What would YOU do with this axe?

Truly you are a wizard! :D:thumbsup:. Thank you! That would make a lot of sense and is in keeping with what I felt of the timeframe of when it was made. How interesting! Homer- Bishop was part of Samuel Bigelow's story and the Boston fire ruined that businesswhich led to Macomber, Bigelow & Dowse starting up. How cool is that!
Imagine only what kind of info could @Steve Tall provide. Steeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeve, where are you?

Last edited:
Here is my next offering. An adorable Rixford R55 Kentucky pattern weighing in at just under 2 lbs 14 ozs. Typically there is a weight stamp on Rixford’s of this era, but not here. It’s a full size eye so I’m assuming that it’s originally a 3 lber.

And it is SO abused. Mushroomed like crazy, top of the eye is bent. It’s horrible given how beautiful this pattern looks on a 3 lber. The rest of the axe is in great shape- great patina, smooth.

For me, it’s not a user as is and I hesitate to grind the poll and lose the stamp. It’s too abused (I think) to be a wall hanger (btw, I use this phrase metaphorically as I don’t actually have axes hanging in my house). And I have no intention of ever selling.

So the question stands, what would you do?

8v2oXtz.jpg

g18emSF.jpg

GCIOM0t.jpg

1XvJ4Kx.jpg

sAPF6Hg.jpg

I'd heat and hammer the eye back in shape on that Rixford and then hang it. The poll is too far gone to do anything without further damaging the logo.

So, this isn't an axe, but I'm still not sure what I should do with it.

I got this really cool old axe cover with a Rixford DB head. The seller was a lady from VT, so it may be original, IDK.

The cover really isn't in terrible shape. It looks like it was treated with tallow or wax or something at some point. It has a cool saddle ring on the back and seems well built. The straps are a little crunchy and brittle, so if it were to be used, those probably should be replaced. However, I'm thinking that this is more of a collectors item than a user - though I'm not sure I want to get into collecting that kind of thing so I would probably sell it. What do you think? Replace straps and use, or sell to someone who would want to collect it? do you think anyone would be interested in such a thing?

Here are some pics with the Rixford head it came with. The head measures 9 1/2" x 4 3/4" and fits perfectly. Makes me think I should keep it, but to what end?

I'm so happy you contributed to this thread! Lonely island I was on.

I'm not sure I've ever seen that stamp on a Rixford, very cool!!

Last edited:
So, this isn't an axe, but I'm still not sure what I should do with it.

I got this really cool old axe cover with a Rixford DB head. The seller was a lady from VT, so it may be original, IDK.

The cover really isn't in terrible shape. It looks like it was treated with tallow or wax or something at some point. It has a cool saddle ring on the back and seems well built. The straps are a little crunchy and brittle, so if it were to be used, those probably should be replaced. However, I'm thinking that this is more of a collectors item than a user - though I'm not sure I want to get into collecting that kind of thing so I would probably sell it. What do you think? Replace straps and use, or sell to someone who would want to collect it? do you think anyone would be interested in such a thing?

Here are some pics with the Rixford head it came with. The head measures 9 1/2" x 4 3/4" and fits perfectly. Makes me think I should keep it, but to what end?

I think you're right that it's a collector piece not a user. I think replacement straps would ruin it. From what you've said I would sell it. Someone else will love it more than you do.

Hey Flint,
I'm really interested in the weight stamp on the R51. I have a keen interest in Rixford's, and while I've seen many pieces, I've never seen one where the weight stamp used the Plumb-like 3 'to the power of' 2 convention for 3 1/2 lbs (if I'm reading the picture right). Do you still have the axe? Any chance you could post some more pictures of those stamps? Thanks!

Hey Flint,
I'm really interested in the weight stamp on the R51. I have a keen interest in Rixford's, and while I've seen many pieces, I've never seen one where the weight stamp used the Plumb-like 3 'to the power of' 2 convention for 3 1/2 lbs (if I'm reading the picture right). Do you still have the axe? Any chance you could post some more pictures of those stamps? Thanks!

Yes, sure! Here it is and yes it does have the superscript 2 indicating 2/4 pound

I also have an older Rixford that has the 3 1/2 stamp which is more typical

maybe they switched styles sometime between 1941 and 1951 ?

Thanks! That's fascinating.

