What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Mm6vyQe.jpg

EG8DcPC.jpg

More from Super San Diego! :D:):D

t6b0yRK.jpg

Wooden Wednesday - curly maple.

That’s camoflage. Don’t drop it in the brush.

As I get older, and my sight grows weaker, the Victorinox glass magnifier becomes more and more a valuable companion. The 13th printing of the Boy Scouts of America Scout Field Book is forever a source of wonder and a guide to adventure.

9oDp0Euh.jpg

Ixn4geOh.jpg
Besides my own from the sixties, I have Dad’s from the late thirties/early forties.

Lots of cool stuff in the old one - shooting, bow making...

I’d like to see your Champ fully opened. I’m going to compare it with mine that my girlfriend, now my wife, found on a UI sidewalk and gave me around ‘76. I’m curious about what they deleted to make room for the pliers.
Do you find the pliers useful?

Uncharacteristically, I spent the entire weekend with the same pair: a Queen #22 (1961-1971) and a Crown coke bottle hunter (1916-1919). I had adequate blade coverage (used the Crown to cut some rope while while limbing a tree).

LQDhbnr.jpg

- Stuart
Super-duper duo, Stuart; I especially like that Queen barlow! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Thank you GT. The seller said it was a gift from a German friend 40 yrs ago. It was still in the factory plastic sleeve. He said it had been in storage ever since. :)
Superb find, Dwight! :thumbsup::cool::cool: Thanks for the info.

5K Qs 5K Qs
The Four Seasons blasting out of my 64 Chevy radio. The memories don't get any better than that. But nothing beats

Maybe you need to name one of your knives, Alan! ;) (My first car (bought it in 1969) was a '64 Barracuda with an AM radio. :))

Thanks Gary! My Yellow Delrin is the small size. It weighs in at 3-5/8”. ;)
Thank you, Gary. Mine was a mini copperlock. I can tell the difference between mini and full size by noticing whether the handle seems very long or not. If you look at a few photos, you'll see what I mean.
Thanks for the mini copper lock info, Ron & Dean. :)

Most Texans aren't very PC, so we don't worry too much about inclusion when it comes to chili. We're more concerned with issues of right and wrong, and beans in chili is just wrong! The first World Championship Chili cookoff was held in Terlingua to settle that question. Wick Fowler won, dropped the mike, and walked out ha ha ha. We're willing to accept diversity in meats. Any cut of beef, venison, pork, even chicken. Any tofu product attempting to masquerade as meat gets you banned for life. And no, everyone does not win at chili cookoffs. Because that would be like participation trophies! I have a great joke about someone from the East Coast substituting as a judge at a Texas chili cookoff. I think the language precludes posting it here.
Thanks for more info about the Texas chili culture. :rolleyes:

5K Qs 5K Qs Thanks Gary, quite a nice trifecta you've put together :thumbsup:

For today I'm going with a pair of Jacks; an Imperial USN EO and a GEC 78 :)

Thanks, JJ. :)
Superior "something old/ something new" pairing you've put together! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Morning folks :thumbsup: These two for me today, Hartshead Barlow and a #66 Stockman generously gifted to me by @Campbellclanman :)
Superlative couple of selections, Jack! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thank you GT, I always enjoy seeing your Girl Scout knife, nice clean-up :) :thumbsup:
Thanks GT. Good job giving the scout knife some TLC. Looks like it’s in great condition, congrats!
Nice. I've seen them only in the shiny cel.
That looks quite presentable now, GT.
You put some elbow grease into that one. If Diane could see it now...
You have a great group of multiblades there. Great job cleaning up the GS knife!
Beautiful trio GT but I really like this green scout. The "Diana" monogram is way cool!
Thanks for the positive comments about the green scout knife, folks; it was pretty easy to clean, even while away from home on vacation a few years ago. :) According to this website http://www.vintagegirlscout.com/campeqknife1.html the smooth clear cel light green covers were made by Kutmaster/Utica from 1948-1972. Kutmaster then switched to the jigged green plastic for 1973-1979.

