What to expect from K9 Knives?

Daniel Koster

www.kosterknives.com
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
The concept behind K9 Knives has been kicking around our heads for some time...we've been refining the idea, the mission, and our goals for this company.

We didn't want to just create another production company...or merely a "2 guys knives" shop...but something new, something different.

Since the beginning, one goal we've had has been to create some new and interesting designs and offer them in the highest performance materials available.

Not the most expensive, nor the cheapest....not the fanciest, nor the most plain....Performance First.

This same mentality has been applied to the designs as well - what can we do with accepted and common designs to make them high-performance, yet distinctive.

We've chosen as our motto:

No Bark, All Bite!

...to reflect what we have put into the knives, as well as what you can expect.

These first few runs are going to technically be mid-tech productions. That is, Tom and I will finish out the handles ourselves, and every thing else will be automated.

With time, some momentum and a little luck, we'll grow this into a full production company, with a "custom shop" on the side.

Why K9?

Tom and I are big fans of Dogs....more specifically, dogs that WORK. For example, German shephards - these are athletic dogs that are friendly, yet ferocious when needed. They are "No Frills". Consider the pit bull - it will literally work itself past exhaustion accomplishing its task. Any dog that does work is a performance dog...they are truly Performance First.

We want to publicly thank Bladeforums.com for carving us out a spot here to build our Den. :thumbup:

What's different about K9 Knives compared to other production companies?

At the heart of K9 Knives is the work ethic, creative talent, and years of experience of two custom knifemakers who will be continuing their own lines of knives.

This combination of skills and integration of talents will help keep K9 Knives dynamic and performance oriented.

K9 Knives is not a face-less entity, disconnected from its customer base...nor is it a one-man-show, self-feeding and egocentric.

We are committed to providing the best service, the sharpest blades, the best designs and highest performance.

There might be a few bugs to work out on this first run...but anyone who has ordered a custom knife from either Tom or I knows that we will set things right. :thumbup:

Thanks!

Dan

Good post Dan! That sums thing up nicely! :thumbup:

Here is my take...

One of the big reasons why I have wanted to start up K9 Knives is that I am a small shop. If I don't finish a knife it doesn't get finished! That means there are a very limited number of knives that I can send out. For several years I have wanted to get more quality knives to the working guys/gals out there that protect us and our rights! Those people include the soldiers here and abroad, the police officers, the ems personnel, the fire/rescue teams, the game wardens, and the list literally goes on and on.... With K9 Knives I now have a way to get more knives out there WITHOUT compromising the QUALITY!

When Dan and I are designing knives for K9 we are thinking of those working people with each and every knife we design. We are committed to build the highest performance working knives out there! We will NOT cut corners on these knives. Why, simply because we want you to be able to depend on them without hesitation!

Our designs are not going to be FLASHY or TRICK, they are going to be simple and straight forward working knives, where form follows function. Sure I think they are going to look good, but NOT at the expense of performance!!

We have chosen CPM 3V to use as our main steel! WHY? Because we feel it is one of the BEST steels out there for using knives! It takes and holds a FANTASTIC edge, sharpens relatively easy and has enough chromium in it to make it stain resistant. It is not STAINLESS, but we feel its other properties more than offset this. Oh... did I mention it is TOUGH! It is crazy strong!

Paul Bos is going to be doing our heat treatment. Paul is one of the best in the industry and has state of the art equipment. Paul does all my personal heat treating and I have come to trust his work!

Like Dan I am really excited about K9 Knives! We have 7-8 more designs already finished up! Watch for some really cool knives in the near future!

Thanks for your support!

Tom

at this point in the game, the current plan is to release them one at a time. :thumbup:

There are a lot of us that would love to see a 3V folder. ( or cruware or CPM M4). Daniel and Tom are well known, respected makers. It's going to be fun seeing what comes out of this. Good luck, and I'll begin saving money. Joe

BTW, don't underestimate mastiffs. They're dogs but have a bit of lion in them. Mine is 34inches tall at hips, neck is 34 inches around and I had to have his collar custom made. Around 210-220 lbs and no where near a record sized male mastiff. K9 indeed!

Dang. I can't wait to see y'alls line. Maybe I'll move up there and sleep in a ditch nearby until you conceed to hiring me as a grunt...

Mastiff....we gotcha covered, dawg. :D :p :p

No ditches in Gentry...:D :p :p

But we got a pile of cardboard boxes you can "build a fort" out of....:D :D :D

Ya know...that was one of my favorite things to do as a kid....ya know...?

I took Hannah into the woods on the property and we built a fort. She seemed bored at first, but then you couldn't get her out of it. She kept dragging the elderly relatives out there to hang out...

I need a K9..........:D I love the working dog analogy. I can't wait to get one and somehow integrate it into my avatar!

Any idea on when they will be on the market? I may have found my next knife:thumbup: Tom, I sent you a PM on one your other board, but you can disregard now that K9 has surfaced.

Cerberus:cool:

We are looking at having the first run done in 2 months time - may need 3-4 weeks more...we'll see. :thumbup:

Great avatar!

I have an unsolicited suggestion. Why not name your K9 designs after particular dogs, not breeds, but individual dogs that reflect the qualities that inspire you? Maybe your own dogs, maybe famous dogs, maybe fictional dogs. It would give a design individual personality and would make it easier for crazy customers to talk to their knives. I want my K9 to be named Pluto.

Or, you could simply name each knife, and provide a birth certificate with the name and litter date. Take this dog thing all the way.

Good luck with the new company.

I have an unsolicited suggestion. Why not name your K9 designs after particular dogs, not breeds, but individual dogs that reflect the qualities that inspire you? Maybe your own dogs, maybe famous dogs, maybe fictional dogs. It would give a design individual personality and would make it easier for crazy customers to talk to their knives. I want my K9 to be named Pluto.

Or, you could simply name each knife, and provide a birth certificate with the name and litter date. Take this dog thing all the way.

Good luck with the new company.

Thanks for the idea!

I think naming each knife and providing a birth certificate would probably be too much work for the two of us, but that doesn't mean you can't name your knife like the faithful companion it is going to be!

We are still working on the name for this first knife, but we want all of the knife names to be dog related.

Tom

Looks good guys!!!

Like the water cutting you use

Back