey, he's got to say something about them). To trash the knife a little, those were the worst bali's I ever handled. The first one I played with came lose and wobbley in under 10 minutes! There were no obvious falts with the knife.. it was just that poorly built. You couldn't tighten it without it rubbing when closing.

Compared to a Jag the blade is incredably thin. I'd say twice as thin.. though maybe not that bad. They rattle and fall apart very easily. The Tang pins appear as if they're randomly assembled. Sometimes not evenly spread between top/bottom of the blade.. sometimes squished sideways, etc. The Pivot pins also aren't so great.. nor is the way they're lined up. When locking the knife open, it's rare it does so evenly.. usually the knife is too far forward, or back, (like the blade is "slouching"). The two handle bottoms when open aren't often flat, they're coming together at angles.

I'm not saying they're all like that.. you might find one that's nicely built.. but I've never seen one without some major fault to it.

The repinning tip on Clay's site can sometimes make it a competant bali, but only if you do it immediately. Otherwise the material on tang of the blade rubs off with use and rounds the surface between the blade and handles.

Just go with the Jag. They're incredably cheap for how much of a knife you get out of them, (pins aside).. especially when you put any other CCC next to 'em.

That's what I've found anyways. Skip it and spend a couple bucks extra on the Jag. It's not like you're deciding between a BM and a Tachyon.

yes cos they have the cheapest shipping costs to australia i think its 6 dollares but im not sure if balis are classiffied as a folder:confused: so yeah

Hell-Spawn;

Ah, okay.

Mm, IIRC, balis are _extremely_ illegal in Australia, something like jail time, a fine, and the thing gets melted down, if you're caught possessing one (in your house, on your property, in your trouser pocket, etc.). But, a friend of mine in Australia related that most police officers won't hassle anyone about their belongings unless they find a belonging sticking out of someone's chest.

welll thay are illegal i thought they would be most things seem to be in this stupid little country i live in i think ill just end up getting one of those jaguar trainers they look quite good and there not to expensive although i would love to get my hands on a 40t

I picture people in Australia running around with 14 inch bowies butchering wild aminals in the outback. Kind of surprising (at least to me) that balis are illegal there.

yeah australia is quite screwed when it comes to anything that can kill its like if you own it your gonna kill someone with it your only alowed small caliber rifles to and you have to have a licence for them as well. i donmt think your actually alowd to carry a weopon on you which is fuct cos its not gonna stop someone who might want to hust you from doing it but it will stop most people so when someone comes along and pulls a knive on you your in the deep end so yeah btu that aint gonna stop me

What would you expect from a land colonized by criminals;) ...no just kidding. I never really pictured Aus. like that either. I'd just try emailing one of your local government officals and ask.

Back