What would you consider Benchmades flagship knife?

I would say:
For one knife the 710 because it was the first Benchmade with the Axis lock
For a line the Griptilian series of knives. The Grip and the mini-grip have got to be Benchmades best selling series of knives.

I agree with the above, although if I had to choose just one, it would have to be the griptilian.

I would say:
For one knife the 710 because it was the first Benchmade with the Axis lock
For a line the Griptilian series of knives. The Grip and the mini-grip have got to be Benchmades best selling series of knives.

+1:thumbup:

While id say the 710 and 940 immediately come to mind, id have to go with the griptilian as well esp since BM has the customization option for them. It would be awesome if you could customize all of their knives they currently sell. But since the grip is the only one that you can do that with I think that makes them their flagship.

+1
I agree that for a line it has to be the Grips. I would change my mind if the AFCK series returned to production. Can you imagine the fortune BM could make if they offered an AFCK customizer like the grips? Think of all the people that would buy an Axis based AFCK with different scale colors, blade steels, etc. That would be bad for my wallet.

Last edited:
+1
I agree that for a line it has to be the Grips. I would change my mind if the AFCK series returned to production. Can you imagine the fortune BM could make if the offered an AFCK customizer like the grips? Think of all the people that would buy an Axis based AFCK with different scale colors, blade steels, etc. That would be bad for my wallet.

I couldn't agree more. Like i said in my post I wish you could customize any of their knives or at the very least choose which steel you prefer. Im sure theres an explanation why you can't and i wish i knew cause id have to assume they'd increase their sales and attract an army of new customers if they did.

I agree, the grip sells, it's the face everyone sees. Flippers might think 42 weehawk. Main sales aren't to collectors or fans.

What do I think of when I think of Benchmade... 72x, 3550 and auto Stryker. None of that means squat, grips sell by the boatload.

Being that they were built around balisongs, I feel like it would be one of those. I'd say the 42 was the flagship... now I guess it might be the 62.

I like the 950 Rift, not a tank but a heavy weight truck with a tough blade. I've carried a Barrage on the weak side for the past couple of years, but the Rift just does it for me. One day, I might drop for a Contego. I don't have a good reason for not having a 710, but when offered in a special run with a steel of the week, I'll probably get one. I don't think I can beat it as hard as a Rift though :)

The Rift is one Benchmade model I'll buy in Different steels(just scored a Forum Knife Rift with M4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) I'd rather have many 950s in different steel than to Collect PM2's in different steel.

940's look sexy, but Alum. handles don't do it for me.

710 or maybe now 810. I feel like its an updated version of the rift. 940 is good too.

Griptilian appears to be the overall winner. This latest issue of BladeMag gives them #2 ranking among the top 10 production knives in the current market.

i think their mass production flagship would be the 581. highest quality stainless steel, beautifully maschined aluminum bolsters and g10 handle scales, assisted opening and a safety slide. oh, and axis lock, of course.
i would go so far and call it the "most benchamade" knife in their current production.
i doubt that i am alone with this opinion. :cool:

strange, that i'm the first to mention the 581. :eek:

Last edited:
I really think that depends on your definition of flag ship?

If by that you mean best seller or most popular model then currently that would have to be the Griptilian.

If you mean model that most or best defines BM then I think that has changed over the years.

For me, during the time I first became aware of BM and started buying them no question it was the AFCK and the Stryker, aside from their Balisong's.

Shortly after the 710 lead the way.

Up until the introduction of the Grip it could have been several models. The Skirmish and Rukus come to mind, or even the Rift. The 940 seemed to be an instant classic though. So it's really hard to say.

I'd be really curious to see what BM has to say on the subject though?

The 42 if you are talking overall, the Nimravus for fixed blades, and the 710 for a typical folder. I suppose the auto flagship would be the AFO.

I think the 42 was their flagship, was my first Benchmade which I bought about 10 years ago and is still my favorite knife of all time.

I really like Benchmade axis lock folders (except assisted models with safties) but none of them really stand out to me as a flagship model. Some come really close but have small things I'd change first before I'd give them that label.

Last edited:
Back