1. Week 47 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Kizer Knives 1028A1 Dirk Pinkerton Lancer
    Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Knives 1028A1 Dirk Pinkerton Lancer + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships! Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Nov 23 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jackknife, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    That's what "awesome" means! I'm a curmudgeon, too. :grumpy: ;)

2. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    I was once called curmudgeonly in our national press! :D :thumbsup:

peanutsxx, RDaneel, Ramrodmb and 5 others like this.
  3. Prester John

May 20, 2018
    That's awesome!

peanutsxx, Pinemoon, Ramrodmb and 5 others like this.
  4. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Literally! :D :thumbsup:

5. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Words to live by. :thumbsup: :cool: :thumbsup:
    Winner!!!

Jack Black and Prester John like this.
  6. Dschal

Dschal Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 18, 2016
    Spring weather finally has arrived!
    [​IMG]

peanutsxx, TFBraden, HST and 25 others like this.
  7. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Thanks, GT!
    @JohnDF sent me this little Case stockman that I'm eyeing right now. It's white bone, but has a "pocketworn" jigging that would be tricky to deal with. I'm afraid it'll look cubist whether I want it to or not.
    [​IMG]
    This exchange gave me a laugh. You guys are very* unique!

*(sic)
    ;)

jwb01, TFBraden, Duckdog and 17 others like this.
  8. Fodderwing

Fodderwing Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2017
    It came with it GT. :) same oak

Amen

Thanks Jack.

cigarrodog and Jack Black like this.
  9. Prester John

May 20, 2018
    :cool::thumbsup:

Jack Black and r8shell like this.
  10. Misplaced Hillbilly

Misplaced Hillbilly Gold Member Gold Member

May 16, 2018
    [​IMG]

peanutsxx, jwb01, TFBraden and 27 others like this.
  11. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Cool photo, David. :thumbsup: :cool: :thumbsup:

Misplaced Hillbilly likes this.
  12. cigarrodog

cigarrodog Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 18, 2014
    I’ve been called a curmudgeon many times...by my wife. I take great pride.

Someday you may share the story, Jack. I’m sure it’s a good one.:thumbsup:

@Amir Fleschwund I love teaching moments. They let me know that I’m not so smart.

13. Misplaced Hillbilly

May 16, 2018
    That's looks like a fine knife for farm work, but the pliers really caught my eye. Those are definitely old school fencing pliers. Ours didn't have the double hammer faces, but had the hook opposite of the hammer. Many a time growing up after a storm or heavy snowfall,I'd go to the barn get the pail of staples(usually pronounced "steeples" by my Dad and the old timers before him) the pliers,and a bow saw. Pull off 10 feet or so of barbed wire roll it up in a hoop and walk the fence. Now the farm I grew up on was only 20 acres fenced, but being an Appalachian mountain farm,almost none of it was flat. Then we moved to a 180 acre farm, almost none of it was flat either, lol. Sometimes I hated it,but now I find myself wishing I was down in the holler walk'n the fence.
    Edit:Forgot about the saw, whole point of walking it was to cut the fallen limbs and small trees out of the wire. Well that, and we had one ornery brood cow kinda the matriarch, that liked to go see what the neighbors cows was up to, barbed wire be damned.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    peanutsxx, Duckdog, RDaneel and 13 others like this.
  14. Misplaced Hillbilly

May 16, 2018
    Thanks John, had to get a new phone, I busted my old one right where the microphone is. Little pieces of glass was coming off and I was afraid I'd inhale one :eek:
    Fooling with photo editing on this one( I like the old one better) although I wish the editor was better, the photo quality is really good :thumbsup:

15. Old Engineer

Old Engineer Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2014
    You just described the same "Fencing Pliars " that I had used as a young man David and that is also how we pronounced staples . Thank you for the short trip down Memory Lane my friend .

Harry

16. Frailer

Frailer Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 25, 2009
    This brings some memories. I’ll never forget the summer my dad (who also called staples “steeples”) decided that the fencing around our farm needed replacing. To this day I’ll
    do almost anything to avoid having to use post hole diggers, and I still *despise* cedar trees (which it was my job to periodically cut out of the fence line).

I hated the job...but I miss it, too.

17. Misplaced Hillbilly

May 16, 2018
    Great job! Looks amazing to me, and inspiring! I have a smooth white bone Rough Rider daddy Barlow, thinking of giving a lighthouse a shot, not sure if I want to do Hatteras or Cape Lookout.

Prester John likes this.
  18. joeradza

joeradza Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 6, 2014
    I'd take it as a compliment.

19. Misplaced Hillbilly

May 16, 2018
    Oh yes I still have occasional hands on time with post hole diggers,at least here in coastal NC the ground is mostly sand. In the mountains we've had to go at some post holes with a 40 pound slate bar.And my Dad has an ongoing war with cedars lol. Some people don't understand my reaction when I make this face:eek: and ask in genuine shock " You PLANTED blackberries!!??" Guess I spent to many hours grubbing the things out of our pastures:rolleyes:

20. skyhorse

skyhorse Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 30, 2010
    I got that fencing tool some years back at a side of the road stand out here in New Mexico for $2. They're dated 1907 and still going strong,I'm betting they'll go another 112 years no problem. I have another old one I use also like the one you describe.

peanutsxx, Duckdog, Pinemoon and 2 others like this.