What to do with a stack of Playboys

Please keep this out of Wine and Cheese - I offered to help a coworker clean out her bother's place after he had to move out of state, and was offered the stacks of Playboys that he had, as compensation. (coworker is the wife's best friend, so no payment was needed) The teenage boy in me started drooling, then the adult took over and thought about profit... But checking Craigslist, people can't sell them for hardly anything.

So, I was gonna flip through them and toss them in the recycle bin. I've looked at a couple and...well, they're kinda boring.

Any ideas besides the recycle bin? There's 5-6 boxes, maybe 250/300 mostly from the 90's and up. There was one from the 50's but I'm gonna set that one aside.

See how sharp your knives are.

I stack magazines/phonebooks and corner cut them all the way down.

just.for fun. Also to see if my polishing has good retention.

Whatever you do, don't pack them in your luggage for a flight to Saudi Arabia.

I say sell them. I would be shocked if you could not get at least $50 for the lot. Then take your wife out to dinner. Or...

Take them to some place like Bookman's and sell them there. They will give you a store credit, which you can then use to go buy a few good knife books.

Last edited:
Call me a germ freak, but I'd rather stare at the wall in a doctor's waiting room than flip through their public magazines. No telling what people were touching before they flipped though them.
Now the magazines you have... I wouldn't want anything to do with them!

Cool that you snagged one from the '50s though. I would keep that one and trash the rest.

Put them for your next garage sale, and sell them as a lot. Or....... save them and then give them to a friend that helps you move:thumbup:

Check your area for a magazine exchange. Some exchanges are run by public libraries, some by not-for-profit recycling centers. We have one of the later here with a drop-off site in my neighborhood. Drop-offs are sorted into metal, glass, packaging paper and communication paper. Communication paper is mostly newspapers and magazines, and you can take what you want if you bring in something for recycling. This is a way to give Playboy to someone who enjoys it, and get another magazine with no resale value in exchange — New Yorker, National Geographic, The Nation, etc.

Save them til Halloween and then hand them out.....just kidding!

I would pitch them but recycle! :)

I had a twenty year collection that I put on ebay
and got $500.00. Now mind you I had every issue
for the twenty years and all in new condition.

1. Burn them
2. Shoot them
3. Trash them
4. Cut them
5. Donate them to a local preschool

Just a few suggestions...

american-pickers.jpg

Simple. Go to a college party (a big one) stand on the balcony, throw em off. You'll be loved by every human Male on that campus for many years to come. :thumbup:

Magazines are all but worthless. When we cleaned out my late grandmother's house, we found every Readers Digest back to the 30s as I recall, a similar collection of Time and National Geographic, complete sets and in good condition. Excited at our fine, we called a dealer and were told that Reader's Digest is worthless. A few specific issues of Time and Nat. Geo. may be worth a few dollars each if they are in perfect condition. Well, while good, none of ours were perfect. The local library turned us down; it's all on microfilm or online, so they don't want paper copies anymore.

I suspect that Playboy is much the same; a few specific issues may be worth a few dollars depending on condition.

Apart from the first issue, with Marlyn Monroe, none are really worth any significant amount. Really old ones might fetch a few bucks each, with a specific issue here and there that might be worth a few more because of a particular female featured, celeb interviewed, or other article/story. The problem is that most people kept their Playboys, so even old issues aren't all that uncommon.

check them for ads that are worthy of framing.

I had several from the 60s that had cool muscle car ads in them -

best

mqqn

Back