What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Spring weather finally has arrived!
egvLF6n.jpg

You got Skilz, Rachel!! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup: I'll send you a couple of white bone RRs on which to practice, if you'll return them when you're finished! ;) (I'm thinking it would be sort of like finding some of Picasso's sketchbooks. :rolleyes:)

- GT
Thanks, GT!
JohnDF JohnDF sent me this little Case stockman that I'm eyeing right now. It's white bone, but has a "pocketworn" jigging that would be tricky to deal with. I'm afraid it'll look cubist whether I want it to or not.
Kaijd3z.jpg

I was once called curmudgeonly in our national press! :D :thumbsup:

That's awesome!

Literally! :D :thumbsup:
This exchange gave me a laugh. You guys are very* unique!

*(sic)
;)

That's a lot of knife, Dwight! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup: Did it come with the stylish matching bead, or did you make that?
It came with it GT. :) same oak

And the real SAKs are very inexpensive (compared to GEC, or even Case). It's sad. I've carried a knife most of my life, since I was about 8 or 9, and our forefathers did too. Necessary equipment, like carrying a comb, handkerchief, billfold, keys, etc. We live in a different world, where children are taught that all knives are weapons and are bad. It was man's first tool, for crying out loud! Well, I'm raising my daughter right. She ALWAYS has at least one knife on her, and most of the time it's a traditional.
Amen

Thank you very much Dwight, that's a beautiful pic
Thanks Jack.

Doing some fence repairs today.
phYKy7S.jpg
That's looks like a fine knife for farm work, but the pliers really caught my eye. Those are definitely old school fencing pliers. Ours didn't have the double hammer faces, but had the hook opposite of the hammer. Many a time growing up after a storm or heavy snowfall,I'd go to the barn get the pail of staples(usually pronounced "steeples" by my Dad and the old timers before him) the pliers,and a bow saw. Pull off 10 feet or so of barbed wire roll it up in a hoop and walk the fence. Now the farm I grew up on was only 20 acres fenced, but being an Appalachian mountain farm,almost none of it was flat. Then we moved to a 180 acre farm, almost none of it was flat either, lol. Sometimes I hated it,but now I find myself wishing I was down in the holler walk'n the fence.
Edit:Forgot about the saw, whole point of walking it was to cut the fallen limbs and small trees out of the wire. Well that, and we had one ornery brood cow kinda the matriarch, that liked to go see what the neighbors cows was up to, barbed wire be damned.

Last edited:
Cool photo, David. :thumbsup: :cool: :thumbsup:
Thanks John, had to get a new phone, I busted my old one right where the microphone is. Little pieces of glass was coming off and I was afraid I'd inhale one :eek:
Fooling with photo editing on this one( I like the old one better) although I wish the editor was better, the photo quality is really good :thumbsup:

That's looks like a fine knife for farm work, but the pliers really caught my eye. Those are definitely old school fencing pliers. Ours didn't have the double hammer faces, but had the hook opposite of the hammer. Many a time growing up after a storm or heavy snowfall,I'd go to the barn get the pail of staples(usually pronounced "steeples" by my Dad and the old timers before him) the pliers,and a bow saw. Pull off 10 feet or so of barbed wire roll it up in a hoop and walk the fence. Now the farm I grew up on was only 20 acres fenced, but being an Appalachian mountain farm,almost none of it was flat. Then we moved to a 180 acre farm, almost none of it was flat either, lol. Sometimes I hated it,but now I find myself wishing I was down in the holler walk'n the fence.
Edit:Forgot about the saw, whole point of walking it was to cut the fallen limbs and small trees out of the wire. Well that, and we had one ornery brood cow kinda the matriarch, that liked to go see what the neighbors cows was up to, barbed wire be damned.
You just described the same "Fencing Pliars " that I had used as a young man David and that is also how we pronounced staples . Thank you for the short trip down Memory Lane my friend .

Harry

This brings some memories. I’ll never forget the summer my dad (who also called staples “steeples”) decided that the fencing around our farm needed replacing. To this day I’ll
do almost anything to avoid having to use post hole diggers, and I still *despise* cedar trees (which it was my job to periodically cut out of the fence line).

I hated the job...but I miss it, too.

I'm thinking about putting a giant squid on the pile side.

RUJGdIh.jpg

xXEo2xe.jpg

I'm searching for a good image to use, but squids look pretty difficult to do well. (and I'm afraid if I mess up, it'll look like something not-so-family-friendly, if ya know what I mean) ;)
Great job! Looks amazing to me, and inspiring! I have a smooth white bone Rough Rider daddy Barlow, thinking of giving a lighthouse a shot, not sure if I want to do Hatteras or Cape Lookout.

This brings some memories. I’ll never forget the summer my dad (who also called staples “steeples”) decided that the fencing around our farm needed replacing. To this day I’ll
do almost anything to avoid having to use post hole diggers, and I still *despise* cedar trees (which it was my job to periodically cut out of the fence line).

I hated the job...but I miss it, too.
Oh yes I still have occasional hands on time with post hole diggers,at least here in coastal NC the ground is mostly sand. In the mountains we've had to go at some post holes with a 40 pound slate bar.And my Dad has an ongoing war with cedars lol. Some people don't understand my reaction when I make this face:eek: and ask in genuine shock " You PLANTED blackberries!!??" Guess I spent to many hours grubbing the things out of our pastures:rolleyes:

I got that fencing tool some years back at a side of the road stand out here in New Mexico for $2. They're dated 1907 and still going strong,I'm betting they'll go another 112 years no problem. I have another old one I use also like the one you describe.

Back