I've flipped through hundreds of pictures of Rixfords (thank you worthpoint), and since seeing your picture looked again at double bits with stamps around late 40s to 52 (I have five 3 1/2 lb double bits from 53-55, so I have plenty of samples there), and have never come across the subscript weight stamp. I have a 3 1/2 lb single bit R51 with the traditional weight stamp as well. Here's an R50 double with their traditional weight stamp (https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-rixford-r50-hand-made-1-lb-1802207576). Still, none are like what you have.

They did vary the horizontal vs diagonal slash in the weight throughout the years, and the font, so it's not unprecedented that they would tinker a bit. They also have had 'one off' years where the stamp would be different than the prior or former years (e.g. R34 they added "MFG.CO.", something they used in much older years, just for that year).

Again, I'm fascinated, thanks again for sharing.

And then there is this guy...

First, I know what many people around here think about polishing old axes. I tend to agree. So, I'll explain.

When I first got this axe, maybe a year ago, I really liked most of it's overall characteristics, but the more time I spent thinking about how I was going to use it, it bugged me. The bit profile had flat spots. The grind was uneven (dramatically different angles either side). It had bench grinder marks for at least an inch up one side. The patina was slightly, but noticeably, different on each side. I'd study it and began to hate it.

Next time I'd picked it up I'd think "I'm soo petty, this is a great axe!" I did this back and forth for many months trying to decide what I was going to do with it. As an aside, I've been looking for a single bit (Rixford) chopper weighing in the range of 3.4 to 3.7 for some time. I have a 36" handle waiting (for times when I'm chopping below my feet). Subconsciously, I wanted this to be the guy. It's a Rixford R46 stamped 4 lbs and weighs 3.67. But with the bit ground down that much, it would take serious work to thin it out to get it to chop well. I had to get over that.

I knew I had to re-profile. I needed to get rid of those bench grind marks. I knew I had to fix the uneven grind. I watch all those videos of 'mirror finish' axes. I decided to commit to my first 'shining'. So I fixed the bit with a file (not sharpened yet), and sanded by hand for about 10 hours (in the middle of the night when the kids were asleep over 2 months).

I get why some people are attracted to shiny things. I'm not one of those people. So, as the thread says, what do I do with this guy? Does the shiny head deserves a fancy handle?

Wait, I got the intent of the thread wrong. What would you do with this axe?

i3tCzAs.jpg

J1VHa2R.jpg

0ZPexzN.jpg

XviaCwE.jpg

u3f87Yb.jpg

lyYMVk1.jpg

Last edited:
And then there is this guy...

First, I know what many people around here think about polishing old axes. I tend to agree. So, I'll explain.

When I first got this axe, maybe a year ago, I really liked most of it's overall characteristics, but the more time I spent thinking about how I was going to use it, it bugged me. The bit profile had flat spots. The grind was uneven (dramatically different angles either side). It had bench grinder marks for at least an inch up one side. The patina was slightly, but noticeably, different on each side. I'd study it and began to hate it.

Next time I'd picked it up I'd think "I'm soo petty, this is a great axe!" I did this back and forth for many months trying to decide what I was going to do with it. As an aside, I've been looking for a single bit (Rixford) chopper weighing in the range of 3.4 to 3.7 for some time. I have a 36" handle waiting (for times when I'm chopping below my feet). Subconsciously, I wanted this to be the guy. It's a Rixford R46 stamped 4 lbs and weighs 3.67. But with the bit ground down that much, it would take serious work to thin it out to get it to chop well. I had to get over that.

I knew I had to re-profile. I needed to get rid of those bench grind marks. I knew I had to fix the uneven grind. I watch all those videos of 'mirror finish' axes. I decided to commit to my first 'shining'. So I fixed the bit with a file (not sharpened yet), and sanded by hand for about 10 hours (in the middle of the night when the kids were asleep over 2 months).

I get why some people are attracted to shiny things. I'm not one of those people. So, as the thread says, what do I do with this guy? Does the shiny head deserves a fancy handle?

