What's the Best oil to use on my canvas micarta?

I traded for a beautiful BATAC LE this week, and the handles were very dry and dull looking but I put some furniture oil on them, and boy did they look good! but then in 15 minutes were back to bla again,, What is the best oil to put on these grips that will keep them looking good for a while? or is it just a matter of continuing to put oil on them until the handles get saturated?
thanks guys,

Glad to hear you got that beautiful knife ;)

Mineral Oil is what you are looking for. You can find it cheap at any drugstore. You may need a few applications before it really stays rich looking. If you end up not liking it at some point, you can scrub the handle with soap and water and they will clean right up.

A great big +1 on the mineral oil. After all my years in nursing, this is my favorite use for the stuff, hands down! :D Apply as needed, wipe off the excess, makes that micarta look great! :thumbup:

you people are hopeless.
a hermit in tibet taught me that the only solution to dull micarta scales is to immerse the entire knife in bacon drippings for 27 days, beginning on a new moon.

what? :D

The oil in your skin will darken the micarta,try putting some acetone on it to lighten it up..works great,of course it will darken again with use.

try some birchwood casey's tru oil. get it at your local gun store.

Skunk, is this the one that tends to last longer than the mineral oil?

As for mineral oil, it's a laxative. So if you're having trouble finding it, just tell your pharmacist that you're constipated. However, rubbing Ex-Lax on your micarta will not have the same effect.

yes it does last longer, and mineral oil can make your handle run out of your hand :eek:

Is that made from real babies?

Just how hard to you squeeze them to get out the oil?

Do you have to take the seeds out of 'em first?

I always get confused on this subject.

I think Swift covered all this in A Modest Proposal.

Body oil! Use that baby! :D

Maybe we could get hooked in with a women's beach volleyball circuit. They could be a great source of body oil.

[Insert mental image here of a bikini-clad player and then pretend Progunner has already edited it out] :p

Maybe we could get hooked in with a women's beach volleyball circuit. They could be a great source of body oil.

[Insert mental image here of a bikini-clad player and then pretend Progunner has already edited it out] :p

How very considerate of you to save me the work. :D

Or, you could leave the slabs to natually darken if you think of Princess slathered up with oil:barf:

I use Olive oil. Feels like it improves the grip to me...almost makes the micarta feel sticky. I think it makes it super dark though. Not sure off-hand anymore...I guess I could compare my user AK handle to one of my Safe queens.

--BubbaThud

bubba, doesn't the olive oil go rancid after a while?

bubba, doesn't the olive oil go rancid after a while?

My thought too. That's why mineral oil is recommend for cutting board maintenance as well. It doesn't go rancid like vegetable/fruit oils.

Silly question but I gotta ask......Do you HAVE to oil micarta or can it just be left as is? :confused:

Silly question but I gotta ask......Do you HAVE to oil micarta or can it just be left as is? :confused:

For micarta, most just use oil for the coloration (darkening effect). It's not like bone or natural scales that need a little oil from time to time.

Unoiled

ASH1LE1.jpg

Oiled

ASH1LEOiled2.jpg

Oiled, after a little handling.

ASH1LE4.jpg

Man, pics and everything! Thanks guys, I knew if I had a question that you all would not let me down... although I like the women's volleyball team idea the best followed by the emersion in bacon fat, I'm going to try out the mineral oil on one and some birchwood casey on another and see which last the longest... I guess that's what nice about G-10, doesnt' need oil and always colorful.

Back