What to do about chipped handle

So, I got this balance knife by Kumar a couple of weeks ago. When I pulled it out of the packaging I noticed a small chip at the base of the handle but was not too worried about it. Now that I have used it a few times, it really rubs my pinky finger wrong when using it. What can I do? I really love every other aspect of this blade; the shape, size and weight of it is exactly what I was looking for. Here are a couple pictures of what I am talking about:
20140704_174600_zpsldy1m8lg.jpg

20140704_174535_zps4uopcbey.jpg

If it were mine I'd look at two options. #1 would be drill a tiny hole in the wood and rough up the metal and fill it with acraglas.
#2 would be break out the file or even a grinder and round that point of the handle off. Make the metal meet the low point of the wood. In the picture it doesn't look like it would take alot or badly effect the over all look and feel.
Option #2 is more of a sure thing but I think #1 would work too if you get some traction/something for the acraglas to grab onto.

Actually in pondering there's also a 3rd option. Write it off as a total loss and send it to me. I'll give it a good home and I've been hankering for a balance knife.
Not a great option for you but awesome for me.

LOL @ Bawanna! That last option seems to favor a certain someone... ;) If I were you Aperdue, I'd just put a little of resin or epoxy to fill the gap, idk what the ideal types or brands are, but I would make sure whatever you use can be painted/dyed to a natural wood color. With a spot that small, I don't think anyone would be able to see the spot

Mix up a small batch of JB weld epoxy and apply. May take a couple of applications to fill completely, then sand flush. Permanent repair. Bawanna is on track but JB weld may be more readily available locally.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I have some 2 part epoxy ( loc-tite I believe). Do yall think that would work?

I do but you have to clean it well with acetone or alcohol first or it will just fall out once you start chopping. Might still fall out but then again its a quick cheap fix that might last forever. Worth a try. Ideally some fiber for strength in the mix and wood dust to match color would be best but for a quick fix try to squeeze the epoxy in the cracks around while you fill it and that will help it stay put.
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I have some 2 part epoxy ( loc-tite I believe). Do yall think that would work?

I say fill it in with a big glob of epoxy and then file it down smooth. No big deal. :thumbup:

The best way to fix this would be to find some dark wood similar in color. The closer it is, the better.
Make a small pile of sanding dust.
Mix dust into 2 part clear epoxy.
Apply to chip. Overfill to cover shrinkage from curing.
Sand flush with the rest of the handle and buff out repair.

That was my thinking on the tiny holes drilled. Give a place for the epoxy sawdust mix to get into and create a mechanical lock so to speak.

I agree with the others who said, Fixing it with epoxy is the way to go. :) I've done this a few times with horn handled Khukri's with great success.

Bawanna has the right idea ~~ drill a few small holes right into where it is chipped and when you put the Epoxy Saw-Dust mix in there be sure that some goes into the holes and then heat just a bit and try to leave it alone as long as you can so that it has plenty of time to set up really good and boolah ~~ should feel good to the hand again.!!**

Back