What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Carving club
VoXD5ck.jpg

Canoes of the Week are an amber jigged bone Rough Rider (the first canoe I ever handled and the one that got me hooked on the pattern) and a jigged bone Buck (thanks, Clay):

- GT
Those canoes should get you to the "sea of tranquility" nicely Gary.👍🏻

My first knife came home ! :oops:

A Case USA no dots (1965-69) XX red bone model 6332 medium stockman was my first knife, back around 1965 or 1966. I remember buying it at the hardware store, in my little town ..... I was around 11 or 12 years old. The hardware store was my last customer on my daily paper route ..... via bicycle.

I parted with my paper route earnings to obtain the red bone ( leaning towards a pretty shade of reddish brown ) medium stockman. I toted the stockman every day, loose in my pockets, until it went missing when I was around seventeen years old. I replaced it with a Case XX Sodbuster, which eventually went missing as well. Those were my first two knives and the last two knives which I ever lost. They may have not even been lost, considering my older brother also had a keen interest in Case knives. ;)

I'll fast forward you to early this week when this user medium stockman came up on our exchange. I kept going back to it, looking again and again, wondering why it was still there. It didn't dawn on me at the time that the 6332 was from the same era and the exact model of my first lost (saying it nicely ;)) knife. After looking at least six different times ....... I had to say "I'll take it".

After opening the package yesterday, it took me all of thirty seconds for the light bulb to come on. 💡 It was almost as if my long lost Case had found its way home. A prettier shade of red than my original stockman, but, there was no doubt, after handling that old familiar pattern.🦖😊 I cleaned the bone and rubbed on it till I was satisfied, then did some blade cleaning ...... just enough to look a little better before adding a patina to them. My original one had gray patina on all blades and I came close to duplicating it with my forced patina.

Well ..... to say I'm pleased is an under statement ...... I'm back to long britches since it turned cold today ............... so in my watch pocket it went. I hope you like it too. 😊

View attachment 2555089

View attachment 2555090
Very satisfying read of a very satisfying story :) The luck & fortune of the Knife gods has shone upon you, it's a grand CASE pattern and as ever, I'm deeply impressed by your restoration skills . Your pictures make every knife a gem.

Thanks, Will

Last edited:
Mission Motorsport (a Army charity) offered me a ticket to the Bicester Scramble today.

Not Many motorbikes at all but I still enjoyed it,I can appreciate the old cars.

In particular I love old Pickups.

I also came across an elite tier one army unit. 😁

That is WW2 re enactors,I joke but actually I learnt quite a lot from one old chap in particular and found it very interesting.

I can now prime a Mills grenade and know how a Thomson submachine gun drum magazine works (big wind up spring) and why the 50 round drum wasnt popular and the 100 round drum even less so.😇

I repaid him by telling him a few old (boring) storys of my service and carring a rebored 7.62 Bren gun around in the field. 😅

Tool of choice one of my favourite barlows which I gave a little sharpen last night.

Mission Motorsport (a Army charity) offered me a ticket to the Bicester Scramble today.

Not Many motorbikes at all but I still enjoyed it,I can appreciate the old cars.

In particular I love old Pickups.

I also came across an elite tier one army unit. 😁

That is WW2 re enactors,I joke but actually I learnt quite a lot from one old chap in particular and found it very interesting.

I can now prime a Mills grenade and know how a Thomson submachine gun drum magazine works (big wind up spring) and why the 50 round drum wasnt popular and the 100 round drum even less so.😇

I repaid him by telling him a few old (boring) storys of my service and carring a rebored 7.62 Bren gun around in the field. 😅

Tool of choice one of my favourite barlows which I gave a little sharpen last night.

Dang! Airplanes, water cooled machine guns & old hotrods! Sounds like an awesome day! I guess you couldn't talk them into mounting that old Vickers in the back of one of the trucks??? 🤣

Back