What to take

Ok my family and i are going on a 2 week trip to the beach. Which would be a better knife for the beach Becker bk2/cold steel recon scout/or becker bk7...

If you guy's could possibly reply for which one would be the best that would help me alot.

Thanks, outdoorskid92

what exactly are you doing on a beach that requires such a large knife. you should be careful carrying large blades in public/non-camping environment, popo arent really happy when people walk around with those for no reason. check the local laws.

what exactly are you doing on a beach that requires such a large knife. you should be careful carrying large blades in public/non-camping environment, popo arent really happy when people walk around with those for no reason. check the local laws.

gdeno makes a good point. I wonder how a large knife would be useful in that environment as well. Also, you have to keep in mind that 2 weeks around a saltwater environment might be rough on the steel of all of the blades you mention. The knives you mention are ones that are great for chopping, prepping game and processing wood. I live in SoCal, so the beaches around me might be different than around you, but there are not many wooded areas around my beaches that would make much use of any of the large knives you list.

You're going to be around sand, saltwater and fish. If you plan on fishing on the beach, I don't think any of those knives are well suited to cleaning fish.

Some more info about your area and intentions would really help answer your question properly, but as it stands, I would not recommend any of the knives on your list.

Were going to nags head and were doing alot of things but i need it to gut fish to whiddle and things like that....

For what you're talking about, I think I'd just go with a simple little BK-13. It's small enough to be non threatening, it will do the things you've mentioned, it's stainless, and it only costs about $17.

For what you're talking about, it's probably ideal.

I'd grab a stainless Mora. The 546 or 946. But, in the spirit of this forum, Dawsonbob seems to be on the right track. A BK13 would do you fine.

I agree with gdeno and Dawsonbob. Something big could easily frighten the sheeple, and the LEO's could frown on that. No sense in bringing any unwanted attention to yourself. Go smaller in this scenario!! just my .02...

ok i'll pick one up $17 is nothing compared to the $215 recon scout

For what you want to do, I think you'll be much happier with the BK-13 than you would with the Recon Scout. Not only is the Recon Scout more than ten times more expensive, but it would be a poor choice for the things you mentioned. The BK-13 will do all that you ask, won't rust in the salt air (remember to wipe it down), should clean fish easily, can whittle, and is easy to clean. The fact that it's far, far less threatening is a very good thing, too.

Have fun on your trip. Let us know what you think of the BK-13, and take pics.

the only recommendation I have is take something stainless and lose-able.

the victorinox/wenger bayonet @ cheaper than dirt for 20$ is a perfect example.

course, the BK77 is stainless too, and will gut some fish and laugh at salt water... pricey though...

the BK11 would be good too, even the san-mai version, that should take on a nice patina after a few fish guts and salt hit it.

Bladite

yea really.. and i leave on july third through the twentieth so i got time and yes we rented the house... :p can't wait and yes i will try to bring my laptop

so i can be on this at night :p

lol yes i love you guys u guys crack me up sometimes...

Back