Headlamp with spare batteries
Wool blanket
Kershaw Camp 10
Duofold sharpener
Compass
Condor Greenland Axe
Solar lantern
Emergency water packs
Ammo box with a variety off ammo that suits a wide range of calibers I own.
Energy bars
Gorilla Tape
Large Three Day Pack
Carhart Jacket
Cash
Fishing gear.
Cold Steel Shovel

I keep this in a large container marked "Bug Out".

I have another container next to it that container next to it marked "Vehicle" that contains an assortment of tools, recovery gear, air compressor, gloves, etc.

A third lot marked "Personal" contains ID for all my family, more ammo, a few pictures of each of my family members, extra clothes and blankets, more water and dry food. A larger Medkit is also in there. Also some dog food for our protectors, and more flashlights.

I am forgetting a bunch of stuff, but I also have a generator, spare fuel, power cords, chainsaw and fuel, all stacked next to the boxes, which are right next to a truck.

As we are on a small island, there is not many places to go, but the last time we had a hurricane, tsunami, and fires this stuff was super handy to have ready.

I got caught out in the forrest in the Pacific Northwest overnight one time, on a cold and rainy night. It gave me plenty of time to think of what I would want in a "survival kit".

In a small pack I have:
- 6x8 tarp and 100ft twine
- thick fleece blanket
- rain poncho
- fire making stuff
- folding saw
- Leatherman supertool 300
- flashlight
- snacks (candy bars)
- water bottles & filter
- compass
- duct tape

I take it with me every time i go on a day hike or exploring. And I've needed it a couple times.

I got caught out in the forrest in the Pacific Northwest overnight one time, on a cold and rainy night. It gave me plenty of time to think of what I would want in a "survival kit".

In a small pack I have:
- 6x8 tarp and 100ft twine
- thick fleece blanket
- rain poncho
- fire making stuff
- folding saw
- Leatherman supertool 300
- flashlight
- snacks (candy bars)
- water bottles & filter
- compass
- duct tape

I take it with me every time i go on a day hike or exploring. And I've needed it a couple times.
I like to carry a chair to keep me off the cold/ wet/ bumpy / buggy etc ground. If the ground is too vegetated or rough to lie down on, a chair can still provide more rest than sitting directly on the ground. REI Flexlite chairs range from 1 to 3 lbs with the heavier chairs being taller and more comfortable, and they roll up into a compact bundle.

Those mylar space blankets are pretty garbage...

A good basic kit: Flashlight, cordage, bic lighter, drinking straw, knives, small whetstone, tarp/poncho, bivy, metal container (for boiling water), compass, signal mirror, whistle, and a first aid kit (its contents can easily become a separate topic).

You can build out the kit from there. Some things that are nice to have: duct tape, food, a saw, extra socks and underwear, tinder, a ground pad, a sleeping bag, a portable charger, and extras/spares of your other items.

Really nice to have: a g🤬d d🤬n f🤬king phone so you can call for help and be easily located by emergency services.

Sea to Summit’s Traveler 750 loft dry down sleeping bag/ quilt weighs about 1 pound (!) and comes in 50 degree and 30 degree models. Light and compact enough (compresses to the size of a water bottle but also comes with a nice zippered storage sack) that one can actually throw it into a daypack or go bag without any hesitation to take the edge off a night spent out in the cold. They have even lighter models such as their Sparks bag but those are more expensive.

Last edited:
Kits depend on your surroundings.

What kills you first is usually the cold.
So avoiding beeing wet and the wind is a goal way above any fire by far.

The only environment I would need to "survive" would be high mountains.
And in this case my kit consists of a bivy bag and a headlamp.
Together with proper clothing for warmth and protection and my backpack so sit on I will likely get through any night.

Pack a small emergency light like petzl e+lite into your kit.

Having cyclones at the moment. So mine is very wet weather oriented. Cash, waterproof jacket, pants, goggles, poncho. A bit of water, some soup and a knock off jetboil. A towel, and a mat.

I have treated myself to a waterproof bush hat. Which is quite nice in the rain.

I keep a bunch of "survival" gear in my truck. Axe, Silky Saw, shovel, food, water, cookset, blankets, sleeping pad, tarp, tools, etc. I also have a full recovery kit (straps, cable, come-along, jack, etc). I use these from time to time in non-survival situations. The shovel and axe has gotten out of a lot of sticky situations alone that I would have had to call for recovery if I didn't have them. The Yakstrap is incredible if you have another vehicle, it adds twice the power by being dynamic.

I also built quite a few of these small kits from Extra gum plastic cases. They're the perfect size for a few essentials and cheap enough I have them stashed everywhere. I have them in my hunting vest, work bag, my backpack I carry when I'm out with my kids, etc. I don't usually carry a lighter, compass, or water tablets but these little kits make sure I have them on me.

I have:
Mini Bic
Compass
Super Glue
Hot Glue
Flashlight and spare AAA
10 yards of 200 lbs cord
30 yards of 10 lbs braided fishing line on a spool
Needles and fish hooks to use with the line
2 yards of snare wire
Floss
Eye Drops
Duct Tape
Tweezers
Bandaids
Meds
Water tablets

I honestly use the bandaids and hot glue (with the lighter) the most as my kids always need a bandaid or something repaired. The compass has been essential a few times when my ball compass falls off my hunting gear.

sgekt6i.jpg

DKh0ve5.jpg

We were living in Southern California at the time I created this very basic kit. It was designed to get me home (10-15 miles) after an earthquake that either squashed my vehicle or made it inaccessible. It was designed to be very small and inconspicuous so it would fit into the small messenger bag I EDC, or distributed among the pockets of my clothing if needed. Seasonally appropriate clothing is the last bit. I'm still working out the needed changes/additions for northern New Mexico.

Here it is:

1: CUTTING TOOL – (a) Leatherman Juice CS4 in my messenger bag

2: COMBUSTION – (a) Bic lighter wrapped with Hempwick ™, (b) small ferrocerium rod, (c) small fresnel lens, (d) small tinned beeswax candle

3: COVER – (a) inexpensive disposable plastic poncho, (b) heavy-duty lawn-and-leaf bag

4: CORDAGE – two packages of waxed dental floss

5: COTTON -- one 28” by 28” bandana in my messenger bag

6: CANDLEPOWER – (a) a 3-LED penlight, (b) a compact LED flashlight in my messenger bag

7: COMPASS -- an excellent Chinese copy of the Silva Type 27

8: CASH – usually about $100 in small bills

9: WATER – Silcock key, and the disposable water bottle I almost always have with me

Glenn's EDC Kit Picture.jpg

================

This will continue to serve as the core of any kit I carry now, here in NM.

Back