What to do for a 12 year old who says she wants a "sword"?

+1 on this. The Deed of Paksenarrion was an excellent tale, IMO. One of the best in the genre of "girl who becomes a famous and wonderful knight," if there is such a thing. Most of the others that I like the most in that general vein are sci-fi, such as Path of the Fury, and the Honor Harrington series, I think both by David Weber. I also like Mike Shepherd's work with Kris Longknife. She's a fun character. But Paks is pretty special.

Blackbrit, you can see a few of my blades on here in this section. I did a gladius build that's on here, a modern niuweidao-styled design, and a sword based on Tam's heronmark blade from the Wheel of Time, by Robert Jordan, among others. You can also check out my photobucket. Thanks for your interest. My blades are nowhere near the quality level of folks like Stuart Branson, Scott Roush, or, one of my favorite makers, Dan Keffeler. But I do have fun making them, and they fit my purposes.

Thanks again on the books. Wonderful! :D

Still learning to search the forum so am sort of dawdling along on my excursion into your art. But I'll get there! :)

Here is some basic information for sword shoppers.

There are two kinds of swords; thrusting and cutting. For thrusting think rapier, small sword, gladius. For cutting think cavalry saber, sailor’s cutlass, cruciform knight’s sword.

A thrusting sword will balance near the guard. A cutting sword will balance a quarter of the way down the blade. If your new saber balances at the basket hilt, be suspicious.

Sherwood Smith’s books are another mixed bag. I recommend Coronets and Steel and Blood Spirits.

They are set in a modern day Ruritania.

Where the internet doesn’t work.

Because of the magic.

Told by a sword swinging heroine.

From California.

Here is some basic information for sword shoppers.

There are two kinds of swords; thrusting and cutting. For thrusting think rapier, small sword, gladius. For cutting think cavalry saber, sailor’s cutlass, cruciform knight’s sword.

A thrusting sword will balance near the guard. A cutting sword will balance a quarter of the way down the blade. If your new saber balances at the basket hilt, be suspicious.

Sherwood Smith’s books are another mixed bag. I recommend Coronets and Steel and Blood Spirits.

They are set in a modern day Ruritania.

Where the internet doesn’t work.

Because of the magic.

Told by a sword swinging heroine.

From California.

Here I am again, thanking you for the education. What great info for someone like me. I've been wondering about things like balance points (I'm very fond of my kitchen knives, but hey, they aren't swords, and the balance has to be totally different.) And now I know a little more. Yay! :D

I think we will be visiting modern day Ruritania one day soon. My girl has wondered if we should experiment with turning off our internet one day a week so we can live more like they did in the "old times." :cool:

Nobody’s responded to your question about fowling with nets. It was practiced by the Pharaonic Egyptians. It was certainly done when knighthood was in flower.

Check out these sixteenth century etchings of fowling, with a Victorian discussion. http://www.elfinspell.com/England/PallMallMag/Vol13-1897/Baillie-Grohman-FowlingInBygoneDays.html

The high status method of bird hunting was by hawking. There were sumptuary laws limiting the use of higher status birds to higher status nobles.

One version of falconry was called daring. It’s not as adventurous as it sounds. It meant flying hawks above a field of dove, woodcock, whatever. The hawks were daring the doves to fly. The doves hugged the ground. That kept them in reach of dogs, or men with drag nets, who captured a bait of birds.

While we’re off the subject…did you know we have an Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Scythes But Were Afraid To Ask thread? http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/884115-Who-else-uses-a-scythe

Nobody’s responded to your question about fowling with nets. It was practiced by the Pharaonic Egyptians. It was certainly done when knighthood was in flower.

Check out these sixteenth century etchings of fowling, with a Victorian discussion. http://www.elfinspell.com/England/PallMallMag/Vol13-1897/Baillie-Grohman-FowlingInBygoneDays.html

The high status method of bird hunting was by hawking. There were sumptuary laws limiting the use of higher status birds to higher status nobles.

One version of falconry was called daring. It’s not as adventurous as it sounds. It meant flying hawks above a field of dove, woodcock, whatever. The hawks were daring the doves to fly. The doves hugged the ground. That kept them in reach of dogs, or men with drag nets, who captured a bait of birds.

I know; off topic, but thanks so much. Your response gives me some (better) ideas for some more reading. :D

While we’re off the subject…did you know we have an Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Scythes But Were Afraid To Ask thread? http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/884115-Who-else-uses-a-scythe

That's the first thread I ever posted in on BF! Love it. It came up in a search engine while I was reading some of the experts elsewhere. (And I have saved the thread. I'm especially fascinated by making my own snaths and am collecting "wild wood" to make a couple. Some incredible info in the thread. I'm kind of a lurker over there, but I do use my scythe and love it! My Stihl strimmer has gone silent! :) )

Well, if semi to full powered sparring as well as realistic handling is in order with at least a decent modicum of safety, why not try out a padded waster/practice sword?
Here are a couple of links for DIYers. Of course, cheap foam swords are also available...

http://www.thearma.org/Practice/2ndGen1.htm#.VJE02yvF_QA

http://anomaly.org/wade/paddedsword/index.html

Lancelot over in Hong Kong ( www.rsw.com.hk ) makes some wicked wasters, although of course, the high shipping cost and the fact that any padded waster you buy or make will have a certain life expectancy and certain "tricks" to simulating a sword. For example, baby oil applied to blade to avoid sticking and allowing the "blades" to slide on contact which allows for some pretty neat tricks (like blocking and slipping around the blade to "slice" the forearm, etc).

For the money, I really like my wooden "aikido-style" bokken from SDK Supplies in Canada. No point so nominally safer but of course it is still a relatively weighty piece of HARDWOOD so potentially quite dangerous, just less so than a sharp or dulled steel/metal blade.

I was training a fighter. She had been working with Paul of Belatrix—at that time the kingdom’s premiere swordsman. Bolverk: “Paul says my sword is too long for me.”

Me: “Paul is right. Let’s fix it.” I looked her over. Looked at the sword. Grabbed a handsaw.

Bolverk: “Hey, wait! No, no, no…”

I shortened her weapon. “Try that.”

Bolverk swung it around. She beat it against the pell: “Hey! This is great…But…Paul said my blade should be twenty-eight inches long.” I handed her a tape measure. Her blade was twenty-eight inches long.

I don’t tell this story to boast. I’m pointing out that an SCA tourney sword is precision tool. Anybody can grab a loaner sword and practice. A knight’s personal sword will be shaped to his hand. Including a grip shaped to his hand.

We don’t use rattan by chance. Rattan has enough flex to make it safer than wood. Say a blow with a bokken breaks ribs. The same blow with a similar tourney sword leaves a bruise. When a tourney sword breaks, it doesn’t send splinters flying. The broken end stays taped to the forte.

Contact the Seneschal or Marshal of your local SCA chapter. Ask who makes good tourney swords, and would he teach you? You can buy combat safe basket hilts. I recommend them. It’s an easy step towards a good balance. Warding off broken hands is a happy coincidence. Once your girl has chosen a good sword, make a brace of tourney swords that feel close to the live steel. (To slow-motion practice with someone, that’s why.)

Back off topic: Your girl is interested in the good old times. Show her some good old movies. Swashbucklers like Errol Flynn in Captain Blood and The Adventures of Robin Hood. Douglas Fairbanks Jr. in The Corsican Brothers and The Prisoner of Zenda. (Speaking of Ruritania).

This thread seems to be wandering .Anyway daughters who like swords may turn out like Sylwia Gruchala .Fine Olympic fencer , mother, military officer ,model .

Back