Kydex What's going on with these sheaths?

So I ordered seven sheaths from a popular custom kydex maker. Most of the sheaths didnt fit my knives except for two of them that were shipped back with knives sheathed in them.

I already sent back four of them and they arrived back the same as when I shipped them out, one of them was fine, it had a knife in it.

I sent the maker a knife to make a couple of sheaths with and those dont fit. Chances are one would have fit if the knife would have been sheathed but they were placed back in their original sheaths (made by the same maker).

What could be going on here?

Since the one thing that seems to be consistent is that if the sheath arrives with a knife in it that setup will work, otherwise my knives wont fit.

The knives are three Busse TGLBs, two TGA2s, and two Swamp Rat infidus.

Should I just say screw it and throw these away and go with someone else? For storage I either use kydex or nothing. When I ordered these I was basically like "These would be pretty cool" so I placed an order.

What would you do? These are my options.

- throw away the sheaths
- send them back one at a time knife / sheath and repeat until they are all fixed
- figure out a third option
Go with leather sheaths from a maker here and be done with it! Send them the knife and the sheath will fit like a glove!

Its this simple. You ordered a product, you should get that product in a usable form.

Now, kydex is a stable material once set, excessive heat or cold will affect it a bit though.

Second, Busse knives do have some variations, ever so slight most often, but enough to cause some fittment issues in such a non flexible material as kydex. Its either going to be a little loose or a bit tight if the knife being used as a mold is off a little. Even a 16th of an inch will cause some misfit. That is the only thing I can figure that might be your trouble, the maker might have an ever so slightly smaller knife.

All my knives are stored in their sheaths, those that have them that is, cobblers syndrome is real. :p Quality materials and care not to sheath a wet or dirty knife go a long way to keeping them in good order.

Higgs, I cannot contact you for some reason, can you send me a note via my forum email? I have a couple of questions for you. :)

These are sweet!

lIAoFalh.jpg

Last edited:
Kiah and I are the, THE, moderators here in the S&S forum. This is a drama free zone and harassment is not tolerated in any shape or form. Off topic posts are ok as long as it contributes to the subject in some form or another, fyi, the one in question does not.

I do not recognize either maker there, but bias makes me say those leather sheaths look mighty nice. :D

We wont start a hunt here, so if anyone does recognize said maker, keep it to yourself and post, if necessary, in the GB&U. That is where that kind of thing belongs.

In the meantime, as I said and adding this. If your unhappy that is the key. Either it gets fixed to your satisfaction, or you get refunded for what you are unhappy with.

If you haven't already, please do send me a note.

I did not make those thread tags. I cant delete them for some reason.

I have requested a refund.
Sorry, I should have been more specific. The post in question referred to storage of knives instead of kydex sheath fitment. The post was off topic, and apparently a jab at you. Not needed in a thread looking for advice. I hope that clears it up a little.

I'll also have a look at those tags, any inappropriate ones will be dealt with accordingly.

I basically wanted to get some taco sheaths in place of some pancakes then pick up some for the three TGLBs I bought this month.

The temperature difference was about 30 degrees we had a cold front for a few days but it only got down to like 45 or something.

The sheaths that he put knives in work just fine, the others are unusable. This detail is what I was curious about. As I mentioned before I have a dozen or so of his sheaths. Almost every Busse I own came with one.

Here's some bad fitting kydex:

lIAoFalh.jpg
Temperature difference not near the extremes of super hot or cold isn't going to impact kydex like that in my experience.

I have or have had plenty of kydex from the same maker, and in fact the same sheath for my TGLB, ordered without sending in the knife. Fit on all the sheaths I have from him have been perfectly acceptable, and have not had the issues you describe. As leatherman leatherman said, with Busse there can be slight variation knife to knife (same with lots of companies). Another thing to consider is that kydex retention is a very personal thing. I prefer the retention on my kydex to be on the near impossible to remove side. It would appear you do not. I've had 30-40 kydex sheaths over the years. Only 3 have had my exact perfect desired retention from the maker/factory (one from this maker on a BK-5). All other kydex sheaths I have owned have required some modification to dial them in to what I prefer. This has been across the industry from some of the top kydex people and knife companies.

Hopefully the maker does right by you. Please keep us posted on the outcome.

I'm a leather worker, and I don't know "get up from sic 'em" about Kydex or any of the thermal dependent methods, but what I do know is I frequently get the old "do I have to send you the knife", "can't you just work from accurate measurements" (who measures? you or me? accurate says who?) and so forth. My answer always is NO you don't have to send me the knife IF you don't give a sh*t one way or the other if it fits your knife. The actual fact of the matter is I won't even consider a commission if I don't have the exact knife in the shop. Not one like it...THE EXACT KNIFE THAT THE SHEATH WILL CARRY.

Now back to the point of this thread, if your maker did not have your exact knives to work with, well then a good bit of the blame falls back on you. Part goes to him for even taking the job on without the exact knife in hand.....but if the opposite is true and he did have the exact knives then 100% of the screw up is caught in his trap, and he should have been aware of it BEFORE the sheath even left this shop!

Paul

I don't have much experience with Kydex. I can definitely see a difference between two knives same model. Idk. Sounds like your pleasant about it. I'm sure it will work out

Back