What to feed adopted cat?

Point44 said:
Originally cats were designed to eat like this but really because of evolution and breeding it's not really the case anymore. Take for example the persian. They cannot survive on their own. They have to be fed and no longer have the instinct for hunting. It really depends on the breed of cat. My friends cat won't even eat food that's not mashed up for them.

I don't believe cats are genetically much different these days than they were 50 or 75 years ago, when *nobody* fed cats cat "food". The genetic differences are very, very small.

Cats are designed to eat what they have eaten for millenia: whole rodents, birds, etc.

It may well be that a cat has gotten used to cat "food", and that a transition period will be needed. Their digestive systems have become messed up by their eating the garbage people feed to them. But some transition period where they are fed a combination diet will help them over this to a totally natural diet.

And what does diet have to do with fleas? I thought animals got fleas from the places they went to. So a total house cat has less chance of getting fleas than a cat living in the streets.

I have researched ranchers raising free range beef, and it is a fact that some cattle attract a lot of flies while others do not. You would think that all cattle attract lots of flies, but this is not the case at all.

I believe that diet assists cats and dogs in resisting fleas and making their coats and bodies less hospitable to these vermin. That's all I can say, I don't know why, but it is a frequent experience of people who feed their animals a BARF diet that their animals no longer attract fleas and therefore flea treatments are unnecessary.

Point44 said:
MY STRAY CATS ARE LIKE THAT TOO!!!

...They even steal other cats' food. Plus they keep begging for food at non-meal times.

Damn fatso cats.

One of ours siddles up when you're eating and gently taps you on the leg with a paw ("Hey! Now would ge good."). Two of the others sit there and cry ("I am TOO starving, and you don't care!"). This requires "tough love" or it would get worse.

Back