What would be a good self defence weapon for me?

I'm 21yrs old, 6' and only weigh in at 115... aka: SKINNY!
I drive a nice car... and from time to time have to go through bad parts of town, either walking, or driving.
Now, my concern is since I look like a wuss, and I might have some money, or other valuables, that I might be targeted by thugs or what have you. So what should I carry, learn, etc... to prepare myself incase something happens?

First off, if someone tried to rob me, I would give them what they want... because the money in my wallet is still less than law-suits and hospital bills, if anything bad did happen.
But if it was apparent the dude was going to mess me up, I would like to be able to defend myself.

Since I am so light... I don’t' see how any sort of martial arts would help me much... so a weapon seems the most useful alternative. I currently carry a Benchmade 722s, and it gives slight peace of mind, be it miss-guided or not :)

So, what would you suggest? I am sure some sort of training is in order.

Thanks for your suggestions and help! :)

Shrubba

Any Glock would be ideal. If you have a problem with semi-autos, then a snub nosed revolver in .38 spl or .44 spl would be a simple second best choice. Also buy a similar .22lr handgun for more practice.

Yes, knives are great and I always have some, but beyond arm's reach they are quite limited, and you might face two or more attackers.

For a martial art, you sound like a potential TKD weapon, just two hardened fists and two hardened feet on the ends of spring steel. One of my TKD instructors was young, tall and skinny but he was very flexible and very fast. I could never find a target to strike without being intercepted by a fist or foot, and I am 6'1" but over 200 lbs, old and slow. TKD is more of a sport and less of a serious fighting art, but it is accessible everywhere.

Try to cross train in some grappeling art in addition to concentrating on a striking art, so you will at least learn what to expect when some fat bastid is sitting on you, pounding your head!
That's a good time to draw your spare knife!

Back