Wait, I got the intent of the thread wrong. What would you do with this axe?

i3tCzAs.jpg

J1VHa2R.jpg

0ZPexzN.jpg

XviaCwE.jpg

u3f87Yb.jpg

lyYMVk1.jpg
I'd swing it man! Sounds like you really want to anyhow, and polished axes release so easy when they bind in a cut. If I recall correctly you've got quite a free Rixys. Why not put this one to work?
Great job btw! I have hand polished a half dozen heads myself and it takes some serious time. Though I prefer a natural patina myself, sometimes either the look of the axe or some other necessity requires polishing. I think it looks good man. :thumbsup::D

I'd swing it man! Sounds like you really want to anyhow, and polished axes release so easy when they bind in a cut. If I recall correctly you've got quite a free Rixys. Why not put this one to work?
Great job btw! I have hand polished a half dozen heads myself and it takes some serious time. Though I prefer a natural patina myself, sometimes either the look of the axe or some other necessity requires polishing. I think it looks good man. :thumbsup::D

Thanks Josh. Yeah, the hand polishing (I didn't actually polish cause it was only sand paper- up to about 3000 grit I think) is all about time. And it can look like crap if you don't follow through to the end.

I probably struggle too much with the questions "What is this axe going to excel at?" and "What void is this tool going to fill?" before I put it in circulation. It probably sounds crazy, but about 1/3 of my user axe investment is in the haft, so there is an addition cost committing to putting in circulation. I have 7 brilliant Rixford users right now that all have their place (e.g. cutter/splitter, handle length/weight). I have one all purpose that I love, but I seldom go to it because it's not great at anything, just good at everything (3.25 lb Michigan, 32" haft). It's my car axe right now (for unpredictable purposes.) This seems similar to that, but heavier. Maybe leaning towards a spitter based on the bit being filed back, but still wondering about "What is this axe going to excel at?" and "What void is this tool going to fill?"

You have created a nice looking axe! If I had a need for a "fallers axe"; primarily driving plastic wedges, cleaning out undercuts, and such; I would hang it on a 26" straight haft and put it to work! I have a couple of 4# axes set up this way, and a couple more on 20" miners hafts.

Nice axe,Glenn,it looks like you invested a considerable amount of effort,but have done it wisely,right on!

Actually,a whatever degree of polish was historically the original preservation technique;very early on people tried scrubbing stuff clean so it'd have a better chance to Stay clean(tools,weapons,as many other things as applicable).
Polished surface offers less area for corrosion,and is easier to wipe/clean/et c. to further prevent oxidation.

And separately good on you for paying attention to what these tools are FOR,that,i think,is what is so sorely lacking in many corners of axe-interest world...And afterall,that IS the whole point!
So yes,thanks for posting all this cool stuff,respect.

Nice axe,Glenn,it looks like you invested a considerable amount of effort,but have done it wisely,right on!

Actually,a whatever degree of polish was historically the original preservation technique;very early on people tried scrubbing stuff clean so it'd have a better chance to Stay clean(tools,weapons,as many other things as applicable).
Polished surface offers less area for corrosion,and is easier to wipe/clean/et c. to further prevent oxidation.

And separately good on you for paying attention to what these tools are FOR,that,i think,is what is so sorely lacking in many corners of axe-interest world...And afterall,that IS the whole point!
So yes,thanks for posting all this cool stuff,respect.

Thanks jake! When I put an axe in circulation, I want to make sure it severs a need.

To be fair, only about a quarter of my Rixfords are in circulation. Pre WWII, and certain pre- VT flood of 1927 I preserve. And lightly used on original haft I treasure as well. I love Vermont history. So yeah, I'm a tool as well.

Here’s an update on the shiny Rixford R46.

You might remember my first struggle was wanting this to be a good cutter to put on a 36” haft, but that’s soo not what this head was meant to be. Its much more a splitter’s profile as a stamped 4 lb head weighing in at 3.66 lbs. The other struggle was figuring out what this axe could excel at and what it could it bring to the ‘users’ table that was unique. Josh’s comment “I'd swing it man!” kept ringing in my head. So, I did something a bit different for me. I pulled out a 28” handle I had saved for a completely different purpose and gave it a go. It’s a thick-ish handle for 28” which works perfectly for the 3.66 lbs (I generally prefer a thicker handle anyway, the thinner handles don’t sit in my hands well). All my splitters are on 32” hafts, so this fits the “what it could it bring to the ‘users’ table that was unique” criteria. I had made the comment “Does the shiny head deserves a fancy handle?” While there is almost nothing fancy about me or anything I do, this haft does have some great character with the heartwood/sapwood contrast (I didn’t care for it when I first got it, but I love it with this head...especially at the top of they eye).

