What was the first knife steel you fell in love with and still use to this day?

1095 from various knife manufacturers was always a favorite.

When I "discovered" VG-10 and ATS-34 I sought them out pretty regular.

I still prefer these 3 over a lot of other stuff.

My first Benchmade was an AFO bought while working in a state where it was legal to buy and own one. It had ATS 34 for the blade and it made me fore proficient in freehand sharpening and forced me to finally buy some diamond hones to maintain the harder alloyed steels.

(ETA: TL;DR

BG 42 and S35VN were cool steel alloys that changed how I looked at what I came to expect in the performance of my knives.)

ETA: Director’s Cut ... ;)

BG 42 got me interested in custom knives and premium steels. It also began my interest what different alloys do to enhance different properties of steel and how it changes its structure.

S35VN was the steel that taught me what a joy an alloyed steel, custom taylored for the knife industry could be to use and maintain.

I bore the heck outta the Mrs when I start tryin’ to discuss the merits of high carbon vs stain resistant steel to her and arguin’ with the YouTube guy on the tv about the difference between Spyderco’s H1 and David Boye's Dendritic Cobalt alloy for use in highly corrosive environments.

I’m constantly hearing about old new and new old steels. M390 even though very similar to Elmax intrigued me and I’ve been itching to try some and the other steel that peaks my curiosity is the CTS-XHP some of the companies have tried, basically a better D2 than D2 is. :) (~);-}

Last edited:
Throw me in with the 1095 and 10XX crowd. Started carrying it in the early 60s, and all my "fun" knives were 1095, then so were my work knives for a couple of decades after that. I always carried CASE folders, but my favorite hunting knives were a Schrade "Golden Spike" in 10XX, and a very early Buck in 440C.

Still have most of my folders from those days, and although I carry all manner of stainless these days, when the weather turns cooler and I don't sweat through my jeans I still love to carry some of those old carbon work knives. They still work great at work, just like they did 50 years ago. Carrying that old carbon takes me back to those days and makes me smile.

Robert

Last edited:
ATS-34 from REKAT, back in the 90's I think. REKAT's long gone and I've sold a few over the years, but the ones I kept keep trucking. Newest loves are S35VN & 3V, but honorable mention D2 & high carbons (A2/O1) as well.

I will add to the Buck 420 crowd. My first 110 in 1983 at the age of 13. Took me a few years to really put that knife to work, but it was always a pleasure when I could get it out and do some cuttin'. It has been in the vault with the collection, but there have been quite a few 440c Buck's purchased because of that first one.

M2 was my first production blade super steel, and 25 years later it's still better than 95% of what's out there (production wise).

Not sure I've ever "fell in love" with a blade steel. I guess you could say I'm a tramp. I use whatever knife is "best" for the job, regardless of what the blade is made of.
Heck, on a few of my knives, I have no idea what steel was used. (I know the manufacturer did not use "Unobtanium" though.)
All I know is they do the task at hand, when I use them.

I'm still using the same steels as when I was a youngling: 1095 or some other 10xx carbon steel, 440A ...
Mainly because I prefer a multi-blade traditional slipjoint, and generally speaking, they are not available with the modern "super steels".

Truth to tell, that does not hurt my feelings none. The 10xx, 440A, and Buck's 420HC continues to cut, whittle, slice, or skin everything I need a knife to cut, whittle, slice or skin. :)

I like whatever Buck used in the early seventies but, when I got back into knives a few years ago
I was amazed with all the steel hype going on. 440 steel I knew but what is all this A, B, and C stuff? And, what’s BG 42, ATS-34,
and D2?

Two steels stepped to the forefront for me. Sandvik 14C28N
became my favorite budget steel.
And, Benchmade’s use of 154cm helped me learn that I don’t need the latest blade steel. Some of my favorite knives are 154cm.

I think Sandvik 14C28N is my all time favorite because it’s easy to work with and you can get an unbelievable fine edge on it.

Last edited:
My first was a Buck 110 in 1975 made of 440C and as a maker, I Still use 440C in a couple of my Culinary knife patterns and have the Buck facility in Idaho, HT those and all of my Stainless knife steels..

154cm

cAAPXaJh.jpg

Probably 1095 and 420HC used in slip joints. I honestly never paid any attention to steels until joining Blade Forums. I judged by price.

Back