Summit-topping Case, @Travman! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

A 1977 3 dot Case lockback recovered by @glennbad View attachment 1146885
That's a sublime transformation, Alan! :thumbsup::cool::cool: What's the closed length of that lockback?

Oh-oh! Looks like a couple of your knives have committed hanging offenses, Jeff! ;)

Lot of back arch on that one, Dwight! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

44820275505_535ce81aba_b_d.jpg

Smooth Horn and Jigged Bone for Tuesday:D
Much more than suitable suite of knives, Ron! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

... A quote from Clint that might be applicable, “A mans got to know his limitations!” ;)
My favorite Dirty Harry quote; words to live by! :thumbsup:;)

Sway Back Jack today.

Love the scarlet SBJ, Dean! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Today with A. Wright & Son in stag and GEC # 15 TC.:cool::thumbsup:

289v604.jpg
r8v3gw.jpg
Two satisfying knives, José! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Yes, thanks, I did the scrimshaw. At the risk of showing it too many times:
W453gCb.jpg
Can't happen! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Been away for awhile and not even going to try to catch up. Today’s carry.
Welcome back, Ken!! :):thumbsup::thumbsup: We've missed you and your "theme photos".

View attachment 1147449 Big jack from Eagle, and a Camillus TL-29, both clad in cocobolo.
Good wood for Wednesday, Jeff! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

- GT

Besides my own from the sixties, I have Dad’s from the late thirties/early forties.

Lots of cool stuff in the old one - shooting, bow making...

I’d like to see your Champ fully opened. I’m going to compare it with mine that my girlfriend, now my wife, found on a UI sidewalk and gave me around ‘76. I’m curious about what they deleted to make room for the pliers.
Do you find the pliers useful?

Wow. I'd love to see a pic of your Dad's old knife.

My SwissChamp isn't that much different from your old Champion. It's just one layer larger, due to the pliers. The pliers are definitely limited by their size, but they're great for pulling staples out of cardboard boxes and working on electronics and other hobby stuff. There have been a few tool changes over the years, but not as many as you might think think.

C6HKt6uh.jpg

I don't have lobster often, but some days ya gotta treat youself. :D

Yes, thanks, I did the scrimshaw. At the risk of showing it too many times:
W453gCb.jpg

Beautiful work, r8shell. I don't think I'd get tired of seeing those, very much a pleasure.

For Wooden Wednesday, I am continuing my self imposed trend; Lamb and Barlow in Ebony and Dyed Curly Maple. It was difficult to capture the figuring in the Curly Maple but I think I got a good shot of the pile side, such wonderful chatoyence.

Us3hz8a.jpg

AgErAAo.jpg

Ron, that #47 Osage Orange is amazing. Don't see many of those.
Thanks Tim! I do like the Osage Orange #47. It has a certain beauty all it's own! :)

Beautiful grain Harvey! :) :thumbsup:

Smashing Ron :) :thumbsup:
Thank you Jack! :) :thumbsup:

Much more than suitable suite of knives, Ron! :cool::thumbsup::cool:
Thanks Gary! :) :thumbsup:

Beautiful work, r8shell. I don't think I'd get tired of seeing those, very much a pleasure.

For Wooden Wednesday, I am continuing my self imposed trend; Lamb and Barlow in Ebony and Dyed Curly Maple. It was difficult to capture the figuring in the Curly Maple but I think I got a good shot of the pile side, such wonderful chatoyence.

Us3hz8a.jpg

AgErAAo.jpg
Great pairing Dylan! :) :thumbsup:

@Prester John, 5K Qs 5K Qs , & @Travman - Thanks guys. It’s good to be back on the porch!
I always love to see that #79 Ken! Great to see you back posting. Hey, it won't be long until the Rendezvous! :) :thumbsup:

Back