What torch for outdoors/camping?

Let me start by saying I know very little about led torches so it's hard for me to form an opinion on quality, use etc. I currently have a petzel head lamp with four different settings which is just fine for sitting around at camp, reading in the hammock after dark etc. But I'm after a good quality, generally smallish/lightish torch for when I need real illumination and lots of it. Cost, well it's all relative - if you think it's worth investing in something that's expensive then fire away but you'll have to educate me I'm afraid too.

Any pointers?

Tiki torch

Tiki-Torches.jpg

:p

I recommend HDS lights. Prices from $100-200+ for some fancy models. I have a high CRI model. Durable, bright and natural light, nice aesthetics, and the best UI I have found on a light.

Popular alternatives:
-Surefire: expensive but good quality and warranty. Beam patterns on their LED lights tended to be narrow spots from my experience and I prefer more flood.
-Fenix/Quark (from 4sevens): lots of light for the money but not very heavily constructed. I think they are durable enough for most uses. I personally dont like how they look but there are some nice models.

There are also lots of other boutique style lights out there (Nitecore, Jetbeam, Eagletac, etc) and you can find more info at candlepowerforums.com. The main difference between all these lights is their appearance and user interface (UI). At night in a poorly lit area, anything above 60 lumens will be bright enough but more is always fun.

for hiking and backpacking I find a headlamp more useful than a hand held light

for ul backpacking I carry a 1 oz Petzel e-lite (16 lumens), when I think there is a better than fair chance of hiking in the dark then I use something in the 50-70 lumen range- currently a Princeton EOS- I've found that more than sufficient for not hiking (along w/ reasonable burn times) w/ batteries (3 AAA) under 4 oz

I know that Fenix and Zebralight both have some high output headlamps if your looking for more throw

for hiking and backpacking I find a headlamp more useful than a hand held light

for ul backpacking I carry a 1 oz Petzel e-lite (16 lumens), when I think there is a better than fair chance of hiking in the dark then I use something in the 50-70 lumen range- currently a Princeton EOS- I've found that more than sufficient for not hiking (along w/ reasonable burn times) w/ batteries (3 AAA) under 4 oz

I know that Fenix and Zebralight both have some high output headlamps if your looking for more throw

+1 on using a headlamp more often than a flashlight in the woods. For 3xAAA the PT EOS is the best hands down in my view. I also have a Fenix HL20 and ZL H501w both rock and use 1XAA. The Fenix LD20 and LD10 are good lights also using AAs (the same as my GP etc etc etc). SF has some great CR123 lights as well.

Get the new Surefire G2 XL Pro or whatever it's called. I'm fairly certain you'll be more than a little impressed. It will put your headlamp to shame.

H/C, I would have to agree with dttomcat on the Surefire G2X Pro LED. My brother-in-law received one for Christmas, and it is a beast. 15 lumens on the low setting & 200 lumens on high, & it is only about 5" in length. Great handheld light.
I bought 2 of the Kriana Krill Extreme LED "torches" last year for camping, one 180* model & one of the 360* models. The 360* will light up an area probably 40'-50' diameter, & the 180* was enough to light up our table to read & cook dinner from about 15' away. They come in several different light colors & have a chart on their website explaining the differences.
Hope this helps a little, good luck with your search.
Be safe.

I use my Surefire 6P Bored for 18650 rechargeable batteries and hard anodized by Oveready.com with a Malkoff M61 warm drop in. I find the beam ideal for the woods, perfect balance between throw and flood. Did you know wolf spider eyes reflect light? 18650 batteries really extend the run time.

There are a lot of good lights, I like the ones better that take standard batteries, AA or AAA size, just my opinion.

I too prefer a headlamp, but like a small powerful light for a backup/bright beam. I used to have something that looked like a Princeton Tec Blast. For a small/simple light it puts out a good beam for a cheap price. But it won't last long, probably a couple of hours on two AAA. Princeton Tec makes a few others that are small/light at reasonable prices.

I also looked at a Maglite XL50. Looks like it packs a great beam and will last around 30hrs. Runs around $32.00.

Sorry, but I just can't justify spending $100 or $200 on a flashlight. If its used for a tactical SWAT team YES, for a backpacking flashlight NO.

I use the Surefire G2LED but might start looking for a new G2X now. I like the dual levels especially when I get back to a tent with family already sleeping. I usually stay up later than the wife and kid :)

Thanks guys - a question on batteries: do any high performance torches use rechargeable cells?

Fenix makes a hella nice LED torch. I carry a AA one and the Petzl Elite. Theyve served well for quite a while(2 yrs so far). When in the woods, the headlamp is king. Although I do use the Fenix too. My Fenix sees EDC in my bag, as well as ambulance duty. Hasnt failed me yet, and with lithuim AAs, it runs forever. The strobe function is awesome for frog giggin too. lol

The petzl Elite. Im sold on it. No frill, super light, and has been durable so far. I love the case it comes in. Zebralights kick butt too.

Thanks guys - a question on batteries: do any high performance torches use rechargeable cells?

if you use an AA flashlight, NiMH rechargables actually run much longer than alklines! If you get a123A style light, make sure it can take the higher voltages of rechargable RCR123A's (3v vs. 4.2v). AW makes the best RCR123A's by far.

Zebralight makes excellent headlamps. I love my H51, and it runs perfectly on an RCR123A.

for camping or outdoors you don't need a lot of light. Runtime is much more important.

A simple ARC AAA does it for me.....built like a tank,small, long runtime, runs on common aaa battery, decent brightness, and a great reputation.....made in the usa too!

if you use an AA flashlight, NiMH rechargables actually run much longer than alklines! If you get a123A style light, make sure it can take the higher voltages of rechargable RCR123A's (3v vs. 4.2v). AW makes the best RCR123A's by far.

Zebralight makes excellent headlamps. I love my H51, and it runs perfectly on an RCR123A.

The OP should take a look at these.

http://www.eneloop.info/

for camping or outdoors you don't need a lot of light. Runtime is much more important.

I prefer both a lot of light and runtime. We go barefoot in camp and I like to SEE. One night I lit up a herd of flying squirrels jumping out of a tree, over and over. It was also colorl correct due to the Warm tint of the beam.

I prefer both a lot of light and runtime. We go barefoot in camp and I like to SEE. One night I lit up a herd of flying squirrels jumping out of a tree, over and over. It was also colorl correct due to the Warm tint of the beam.

To each there own.....it all depends what you are using the light for.

I used to use very bright flashlights, but I have found it very unnecessary in a dark area with little light pollution.You be surprised how far 15 lumens goes in remote area's.

I also found bright light destroys your night vision after you turn the light off and can take up to a half hour for your eyes to recover

I just thought I share my experience

Running on AA batteraes makes sense to me...readily available, decent performance. (Eneloops for normal, a couple Lithiums in the backpack)

Variable brightness is key. a solid 100-200 lumens will light stuff 50 yards away...
But ~5 is great when away from town lights. ~5 ~50 ~Max would be a pretty good set of brightness levels IMHO.

I have an iTP C7 and a c8 now. i'm fairly happy with them, but find myself drawn to the Four Sevens Quark 2 AA model.

Back