What was your first "big boy" knife?

So, today i picked up my first knife using a premium steel. I went with the Spyderco Native 5 lightweight (blue Frn) in S110v. Its my first knife using a higher end steel, and my first spyderco knife in general. Only paid 90 for ot, so i'm pretty stoked.

Tell me what your first "big boy" knife was. Are you still as happy with it today as when you bought it? Have you found that it didnt live up to the hype you heard or had for it? Id love to hear personal feedback and stories/experience.

Perhaps this thread will help people pick out their first premium blade.

Leatherman Charge Tti with an S30V blade. Then an Enzo PK70 with the same steel which I lost last week; arghh!
Now replaced with an S90V Manly Wasp.

I bought a Spyderco Police fully serrated around 2001, and at the time, it was so expensive and scary looking, that was the knife that got me into the hobby, still have it but never use it

After years of carrying only a SAL spartan my first « big » knife was a ZT0350 with a DLC blade.
It was everything the ninja inside me was needing ;)

it is since gone but it was my introduction into serious knives

My first one handed folder was an Endura with zdp 189 steel. I used this for several years as my main edc/work knife. I still carry it occasionally.

My first big boy knife was a Manix 2 XL. Liked itenough I traded into a dlc coated Manix 2 that is my daily carry at work.

I remember when I was a kid, maybe 8 or 9 my father giving me a big old buck folder, had a hard time with the back lock lol.

Otherwise I'd say a benchmade 550 in 154cm as an adult

I just posted about this one in another thread earlier today, the Benchmade HK 14200. I've been trying to remember when it was, and my best estimate is that it had to be somewhere around 2005.

I've carried knives since I was a child, everything from from SAK's to Rambo survival knives, to my nicest one which was a lockback made by Puma which I cherished as a kid. As a young adult however, I mostly carried any number of box store available knives like Gerbers and the such, and didn't know any better.

The one that started all this madness was the aforementioned HK Benchmade, which I bought some time in my mid to late twenties (I'm 43 now). I carried it as my only knife and it served me well as such for quite a few years before I became a full-fledged knife fiend. Here's a pic of the same model (it's a newer one I picked up but I still have the original).

NRkXrEo.jpg

Buying a Buck 110 when I was 19 was a big deal. It made me feel like I belonged on the crew I was working with at the time, as I was pretty young and they'd been working together for a while. Later, it was a Spyderco Paramilitary 2 after years of inexpensive folders. It was everything I hoped it would be in a higher end knife, and buying it at the factory in Golden made it special.

I had a boy scout pocket knife, Utica I think. Then I got a Buck 102 Woodsman as my first fixed blade. A few years later, I bought a Puma Bowie with the Sambar stag handle! That was about 48 years ago. Probably cost me around $40. Now they cost about $240.

IMG_0208.JPG My first real big boy knife was my Kabar Marine Corps knife in college. Once I had my first job after college I started getting better folders such as a small Puma Sport Tec, I used to look forward to getting the Cutlery Shoppe flyers back then. My first real custom was an ML knife hunter.

Last edited:
My first "big boy" knife was a Case Barlow when I was about 9 or 10 years old. Lots of big boy knives have appeared since I joined the forum.

My first big boy knife was back in, I believe 2011, and it was a Benchmade Onslaught (the big one).

My first "big boy" knife was a Case Barlow when I was about 9 or 10 years old. Lots of big boy knives have appeared since I joined the forum. At the time I considered this to be a very premium knife! (oops semi-double post)

Mine was a Victorinox classic.
The fact that I was trusted to take care of and not loose the knife that was in my grandfather's pocket when he died was a big deal to me.
I'm not carrying one at the moment but own about 5 right now and still find them extremely useful, how could I not think highly of a little knife that my grandfather could accomplish just about anything with ?

Back