I gotta be honest, I think this came out great. Handle length hung is 27”. It’s gonna be a powerhouse splitter, and with the shorter haft, I think my wife might be dabbling into splitting some large stuff (and as Josh mentioned, “polished axes release so easy when they bind in a cut”, so it will be easier for her to release when splitting). I haven’t sharpened it just yet, but it’s gonna be great!

Thanks all for your comments. Y’all help me solve a puzzle.
Y1TPGI8.jpg

6ifKL3q.jpg

2DQtrDY.jpg

nnAdFZQ.jpg

URaAPFF.jpg

huawOF7.jpg

xBHudXx.jpg

ZVEjK4U.jpg

You might remember my first struggle was wanting this to be a good cutter to put on a 36” haft, but that’s soo not what this head was meant to be. Its much more a splitter’s profile as a stamped 4 lb head weighing in at 3.66 lbs. The other struggle was figuring out what this axe could excel at and what it could it bring to the ‘users’ table that was unique. Josh’s comment “I'd swing it man!” kept ringing in my head. So, I did something a bit different for me. I pulled out a 28” handle I had saved for a completely different purpose and gave it a go. It’s a thick-ish handle for 28” which works perfectly for the 3.66 lbs (I generally prefer a thicker handle anyway, the thinner handles don’t sit in my hands well). All my splitters are on 32” hafts, so this fits the “what it could it bring to the ‘users’ table that was unique” criteria. I had made the comment “Does the shiny head deserves a fancy handle?” While there is almost nothing fancy about me or anything I do, this haft does have some great character with the heartwood/sapwood contrast (I didn’t care for it when I first got it, but I love it with this head...especially at the top of they eye).

I gotta be honest, I think this came out great. Handle length hung is 27”. It’s gonna be a powerhouse splitter, and with the shorter haft, I think my wife might be dabbling into splitting some large stuff (and as Josh mentioned, “polished axes release so easy when they bind in a cut”, so it will be easier for her to release when splitting). I haven’t sharpened it just yet, but it’s gonna be great!

Y1TPGI8.jpg

6ifKL3q.jpg

2DQtrDY.jpg

nnAdFZQ.jpg

URaAPFF.jpg

huawOF7.jpg

xBHudXx.jpg

ZVEjK4U.jpg
forgot to mention, yellow birch wedge, another Josh influence.

Y1TPGI8.jpg

6ifKL3q.jpg

2DQtrDY.jpg

nnAdFZQ.jpg

URaAPFF.jpg

huawOF7.jpg

xBHudXx.jpg

ZVEjK4U.jpg

Beautiful axe, perfect marriage.
Excellent hang and a tip o the hat to the wedge man Josh :D:D:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Get chopping and wedge bangin':cool:

Here’s an update on the beaten Rixford Kentucky R55.

As a reminder, “Mushroomed like crazy, top of the eye is bent. It’s horrible given how beautiful this pattern looks on a 3 lber.” I’m guessing it’s originally a 3 lber as it doesn’t have that much wear and weighs 2.86 lbs. My challenge was centered around the abuse and what that meant for it’s future. Once again, Josh’s comment haunted me “I'd swing it man!”.

I decided to play the “put your most abused axe on your most abused haft” game. OK, I made that game up, but it has worked astoundingly well for me in the past. So, I have this 30” broken haft, split vertically from the top down. A while back I saturated it with wood glue and clamped like a madman hoping that this last ditch effort might work. Messed up haft meet messed up head. Regarding the “what it could it bring to the ‘users’ table that was unique” criteria, it is clearly a chopper, and all my choppers are 30-32”. This particular 30” handle is at 28” hung; light and whippy. It brings something new.

You can see the split in the haft, and the head speaks for itself. But, it really punches above its weight cutting really deep into some seasoned red maple logs. I took some hard swing and the handle held true. I think this was a perfect fit given the damage to the haft. The lugs on the Kentucky really help hold things together. It probably won’t get heavy use, but it’s an absolute joy to swing.

Thanks again for all your comments. Another puzzle solved!

EmDbsu5.jpg

DZhQ3xG.jpg

ZQRmsr9.jpg

7EzE8Lw.jpg

bAThuXD.jpg

dy7Z3MI.jpg

Additionally, I now have a matching set of SB and DB (originally) 3lb R55s cutters on (originally) 30” hafts.

LHZ4PWS.jpg

2NKQroC.jpg

Back