What would carry and why?

Hi all!
If you were going in the military or on a very long backing trip what khukuri would you bring with you? Concidering that you would be carring it with all your other gear and you could very well be in the field for long periods of time you should concider it's weight and length.

I think I would carry nothing longer than a khukuri with a length of 15-17 inches and under a pound an a half. I think I would bring one of my 15 inch AK or my 15 inch WWII. I would also think about bringing a 12 incher as well, as long as the handle was comfortable. My favorite khuk is my Sanu made 17 inch chiruwa AK but I think it might be a little big to carry for long periods of time.

Also if your handle gets damaged in the field the chiruwa offers the advantage that even if the slabs are torn off you will still have the full tang to hold onto unlike the rat tail tang.

Just my thoughts!:)

My 15" Chiruwa AK by Murali. 1lb 7.4oz, and hard as hell:) It'll chop down large trees if I work hard enough, which I'd rather do when chopping instead of when hiking with 90lb pack! Plus its quick enough in the hand, yet with enough ummph to be a serious weapon.

Even the Karda and Chakma are Chiruwa style:)

Regardless of which khuk style I'd choose (and no prizes for guessing which that'd be...), first thing I'd do before strapping it on my belt for a long hike would be to grind off that $%&@~# pointy scabbard chape... Maybe it's just because I've got short legs, but every step I take, the g**damned thing stabs me in the back of the knee-joint.

Regardless of which khuk style I'd choose (and no prizes for guessing which that'd be...), first thing I'd do before strapping it on my belt for a long hike would be to grind off that $%&@~# pointy scabbard chape...

I removed it from my 15' AK scabbard last weekend by heating it with a lighter. It got off real easily. Recommended.

-Emile

My YCS without any doubt. Right size, weight, and kardas for any and all events that may arrise. As an added plus, it is just plain beautiful. I still want a steel fitted, Plain Jane YCS with proper sized karda. One of these days I will bug Uncle Bill on a day he has one in. I hope!

My BAS has acompanied me on hikes lasting a few days so far and done eveything it needed to do and was not a burden. I love that knife. That is what I take, have taken and most likely will continue to take. Mine is chapeless.

I wish that there would have been an HI when I headed for Southeast Asia. Now that I have had the chance to handle five of them I have my pick close at hand most of the time. I know there are many kinds that I haven't even had a hand on. But, the Grunt has to carry all of his gear or go without.
the 20" Kobra is one heck of a fighting knife, but the 18" Sirupati is a handier length and still heavy enough to have some authority when used as a weapon.

Everything comes back to the fact that some people would not like my choice for war if they had a dozen of them. Personal preference will make your choice for a guy real quick. Tall and slim, heavy,or average build; How good a shape you are in, experience and probably a thousand other factors help you make the choice. I've made mine.

Good luck with what ever you choose.:cool: :D :cool:

I've tried out a number of them on camping trips. The voting is now in, and my favorite is a 15 and a half inch steel-mounted AK villager with chirawa handles. They were easily the most uncomfortable handles ever, so I wrapped them in padded racquet tape and they became the most comfortable handles ever. The other K's clamor for a chance to come along, but it's very hard to leave that villager behind.

What kind of Khuks do have now? Another thing is I don't know what kind of unit you may go to, but almost any heavy blade will feel like close to a ton after a twenty mile forced march. Maybe they don't do that sort of thing anymore.

I read a thread the other day that said that no Khuk was a bad choice. True. If you don't like the long blades, the BAS, AK 15" though a bit heavy The three Military style blades that Uncle Bill has are tried and proven in use all over the world.
I don't think you can go wrong with any one of the three. I'm dealing with a 6' frame and a wing span
of just over 6' 4". I'm not crazy about the blades longer than 20" but those and the 18" seem to handle pretty well for the long arms that I have to put up with. The 15" AK does OK because of the weight and where it balances.

Good luck with whatever you decide to use.

Carrying a Khukri into combat...hmm
I can only think of the Nepalis at this very moment living at or around 14,000ft above sea level (What is the elevation of the Katmandu Valley?).

I climbed a few mountains in CO when I was a kid, with only a daypack, that were that tall and I thought I was gonna die. There isnt any air up there!

I can only imagine humping over more trecherous terrain with full battle gear and in an environment that is more elevated and hence colder.

As for khukris, in my collection it is a draw between my 18"GS, M43, and 21" Chitlangi. All weigh about the same (as far as I can tell w/o a scale) and all handle magnificently.:)

Tell you what...In a situation like what they have in Nepal now I would trade one of the three khukris above and my .223 for a good scoped .30 and a 12" Sirupati. :)

Pappy, I know what you mean about a heavy blade getting even heaver. That is why I would concider a 12 inch khuk. I have a steel mounted 12 inch AK with a chiruwa handle that could still out chop all other non khuk knives in this size range.:)

I know this is going to be considered heretical by some, especially coming from a guy who swears some of his khuks have a spirit, but I'd take my heavier village chainpuri. It's 17", big broad but light blade, and can do anything a bas can and more. Though I've used it enough to get somewhat attached to it, and to trust in it's standing up to abuse, I'm not taking anything into danger that is so valuable in cost or sentiment that I'd do anything foolish to recover it. I'd sacrifice the village chainpuri in a split second.

( Then try to buy 4 more when I was out of danger. Anything from 15 to 18" that felt right if another similar chainpuri wasn't available. )

Does anyone doubt that any full battle rifle caliber or it's equivalent* will do the job on the biggest mule deer? Same with khuks.

* 6.5x55; .270; 7x57; 7mm08; 280; .300 Savage; 308/7.62x51; 30-06; 8x57; and more.

PS: Just felt like being contrary today. I reserve the right to change my mind tomorrow if I feel like it.:p

Back