Photos What would the axe of your dreams look like?

Hey gang, just joining the forum. I've been on a lot of axe focused facebook groups but decided to jump on here to see what kind of community you've built.

My question for you is what would your dream axe look like?

Last edited by a moderator:
I want a set of pack size mini axes.
All 1.75lb heads on nice slim handles and phantom bevels.
mini Michigan, Michigan double bit, Jersey and Connie axes.

Not miniatures , just small compact versions because why not.
This size is a notorious shin splitter if you're not careful but I am pretty careful on the rare occasion I actually really need an axe beyond basic yard / tree maintenance I can use a garden saw and loppers for but don't.

Last edited:
Hey gang, just joining the forum. I've been on a lot of axe focused facebook groups but decided to jump on here to see what kind of community you've built and do a little market research.

Background: I run an axe throwing business in Utah, and we've started getting into manufacturing axes specifically for throwing. Our approach is unique in that we're using a combination of 3D printing to create molds and cast heads followed by a serious heat treatment process.

I fully acknowledge cast parts aren't as good as a forged part, but we can get 90% of the way there and casting gives us so much more flexibility in designs and allows us to create any axe that we can turn into a 3D model.

I can't figure out how to attache images in this post, but you can see our designs at:
[REDACTED]

But my question for you is what would your dream axe look like?

I'd suggest first getting an appropriate level of paid membership before plugging your business, as it's against forum rules.

But that point aside, it all depends on context. There are lots of different axes that I wish were made for different tasks and settings. Each and every one of those designs is based on fundamental aspects of axe design, which is all about careful balances and tradeoffs to optimize each for its intended context of use. Is that use splitting at home for generating a season's worth of firewood? Is it camping? Is it carving/crafting? Trail maintenance? Scouting a wood lot? Limbing a tree after felling with a chainsaw? Pruning bad saplings that are crowding into a field? All sorts of applications, and each call for a different balance of features.

I'd like to see an American-style head adapted accordingly so that it could accommodate a slip-fit eye style for a tomahawk or pickaxe style of handle fit while still having enough wood at the butt end to have at least a small knob to it.

Last edited:
I want a set of pack size mini axes.
All 1.75lb heads on nice slim handles and phantom bevels.
mini Michigan, Michigan double bit, Jersey and Connie axes.

Not miniatures , just small compact versions because why not.
This size is a notorious shin splitter if you're not careful but I am pretty careful on the rare occasion I actually really need an axe beyond basic yard / tree maintenance I can use a garden saw and loppers for but don't.

Do you have pictures or sketches of each specific style you're referring to? I think we could easily put together some "pack sized" axes. The biggest hurdle would be making an eye that would have enough meat to not break under heavy usage.

I'd suggest first getting an appropriate level of paid membership before plugging your business, as it's against forum rules.

But that point aside, it all depends on context. There are lots of different axes that I wish were made for different tasks and settings. Each and every one of those designs is based on fundamental aspects of axe design, which is all about careful balances and tradeoffs to optimize each for its intended context of use. Is that use splitting at home for generating a season's worth of firewood? Is it camping? Is it carving/crafting? Trail maintenance? Scouting a wood lot? Limbing a tree after felling with a chainsaw? Pruning bad saplings that are crowding into a field? All sorts of applications, and each call for a different balance of features.

I'd like to see an American-style head adapted accordingly so that it could accommodate a slip-fit eye style for a tomahawk or pickaxe style of handle fit while still having enough wood at the butt end to have at least a small knob to it.

Correct membership acquired.

Tomahawk handle in an american style head. What do you mean by and american style head? There are a lot of head designs that are associated with various regions of the US.....

Tomahawk handle in an american style head. What do you mean by and american style head? There are a lot of head designs that are associated with various regions of the US.....

I mean as distinct from typical continental European axe head design. Slip-fit eyes are commonly found in Spain, Portugal, France, and Italy, among other regions, but they also tend to have almost no poll and thin, knife-like bits. These axes have their advantages and disadvantages, just as the American range of axe patterns have their own advantages and disadvantages, and I think that adopting the slip-fit eye in an otherwise American style axe would make for a very useful tool. I can't exactly be more specific about the American style head since I'm talking about the fundamental design elements in a broad sense rather than a specific pattern. After all, for a slip fit eye to work properly in an otherwise American-design there would have to be adjustments made that would make it no longer a conventional existing pattern, and how those concessions are made is at the discretion of the designer. I have my own designs drafted, but as I'm a commercial designer I can't exactly just share them openly, eh? :)

Do you have pictures or sketches of each specific style you're referring to? I think we could easily put together some "pack sized" axes. The biggest hurdle would be making an eye that would have enough meat to not break under heavy usage.
Welcome to Bladeforums
In 1950ies there was Marion Tool corp that made cast alloy axes using crafcoite alloy. I could find different sizes: camp hatchets, boy's axes, to full size 3lbs. It seems the size did not matter when using Crafcoite. The shapes resembled contemporary forged tools
vintage-crafcoite-marion-tool-corp_1_1cbff0c89133a0cad87f9e97baa9e259.jpg

vintage-crafcoite-marion-tool-corp_1_1cbff0c89133a0cad87f9e97baa9e259.jpg

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-crafcoite-marion-tool-corp-1992414807
some more info on Crafcoite
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...atchet-i-am-working-on.1249206/#post-14303311

I might be wrong but to promote your business you actually need different kind of membership:
KnifeMaker, Craftsman, Service Provider
If I were you I would contact moderator for further advice

Last edited:
I could sketch them tomorrow.
Really though they would just be like larger hatchet heads size wise and that typcal scout hatchet type eye size would be fine with a 20" handle.

Back